• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Missed You All !!!!

staypositive

On The Losing Side
Hi guys - feels like forever since I was last here. Had a really busy couple of weeks towards end of school making sure everything was completed for the hols - then - my modem had a fit and I couldn't get on line. AGGGGHHHHH !!!!!!! :pcwhack:

Just wanted to say a great big congrats to all you guys who have been through the op recently (bands and bypassers) - you are all doin so well - truly inspirational !!!

Can't quite remember were I was up to so excuse me if I am repeating myself.

I am sure I told you all I had been diagnosed with severe sleep apnoea - in case any one does't know and is interested I will explain a little as sleep apnoea is very common in overweight people and counts as one of the co-morbidities under the "nice" guidlines (if anyone is struggling getting funding it may be worth getting checked out).

An "apnoea" is when you stop breathing for 10 seconds or more whilst asleep.

Having completed my sleep study I was told my apnoea index reading was 60 per hour. This meant basically that for every minute I was asleep I was stopping breathing (for 10 seconds or more) - quite frightening !!!

Needless to say I am not getting into a deep sleep hence I am constantly knackered.

The treatment is a CPAP machine - a little oxygen mask worn over the nose attached to a machine that blows air through to keep my passageways from collapsing. Takes some getting used to but has to be better than the alternative.

Anyway - sorry if i am boring you guys - I have now been on CPAP a week and a half, am on my pre-op diet and am gearing up for my bypass surgery on Thursday at Nuffield with Prof Mcmahon.

Can't believe my date has come round so quick - I remember when loads of you on here were counting down in days and now its my turn !!!!

Really good to be back on here - have really missed you guys !!!!!

Great to see you Caroline! Glad you've got the CPAP, sleep apnoea is dangerous so its good you're being treated for it.

6 days is soooo exciting! How are you finding the pre-op?

Shel

Welcome back Caroline!

Wow less than a week to go for you! That's fab!! How are you coping with the pre-op diet?

And how do you feel since you started the CPAP? Do you feel less tired? I didn't have any sleep studies before my op but I always suspected I might have a degree of apnoea because I always feel tired, even after sleeping 12 hours!!

All the best,

Alice xx

OOhh exciting, not long to go now Caroline!! Hope you are coping with the pre-op diet ok, now you are back in the fold, keep posting to let us all know how you are doing x

hi all - thanks for the lovely return wishes.

Pre-op diet not going too bad - the only think I struggle with is I like my big portions. If I am totally not allowed something I seem to cope better than only having a "little" bit.

Wondering if it might be worth me trying the milk diet - what do you guys think?

At the risk of sounding a bit thick what does the milk diet consist of - and please don't just say milk !!!!!!

Is it yoghurt as well ??? In what sort of quantities ???

Thanks mandy

hi Caroline,

I did the milk diet. I think lots of people get lots of different advice on what the milk diet is - but this is the one I did:

Every day for 7 days:
1 litre semi skimmed milk (hot or cold, can be flavoured with coffee or vanilla only)
2.5 litres other fluids (water, sugar free squash, herb tea, tea, coffee)
2 yoghurts (max 100g, less than 100 calories each)

It was really tough for the first few days but then it was fine. I took the week off work because I was really lacking in energy. Dreadful headache for first 3 days - that was the worst thing about it!

Hope that helps,

Alice xx

Thanks Alice - might try swapping over to that tomorrow for my last five days.

Can't believe it has come round so quick still feels a little un-real !!!

Back