• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Milk Diet

Fashionably Late

is a skinny size XS & 6!
Can someone post the milk diet for me? I haven't been given any information from the dietician regarding the milk diet but I need to shift some weight and thought I would try this.

Hi there, the milk diet is not to be used to lose weight, it is for liver shrinking and should not be done for an extended period without a dieticians guidance.

If you want to lose some weight prior to your pre-op diet, contact GP and get advice first.

Can someone post the milk diet for me? I haven't been given any information from the dietician regarding the milk diet but I need to shift some weight and thought I would try this.

When you think about it...it's not really any different to Cambridge, Lighter life or even SlimFast. (although Slimfast would be higher in carbs and you would need to supplement vits and mins)

Might be worth checking with your dietician first though as my surgeon said that dieting too hard affects the joins...I suppose this depends on the length of time between the diet and the surgery though.

How are things with you now?... Any more news with the complaint?

(((hugs)))

I was just going to do it for a couple of weeks, that is all. My GP won't help as I have been referred for WLS and the dietician at the hospital says Xenical is the answer to everything, even though I am horribly ill.

Why not do the Slimfast plan, where you have shake for breakfast, shake for lunch and a low fat meal in the evening.

This way would be better for you and nutrionally balanced.

Most people only go on milk diets prior to laprascopic surgeries.

Another option is to stick to 1000 calories a day and exercise.

Please do not go on milk diet, it's not right for you at this stage. I know you see people loosing weight but it will make you feel weak and woozy to begin with. if you are feeling ill you need good nutrition not poor nutrition.

hello i total agree with cazbandy the milk diet is a liver shrinking diet and can be dangerous if done to long please try a low cal diet or as cazbandy says the slimfast plan goodluck honey x x x x x sarah

I agree with Caz the milk diet should only be done for liver shrinking purposes and not weight loss - I did the it as my preferred pre op diet and it is not the easiest thing to do. You are not getting enough nutrients and viatmins you need for your body to function properly. You could try the slimfast diet as they have all the nutrients and vitamins and minerals your body needs. Or you could try contacting the dietician at heartlands and see if she can suggest another form of dieting during this early stage of the process.

I was just going to do it for a couple of weeks, that is all. My GP won't help as I have been referred for WLS and the dietician at the hospital says Xenical is the answer to everything, even though I am horribly ill.

Hi FC

Forgive me if I am wrong but did you say (somewhere on mini's) that you have IBS?...(Might have got you mixed up with someone else)

If you have IBS, I don't think Xenical would be a good idea...I know that IBS and Colitis are different but given the fact that both conditions have a huge impact on what comes out the other end, Xenical could make it worse....I am not allowed it.

Like I say...sorry if I got it wrong about the IBS.

(((hugs)))

Yes, I have IBS which is horrible with the Xenical. The dietician and the idiot doctor at Heartlands have both said that if I refuse to do Xenical again, then they will refuse to put me forward for surgery. They could care less that I cannot leave the loo, am bleeding and vomiting.

I am sorry for asking about the Milk Diet. I have seen many people being put on it several months prior to surgery in order to lose weight and several people on here have had to do the diet for month prior to surgery.

I am seriosuly considering giving this malarky up as I am so sick and they won't help me until I lose the weight.

If you are bleeding and vomitting sounds to me like you need to wander into A & E and find out why...and soon.

That is not normal.

You need to talk to a different doctor and not be fobbed off with pills that are not suitable for you.

PLEASE sort this out, you should not have to put up with this at all.

I went to A&E and they said it is a side effect of the Xenical. It is awful. But there is no other doctor I can talk to at Heartlands as I am waiting for someone to respond to my complaint. They have threatened me, knowing the side effects I am going through, that if I refuse the Xenical, then they will refuse putting me forward for surgery. It is such a crappy situation to be in.

You do not need to be suffering, if the tablets are causing you SERIOUS problems then you need to just walk into your own doctors surgery and ask for an emergency appointment.

