• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Milk diet

fatcow38

Hello I have my first appt at l and d tomorrow and am dreading starting the milk diet anyone have any tips on how to deal with cooking for a large family and not being desperate to eat x

I'm on pre-op milk diet now day 9 op is 5th July other than first day not felt hungry at all. Felt tired and a bit rough til start of day 5 but have felt fine since then a bit tired if I have a busy day at work but not to bad and still no hunger you'd think I have had op already as have to remember to eat yoghurts and drink the milk. Even cooking smells aren't getting to me and I supervise the school canteen breakfast club so loads bacon rolls etc tantalising the air.

fatcow38 said:
Hello I have my first appt at l and d tomorrow and am dreading starting the milk diet anyone have any tips on how to deal with cooking for a large family and not being desperate to eat x

Good luck on your journey x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thank you for you advice I am just so nervous as apart from my children husband and family food is my life :-(

Hi and welcome.

Food is a symptom, a cruch, a pretend friend but it's not the answer. I used think so too, that food and family was all I had. But there is a way to have food in the normal way, for fuel and to have a healthy relasionship with it. So don't be scared, it'll still be there but instead of it ruling you, you will learn to rule it!!!

Good luck

xx.

I'm on the weight management programme at the L&D and been on the milk diet now for almost 5 weeks. I lost 16lbs in the first 2 and half weeks and another 7lbs since then. Need to lose 4lbs more to reach my 10% goal by 13th July, fingers crossed!

At the beginning I cleared a space in the kitchen cupboards that was just for my things like bovril, oxo, sugar free jellys, sugar free crusha etc and a shelf on the fridge for my milk and told myself that these are the only places I'm to go to when I'm hungry be that real hunger, emotional/stress eating or sheer boredom.

I also have to cook for the family and do the shopping but I have told myself that's my 'job' for now while on the milk and I also tend to cook more things that they like and I don't, so it's less tempting for me. I also did some batch cooking and it's ready in the freezer for days where it's hard to be around food. I find it much easier to micro the frozen stuff than have to be in the kitchen chopping and cooking and the family still get healthy home made meals.

I have my chicken bovril when the rest of the family eat their dinner. I put it in a bowl and drink it with a spoon! lol feels like I'm having soup and its been much easier to cope. Sometimes I put half a curry oxo in to change the flavour and then I'll have a crusha milkshake which feels like dessert. I eat my sugar free jelly in the evenings which was always a bad time for the munchies to strike :)

I drink lots of sugar free flavoured fizzy water to keep me full and try not to leave it longer than 3 hours between pints of milk or I get very hungry.

The first few days were definately the hardest, days three and four I had a terrible headache but that soon passed.
I've had the odd day where I've really craved something so bad I could smell it! I had to ask hubby to hide the car keys to stop me driving to the chippy lol

I've also cleaned out every single cupboard in the house and I generally try to keep myself busy to take my mind of food. I just keep reminding myself why I'm doing this, (theres a list on the fridge door) what the long term goal is and how much healthier I'll be in the future.

How did your appointment go?
Good luck with your journey
Tracey xxx

Last edited:
Thank you again for all of your sound advice it us much appreciated I don't feel half as apprehensive as I did. my appointment is 3.30 today so just hanging around now. Are you aloud to eat yoghurts on the Pre op milk diet and you know everyone is saying about chicken vibrio is it in a jar like marmite? Xx

yep chicken bovril is in a jar just like marmite and the regular beef bovril. I found my local Asda doesn't stock it but Tesco does. No yoghurts on my milk diet sheet :(

Last edited:
a few weeks ago lunch would have been two rounds of sandwiches with mayo, two bags of crisps and a choc biscuit! How times have changed lol xxx

Hi Fatcow38 (I cannot really call you that - lol)

I hope it all went well this afternoon. I have my 1st appointment at the L&D next Friday so am not far behind you :).
I will also need to cook for the family and although I am not worried about the milk diet itself I think the cooking will probably be one of the hardest things to do. I think my trusty slow cooker will be used a lot during those weeks and they will also be eating a lot of lamb (which i don't like !).

Let us know how you got on.

Been to the hospital today to be told that I can't start yet still no blood test results so all that worry for nothing :-/

Hi frodoald you can call me Caroline or fat cow I have been called that since I can remember I went to the hospital this afternoon and it was a waste of time as they couldn't get me started on anything as they didnt have my blood tests results.
I hope you get on better than I did xx :)

Back