• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Milk diet?

Padmdhs

How long can you go on the milk diet for before your op as I was going to go on it to reach my 5%

I'd say two weeks. It's not a diet, it's aim is to deplete your liver of its glycogen stores, so it's shrinks. This is so it's easy for the surgeon to move it out of the way and get to your stomach during your surgery.

I don't know how long you can be on it for but I only did one week pre operation, I suppose people do manage on liquid diets for lengthy periods but how it affects you is anyones guess. Anyway I lost 7lbs in the week some lose more though, good luck with it .

Ok thank you both for your help just wondered how long as I see the surgeon in February and wanted to lose my 5% by then

Doesn't sound like the preop, as you're doing it to get 5% loss. Are you with Luton and Dunstable by any chance?

I did four weeks on it to lose my 5% and I lost more than that.

No I am at university hospital (the old walsgrave) just wanted a way of losing a good amount of weight before I seen my surgeon on the February 3rd and I won't be starting till the start of jan

Ok thank you I will go down the lean meat and side of veg route and sugar free squash and no sugar in tea and hopefully i will shift the 5% thank you for showing me some sense :)

I was given the liquid diet sheet to start my 5% loss after crimbo by Luton

Who is it starting the 5% loss diet New Year's Day pls? Other than me? Xxx

Yes at Luton you have to do the milk diet to lose 5% before you qualify for the surgeon appointment. They want you to do 5% in a month and I think that's really the only way. Its really tough, I did it twice, glad that's miles behind me now!!!

I need to lose 5% before February 3rd when I see the surgeon so I think I need to do the milk diet just wondered was it safe to do for 4 weeks but I guess it has to be for your dietitian to be telling you to be so I think I will give it a go

I did it for 15 days before surgery was cancelled so eat normally for 2weeks then did another 12 day before I had my surgery on 17 th Dec. although you do loss lots of weight the aim is liver shrinkage.

We had to take a multivit and do it under medical supervision at luton because its not safe. Don't do it without medical advice hon

I did 1000 cals for 2 weeks, then milk for 3 weeks. I lost more weight on the 1000cals than on the milk diet! I had more energy on the 1000cals too, so I could do more exercise which helped the weight loss. I can't recommend following the milk diet for anything other than pre-op liver shrinking - it gave me some pretty grim side-effects!

We had to take a multivit and do it under medical supervision at luton because its not safe. Don't do it without medical advice hon

Isaid I would start mthe liquid diet the day after Boxing Day, but have decided to start day after New Year's Day as I have three additional needs adopted kids n don't want to feel ill n exhausted over crimbo period. I need all my patience as it is. Without feeling crap n hungover from sugar denial. So in jan I will be focused n by the time it hurts crimbo will be over n kids back at school soon. Feel a bit of a failure for starting later, it my new life ahead of me and needs to be planned and I need to give myself 100% chance of success so I feel better now knowing I'm in charge n made the right decision to maximise my results , I hope! Please say if I'm right peeps, I need reassurance x

Honestly, I didn't dare screw with mine. I was desperate for my op and didn't dare do a single thing that would jeopardize it. I was terrified of waking up without my bypass or not waking up at all.

If you want the right answer, you need to check with your team. If you want reassurance, you need to ask someone other than me. I want to be nice, and I can see your point of view, but they ask you to do this for your safety. Why up the risks, when revision surgery is already more risky?

Honestly, I didn't dare screw with mine. I was desperate for my op and didn't dare do a single thing that would jeopardize it. I was terrified of waking up without my bypass or not waking up at all.

If you want the right answer, you need to check with your team. If you want reassurance, you need to ask someone other than me. I want to be nice, and I can see your point of view, but they ask you to do this for your safety. Why up the risks, when revision surgery is already more risky?

This is only for 5% weightloss , not pre op. I won't be having surgery until I see the surgeon n get a date, that will be after 5% loss whenever I do it.

I'm looking forward to starting the milk diet. Mine is for liver shrinkage and although my BMI is lower end for having a bypass I still plan on following it to the word. I'm an all or nothing kinda girl!
It's a good way to focus on the count down to op day and beyond.

Two week milk diet starts 1st Jan.
You wait. I'll be on here day three complaining at how hard is and how crap I feel!!!!

Back