You need to find an alternative to this, not suffer in silence.

This is all I can advise you to do.

I went to A&E and they said it is a side effect of the Xenical. It is awful. But there is no other doctor I can talk to at Heartlands as I am waiting for someone to respond to my complaint. They have threatened me, knowing the side effects I am going through, that if I refuse the Xenical, then they will refuse putting me forward for surgery. It is such a crappy situation to be in.

Xenical works by stopping your body absorb the fats in your food and processes the output in an undignified manner. I was a bowel nurse for many years and one of the most successful bits of advice we gave was 'eat like an african' (bit similar to Rosemary Connelly). African villagers have no access to fats and cannot store them (fridges etc) so eat a very different diet which results in no IBS (which is just an umbrella word used for a myriad of bowel and tummy problems). (Note : I am not trying to generalise here or infer that a high bibre or carb diet is the most healthy approach either).

MY patients lost stones and while cutting out one food group is never a long term solution -if you have IBS PLUS you are on the dreaded runny pooh inducing tablets, then if you can, cut the fats out of your diet. You will see the results within a couple of days.

Best of luck!

And PS - just because they give you the tablets it does not mean you have to take them ;)

I have been eating a low fat diet (Rosemary Conley) and still have the dreaded side effects plus blood coming out of both ends. My IBS has been really severe lately due to stress.

I think I will have to stop the tablets.

I agree with Caz too. You need to get this sorted and if you're wanting to try something then try the slimfast. The ready made shakes are so much nicer than a glass of milk anyway and you'll be getting the protien etc that you need. Good luck and PLEASE don't suffer in silence.

I have been eating a low fat diet (Rosemary Conley) and still have the dreaded side effects plus blood coming out of both ends. My IBS has been really severe lately due to stress.

I think I will have to stop the tablets.

Hi FC

Just found your thread again.

You never bleed with IBS....never....some people get mixed up with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and IBD (inflammatory bowel disease).

You only bleed with an inflammatory bowel condition like Colitis and or Proctitis....There are other conditions where you can lose blood from the back passage and even haemorrhoids can cause profuse blood lose.

Can I ask you a personal question?...I know it's not a nice thing to talk about but do you lose any mucus or pus looking stuff with faeces or with the blood on its own?...If so, then this needs looking at.

I have had 2 major colitis flare up's, the first about 9 - 10 years ago and the next one about 7 years after that...I lost so much blood it was scary ... My GP will not allow me to have xenical or any anti-inflammatory pain meds...However I am very lucky that I am in remission...This will not affect your chances of getting a bypass as long as you are not having a flare up at the time of you operation.

Please don't give up...you have come this far...I fully empathise with this arduous journey.

I sincerely hope that you do not have an IBD but any blood loss from that area does need looking at.

(((hugs))) (((take care)))

Last edited:
Let them carry on prescribing (so they think you have taken them) and just don't take them. Carry on healthy eating and you should lose the 5% weight in the 3 months. As I mentioned in our private messages, I am going to either do the CD or use the Slimfasts that I have purchased but still have a healthy meal at night time.

Heartlands are following the NICE guidelines where people have to try all means of slimming pills before they will allow us to go any further. Not that this has made any difference with me as I have been on Xenical over a year now and previous to that I was on Reductil but my gp took me off those because I am on Zisprin soltab for depression & anxiety more the latter. I have also attended a weight loss management clinic before which I found useless and what they were telling me I already knew from attending slimming classess at the same time.

I know it's not fair that we have been treated differently to other patients at Heartlands but I have a feeling that they are having a shuffle around as they didn't seem to know what they were doing when I went the Thursday before you. The dietician didn't even have any litterature to hand out etc

I do wish you luck with your 5% and I do know how you are feeling as I am feeling the same way. We just need to get on with it or we won't be referred any further for the wls. xx

Back