• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Most indecisive person in the world.....

charleighb

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking on the forum a while now and decided to register and post.

I am 26 years old. I suffer from PCOS and my weight is out of control I used to be thin but at 18 my mum noticed I was piling on weight and was diagnosed when I had bloods at Dr.
I went to uni at 21 and gained more weight. I now work shifts days and nights where I eat rubbish and use food as a reward if I've had a bad day.

After Christmas I am considering either a gastric band or VSG. I am.leaning more towards VSG because it requires less appointments and follow up. And I am also a nurse and I think if I knew how to fill a band there'd be nothing stopping me filling and refilling my band myself (naughty).

But I am scared, my family and friends and also boyfriend are very judgmental and weird about surgery. But I feel that if I want children and be healthy then I need to do something as my weight is out of control and I yoyo diet.

Hello and welcome!

I've had a band and now I have a sleeve. Don't base your decision on how many appointments you may or may not need. Base it on which will be the right op for you, you'll only really get an insight into this when you speak to a surgeon.

Have you made any appointments or are you just at the thinking stage? My advice would be to read up on all of your options, then speak to some surgeons. It would be good to get your family behind you too.

Good luck xx

Hi and welcome :)
@Mazza is right, read up on all your options and make the decision based on the facts, what you need from WLS and what you can commit to for the rest of your life. Making a success of the tool you're given is a life long commitment and for me, totally worth it. You don't need to tell people if you don't want too. So far only my husband, best friend and boss know and I have no intention of changing that because I didn't need my family's negativity, judgement and worst of all, jealousy.

It's also worth mentioning that you can cheat with a sleeve or a band even if you aren't able to fill and deflate at will if you're determined enough. WLS is a tool and it's up to all of us how we use it. Taking your time to get in the right head space and do you research will only increase your chances of being successful. Good luck :)

Hello and welcome. I have to agree, @Mazza is talking a lot of sense. Read all you can, and then have a good talk to any potential surgeons.

It's completely your choice if you tell anyone or not, but I do think having someone close who knows can be a good help. I've never kept it secret what I had done, but it helped my sister also had a bypass last year, so I knew my family and friends would be supportive.

Good luck with your decision.

I'm leaning towards going to Belgium of Czech Republic due to costs and quality of care over in Europe. As I couldn't afford 10k for sleeve here in uk and also be able to purchase home and other things aside from wls. Leaning towards sleeve because currently live in Northern Ireland there's very few band clinics over here.

Good luck with your research. We have a number of members who either have had or are considering surgery abroad for the same reason as yourself. Such a big difference in price!

Back