• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food intolerance (sigh)

Dandelions

Has anyone else discovered a food intolerance since their op?

I recently had to do a glucose intolerance test to see if in diabetic now. This involved downing 200mls of full fat lucozade which was just horrible. Explained to the nurse that this probably wasn't a great idea for me and asked if there was another option but she dismissed my worries and I just got on with it, hoping I wouldn't be violently ill.

I survived but felt awful. Two days later I had a massive pain in my foot which turned out to be gout, The most painful experience I've ever had. Stopped me driving, couldn't work or sleep, even lying down was so painful, the weight of the duvet on my foot was excruciating.

Now whenever I have any amount of fructose (lucozade is loaded with it) the pain starts again and I have to take these little tablets for four days.

I'm so happy to be off the diabetic register because that was the Main driver for my surgery but I wonder If I had known what was going to happen would I have taken that test ( sigh )

I really shouldn't laugh at this....... but...... I had this same conversation when they did this to me....

The snotty nosed know it all nurse was genuinely surprised when I projectile vomited then spent the remainder of the morning either in the loo, sweating profusely and either passed out across 8 chairs in the waiting area with a waste paper bin in front of me or on a trolley in a empty cubicle.

They only got the one blood sample out of my arm, my blood pressure was too low to get more, and I don't think they dared.

Needless to say the nurse got some 're-training' and every time I'm in (once a month) she has an entire portion of humble pie each time.

Thanks for replying jemina. Seems we are unique in our experience. I'm quite surprised the many health professionals on the site have no opinions :)

Maybe others read their blood forms before they turn up, I didn't on that occasion and I was feeling awful from a slow recovery anyway. Or maybe other blood departments aren't so stupid to make people with a bypass drink that stuff. Bet they haven't repeated it where I went, they had to clean the floors, walls and get new curtains :eek:

Back