• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Milk diet?

LouiseH

I was hoping someone could help me. I am due to start my pre op diet tomorrow and I want to do the milk one as I feel I could stick to this more than the low cal one. The hospital doesn't recommend it but have said I can do it. The only problem is they don't seem to know what I need to have. From what I have seen on here I am lead to believe that I should have 4 pints of ss a day, 4 litres of water and I can also have sugar free jelly. Am I still ok to have coffee or tea and is it one whole jelly a day or do I portion it out?

Thankyou, Lou x

Hi there
Just a question (hope u dont mind) why didnt they recommend it for you??

All the best - MeJulie x

I don't mind at all hun. The dietician said they don't recommend it because of being on liquids after the op. I have my pre op tomorrow so I will ask her to explain it better x

I don't mind at all hun. The dietician said they don't recommend it because of being on liquids after the op. I have my pre op tomorrow so I will ask her to explain it better x
ok tyvm for replying, ask for the diet sheet for the pre op milk diet. they should have this to hand . x x all the best

i was told unlimited sugar free jelly and I was also allowed 1 low fat yogurt a day and the rest you have right, unlimited sugar free squash as well also 2 oxo or bovril drinks a day as well, but each hospital has a different requirement so best check with your team to be on the safe side hun xxx Good luck on it xxx

my pre op diet states

3 pints of semi skimmed milk daily or 3 slim fast
2 diet/healthy lo fat, low sugar yoogurts
1 stock cube per day

Drink freely

water, flavoured water, tea (no sugar), coffee (no sugar), diet drinks, low calorie/no added sugar squash, diluted fruit juices.

No other foods or fluids are allowed during this pre op period.

Dont forget multi vitamin and mineral suppliment during this time.

Thatis what my pre op plan said but all suppliers are different. I couldn't have jelly but i know some ppl were allowed.

Good luck

P.S I am not addicted to milky coffee since pre op ha!!!

Jayne

Thanks for your replys guys, I feel a little more confident about it know. I'm not sure I will be able to get much out of the dietician about it as when I phoned her she told me to make sure I got the info from a reliable site. I will ask anyway x

omg that is a terrible answer!!! tell her sh eis being paid either by yourself or the nhs you give you a service to help you succeed so why are you having to research yourself?? terrible!! My dietician well not just mine ha George is an absolute angel I even say he is oen of my Charlie's angels with the surgeon and the girl who sold it me as the others which i am sure they aren't impressed with. Good luck

Lou - take it from someone who knows what she's talking about concerning the milk diet DON'T DO IT!!!! Do the low cal one instead it will give you extra nutrition that will give you better chances of healing, energy levels and just getting nutrition in. It is a long time to be on liquids both pre-op and then post op and i do understand that to do the milk diet when they want maximum liver shrinkage in order to do keyhole surgery but you don't know how you will fair after the op (hopefully all will be hunky dory) but if there is a slim chance that you might become anaemic etc then the milk diet won't have done you any favours.

Sorry to have gone on about it but i had my op in June and it took me until late November to feel healthier and have a normal haemoglobin level. Sending hugs with fairy dust xx

Lou - take it from someone who knows what she's talking about concerning the milk diet DON'T DO IT!!!! Do the low cal one instead it will give you extra nutrition that will give you better chances of healing, energy levels and just getting nutrition in. It is a long time to be on liquids both pre-op and then post op and i do understand that to do the milk diet when they want maximum liver shrinkage in order to do keyhole surgery but you don't know how you will fair after the op (hopefully all will be hunky dory) but if there is a slim chance that you might become anaemic etc then the milk diet won't have done you any favours.

Sorry to have gone on about it but i had my op in June and it took me until late November to feel healthier and have a normal haemoglobin level. Sending hugs with fairy dust xx

I didn't think of it that way, I just thought I would fair better on the milk having done Lighter Life twice and lasting more than 2 months. The only reason I couldn't carry on was due to money.
If my Mum read what you had put I know she would try and steer me towards the low cal diet because she thinks I'm a bad healer. When I had the caesarean with my twins it was awful after. Having it done keyhole though should be different, it was when I was sterilised.
I have a bit of time to think about it. I am fasting as of 11 tonight and my appointment isn't until 11 in the morning. I will talk it through with them tomorrow. Thankyou for that hun, I will definately give it serious thought x

Last edited:
Hi Lou, I Go with what topsy says I went on the low cal diet and flew it, as if you do get hungry you can fill up on veg & salad(but not root veg) in the same bracket your allowed 1 small fist size baked spud and 1x slice of bread with meat prawn ect per day. With the weather as cold as it is at the mo I shudder the thought of ice cold milk lol. Gail xUOTE=LouiseH;2144739]I didn't think of it that way, I just thought I would fair better on the milk having done Lighter Life twice and lasting more than 2 months. The only reason I couldn't carry on was due to money.
If my Mum read what you had put I know she would try and steer me towards the low cal diet because she thinks I'm a bad healer. When I had the caesarean with my twins it was awful after. Having it done keyhole though should be different, it was when I was sterilised.
I have a bit of time to think about it. I am fasting as of 11 tonight and my appointment isn't until 11 in the morning. I will talk it through with them tomorrow. Thankyou for that hun, I will definately give it serious thought x[/QUOTE]

Back