• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Mourning food?

nakipa

Hi
I am going to have my Sleeve in mid January (I hope) and have researched until my eyes boggled.

This morning I have been sitting here reading through all your posts and taking inspiration and courage to go through with it when a thought struck me.

I am really scared of not being able to pig out! I love food, I love eating it cooking it, serving it to others, watching cooking programs, tasting, looking and so on and on.

Why do I have this real feeling of sadness that I wont be able to eat a plateful of fish and chips or a curry and rice with naans and bombay potatoes.

Obviously the reason I am in this position is my gluttony and I dont want to be like this any more. My weight stops me doing so many things so why am I feeling this sense of loss for something so negative?

I gave up smoking 10 years ago. I smoked 60 a day and stopped dead with the help of a hynotist. I have had the odd craving but never wanted to smoke again. I hated the way it made me smell and my house smell and my clothes smell, I hated the cough it gave me and how poor it kept me. I dont think I felt a sense of loss with the fags.

Has anyone else felt like this and if you did was it resolved after your op? There is no going back after this op. It's not like you can say actually I want to eat that plateful of food so undo the op. I know someone who has a band and for her holidays and Christmas she has some of the fill taken out so she can eat more and then has it put back in when she comes home/in the new year!

Help, I am wobbling in more ways than one!!!:wave_cry:
Thanks xx

Yes I felt the same way before my bypass and I did go through a tough time at the very beginning. I missed food and craved tasty stodge which I couldnt have. I think I even cried about it in those early weeks.

I shouldnt have worried though as I can now eat pretty much anything in moderation so treats are not out of the question, they are just that now, treats! I am in control for the first time ever and food doesnt rule my life... I can have what I want when I want but still try and keep to a healthy diet so the treats are even more scrummy. I am now 6 stone down since my surgery in July and feel fantastic so all the bumps along the way have been worth it.

Everything you are feelling is perfectly normal. Good luck with your sleeve and a very happy new year!!

I agree with Mandym1 - the beginning is the hard bit, but give it time and once everything is healed you will hopefully be able to eat pretty much anything, just in small doses, but small doses is all you will fancy anyway, so you WILL be pigging out, just on your new terms!! :D

It's really hard to describe how you feel after surgery, but if you are like me you still get that feeling of being happily stuffed full and satisfied (you just get it much much quicker!), so it doesn't feel as if you are short-changing yourself at all!!!

So please don't panic about food becoming a no-go area after surgery - you will probably find that you can eat a more varied diet than you think! Good luck!

im glad ive read your post i think everyone feels like that at some stage.... im on pureed food at the moment but looking forward to the time when i can try new foods and get to eating normally ( well normally for a bypassed lady lol) xx

Its hard at the beginning, you have no idea if you will ever have a choc bar again or eat a chip. And for some people thats the case, but nothing tastes as good as being slim/slimmer feels :)

Dont worry too much xx

Gosh your replies have me sat here in floods of tears.....

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou for your honesty xx

WLS is a designed to give us a new life not be a life sentence. Once you've lost your excess weight and are maintaining you can have the foods you love now. Just in smaller portions and not as often. I ate chilli and curry from a few months out I just didn't have the gutbusting extravaganzas that I used to have pre op.

In the early days you should make the best healthy choices, and stay away from those trigger foods that were a problem to you previously, but if you can employ moderation then the time will come when you can have your faves again.

The saddest thing is that our tastes change quite a bit and the foods we once loved like dear friends just don't always cut it post op.

Hehe :). Its all true though. Im really chuffed i dont seem to suffer from dumping, so i think im able to eat anything i wanted, in moderation of course. But honestly, i thought my life was over as soon as i woke up from surgery. i think my first words were "omg what have i done to myself" second words were "did i get the bypass" (i.e was my liver small enough! Need to get my moneys worth haha).

But that does pass, even though i didnt think it would.

On thursday i had a dinner party. Heres what i ate and cooked (so you can see it might not be as bad as you think)

Calamari fried in extra virgin olive oil
With iceberg lettuce
Sweet chilli dip
Mayo with lemon and garlic

Cheese stuffed chicken wrapped in parma ham, with sweet red cabbage, parsnips and duphoinore (no idea how to spell) potatoes.

Choc cake and meranges with double cream and berries.

Mulled wine and rose

Not bad for 3 montha post op? Before anyone yells it was a small portion and well chewed haha

Just go for it hun x short term (month 1) its hellish, onwards and upwards after that.

Im 3 months and have lost 5 stone 7 lbs.

Oh and for the first 2 weeka post surgery i watched man vs food. Not a good choice considering thats all eating challenges haha

Xx

I've got to admit, i keep feeling a sense of loss, because im a real foodie, i dont smoke or drink heavily so food is my vice really :sigh:
But i know in the long term - ill be able to have stuff I love again, just not in the gut busting portion sizes im used to consuming :D
On the plus side i am looking forward to be able to go to "normal" shops for clothes, and not worry if they have a fat lass section, ive only ever at one point in my life been slim and im looking forward to getting back to that :D

Its hard at the beginning, you have no idea if you will ever have a choc bar again or eat a chip. And for some people thats the case, but nothing tastes as good as being slim/slimmer feels :)

Dont worry too much xx
Miss diet, you look amazing!

Yvessa said:
Miss diet, you look amazing!

Aww thank you. Think you just made my day!! X

There is me reading this post eating salted peanuts, before would be the bag but now couple of peanuts and am done, you can it most things hun just tiny amounts, you ask anyone i was the same as you thought omg thats it my life of food is over and craved food every min, now food does not bother me, I used to wake up thinking what can i eat today but now have to remind myself to eat. You will be fine xxx

And yes Miss Diet - great new pic and you do look fab xxx

All i can say is that you will find solace in quality not quantity.

Once you see the effects of the weight coming off quantity will never bee an issue but as long as what goes in is of nutritional value and tastes good you wont miss anything!!

I felt exactly the same, and panicked so much when I thought I wouldn't be able to eat properly after my band.

I'm 3 months out now, though, and I feel wonderful! I've realised that I didn't really enjoy food, I was just addicted to it. The high I got from eating was literally consuming me, and after every high was a low (of self-hate and depression) which I'd cure by eating and the cycle went on.

Now I can't binge eat, or have certain foods, it's like a chain has been lifted from around my neck. I'm so much happier and actually enjoy food. I still cook wonderful meals, and have friends over for dinner, and I go out for meals as well. But food has lost it's hold over me and I feel like a recovering addict (which I've had experience of as well). I track everything I eat and drink, and all my exercise, and I finally - for the first time in my life - feel in control of my life. And it's a wonderful feeling :-D

I know this is an old thread but exactly how I'm feeling and some of replies so true to me.

I knew and had no doubts about my surgery now 5 days post op I feel like I'm grieving but my eating habits were unhealthy and would have eventually killed me so why am I feeling this way? I haven't even had any feelings of hunger since had surgery!

It will get better, I promise. Some of it may be post surgery blues too - very common after an operation.

As time goes by you will find new things that will give you much more pleasure than eating ever did. Eating pre op is usually followed by guilt too xx

Let's face it... For most of us overweight people, food is like a friend. We use it to comfort ourselves, reward ourselves, get rid of stress... Yes it's only temporary, but we still use food for many reasons. But actually it is very good to learn to eat to live and not to live to eat. It's actually very freeing when food stops ruling your life. But I know what you mean, there is a sense of loss. But it will get better. Also, you will get used to healthy food and you will feel better which will motivate you to keep going.

Back