• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleep Apnoea & Surgery

ICAWM

I know that sleep apnoea features quite heavily in questionnaires completed re weight loss surgery as a co morbidity but I'm curious about the condition can affect surgery.

I have sleep apnoea and I use a CPAP machine every night. Will this prove problematic for having the op?!

Not if you are used to using it and it makes a big difference I only got my machine when I strated the weightloss journey that's what held me up really getting an app to be seen there then study tests then thye like you to be at least 6 months established on the machine after 5 n stone came off after op I had nutha test and didn't need it any more. I hardly snore at all now has made such a difference. xx

Hi there.. I use a CPAP machine and when I went to the hospital group in Manchester, they said that they would book me into The Nuffield Hospital in Leeds. They do that because Leeds have intensive care beds. I also have a defibrillator but thar wasn't as big a problem. Also I have been told that 98% of patients don't need the machine after a while. I hope that this helps.

Sleep apnoea is often diagnosed so thats part of why its so crucial. I was compliant and doing very well on CPAP so it was not an issue in terms of getting the op, in fact it contributed to me getting funding. During the op it wasn't an issue, but I did struggle immediately post op as with Morphine I would forget to breathe so my SATS would drop. I was fine after a few hours though.

Thank you all.
I knew it counted as comorbidity - I've been using it for over a year now. I was worried that it would complicate surgery (ironically) but feel more assured now.

Back