• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Milk diet

Myz24

hi all,
I started my pre-op milk diet yesterday.
I am basically just guessing what im allowed as I haven't been sent a diet sheet!
It was meant to be sent to me and wasn't..rang yesterday and they said they'd email it and haven't!!
So was just wandering if people could let be know what they are having?? I am with the hspital group so be good to know what they recommend?
Any help really appreciated!!
Thanks xx

Hi Myz - good luck with your pre op diet.

I am with THG. They emailed me everything plus it was in the docs they sent even before the consultation so I'm surprised you didn't receive yours.

I was allowed 3 pints of semi skimmed milk and 1 oxo beef cube a day, plus unlimited NAS squash, tea and coffee (both decaf). You add milk to your tea/coffee from your allowance. If lactose intolerant, you can have soya, rice or oat milk instead.

I was allowed to add slim fast powder to my milk 3 times a day but not the ready made bottles as they are made with skimmed milk. You need the fat soluble vitamins hence the semi skimmed.

Also needed to take 1 multivitamin with minerals an a calcium supplement every day.

Obviously dont just rely on my allowance as this may be different for everyone and do check with them and ask them To email it to you, much faster.

Good luck and remember to drink lots of water - helps with the headaches and hunger. In a couple of days you get used to it :) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thank you!! I've pretty much been doing that! Am I right in thinking your allowed nesquik? I don't like hot drinks so would be nice to have something with some flavour!
I'm going to get on to them first thing as I don't want todo anything wrong!!
Thanks again xxx

No sorry you're not allowed nesquick or any other form of hot choc :( but you can
Have herbal and fruit teas with sweetener :) good luck x

Ah completely forgot about the yogurts lol! I was allowed 4-6 a day. Stick to muller light, thats what i was recommended. and also weightwatchers ones are good x

Milk diet may be hard to digest for women as there body produces less of lactase enzyme which is essential for diet post op. You can have anything light and soothing like boiled veggies and loads of citrus fruits. Also do remember to include a lot of water in your diet. You can have fluids in your diet and Vitamin C containing fruits as they help a lot in healing process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Milk diet may be hard to digest for women as there body produces less of lactase enzyme which is essential for diet post op. You can have anything light and soothing like boiled veggies and loads of citrus fruits. Also do remember to include a lot of water in your diet. You can have fluids in your diet and Vitamin C containing fruits as they help a lot in healing process.

If people are advised by their provider to follow the milk diet, then this is what they should be doing and as such that diet doesn't include boiled veggies and citrus fruits! The diet of course changes post op, but the providers give strict guidelines as to what they should be having . . .and there are many women, myself included who have had the milk diet pre-op and had no problems at all. It isn't there for diet purposes, but to reduce the size of the liver ahead of surgery.

Following the providers advice is important.

Back