• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

mp604's gastric band journey

mp604

Hello all. Here is the start of my journey and diary.

So i'm sat in my travelodge hotel room too excited and nervous about having my gastric band fitted tomorrow to fall asleep! 6am wake up call to check in at the BMI Alexandra hospital down the road.

It all feels very surreal, especially as i haven't told my family so they think i'm on a night out with friends, don't like the lying and keeping secrets but i know they wouldn't understand and support my choice to have surgery.
My 2 best friends know but are at the other end of the country. It feels lonely. But i know that this is a necessary step for me, i need to change my body and my life.

Hopefully I won't feel so alone post op when my aftercare team get i touch. I went with the WLS Group as they had longer aftercare than most and seem more personal and reachable, caring.

I saw my surgeon Mr Akhtar yesterday and had my blood tests and ECG. Came out after seeing him for 5minutes wondering 'is that it?', not sure what i expected but felt disappointed. No matter though, it's tomorrow that counts. I'm just dreading waking up from the GA to be told my liver had not shrunk so the band wasn't fitted, hopfully that shouldn't happen but the pesssimist in me is winning at the moment :S

No - i've managed the preop diet well, lost 2kg, this is going to work. I'm taking control. Must think positive. Wish i'd made the time to come on here more to chat to others who know what this is like but will do so more now.

Ok time to have my last sips of water before nil by mouth and get to sleep! xx

Good luck and a speedy recovery x

Wow i thought i'd be waiting all day but apparently i am 'priority admission' - already in my room in my gown and sexy disposable underwear waiting for the doctors. Eeek! I'm soooo thirsty, eyeing the empty glass on my bedside longingly hehe :)

Good luck you'll be fine see u on the other side.

Well ive only just read your post so by now you will over and done and on the losers bench. Hope all went well. xx

Thanks everyone! Thought i'd write a quck update before i fall aslep again, so sleepy from the GA and oramorph lol. Came to in recovery at 10:30 and just kept drifting in and out of sleep. Surprisingly no pain but a very very dry throat. Nurses have all been lovely and set me up back in my room. Tried to watch some tv or read my book but i literally cannot stay awake lol
i've taken pain relief as soon as i felt twinges moving around so that i keep on top of the pain and have been up to the bathroom twice no bother. No wind pain as of yet touch wood! I feel so relieved now that the op is over and went fine, i'm a tired but happy bunny-my new life begins!! :)

Good luck mp. Your user details say you re a sleever, but if you have a band like you said in your intro message to us, I am sure you will be pleased with what you can achieve. Rest up, relax, and look forward to reaping the rewards of working towards your goals :)

Good morning all!

Wow still can't quite believe im a bander now! The ache in my abdomen reminds me though lol. I had some mild pain overnight but the nurses were great at keeping my pain relief topped up. Quite tired because i kept waking up every half an hour but having a shower and putting some makeup on feels good. The nurse changed my wound dressings, look much better than i expected! Now having my first cup of consomme soup and waiting to see the consultant, get my meds and be discharged home. Think i'll have a lil nap whilst i wait :)

mp604 said:
Good morning all!

Wow still can't quite believe im a bander now! The ache in my abdomen reminds me though lol. I had some mild pain overnight but the nurses were great at keeping my pain relief topped up. Quite tired because i kept waking up every half an hour but having a shower and putting some makeup on feels good. The nurse changed my wound dressings, look much better than i expected! Now having my first cup of consomme soup and waiting to see the consultant, get my meds and be discharged home. Think i'll have a lil nap whilst i wait :)

Congratulations beautiful x

Hi!! I'm so glad your feeling ok. It's so scary telling your family isn't it!! I thought my dad would go ape when I told them but he couldn't have been more enthusiastic. Even offered to come to Prague with me and pay!!!! I hope you can tell them when you get home as you will no doubt need support. My op is 3 months away. I'm so excited for you!! Keep updating and well done!!!! Julia x

Thanks guys, i need that perk me up. I didn't end up getting discharged till an hour ago and now got myself worried as the nurses said i shouldn't be lifting my bag to change trains, shouldn't drive for 2wks and a few wks off work! I'm meant to be driving back south a wk tomorrow and back to work the day after and its a physically tiring job, scared and worried now, cant afford to have more sick leave from work :S i dont know what to do :( has anyone reading this had the band and been driving and working a week later?

I took one train and ended up ringing my dad asking him to come pick me up as its impossible to avoid picking luggage up. I'm sat in a cafe looking at food longingly and tummy is rumbling! Now wondering if i should tell my dad in the car rather than keep up charade and lies...the op is done now so no one can try to push me out of it. Dad probably won't be happy about it and give me a telling off but then at least he'll know why i'm being the way i am the rest of the week and support me...hmmm guess i'll know what to do when i see him

julesburns said:
Hi!! I'm so glad your feeling ok. It's so scary telling your family isn't it!! I thought my dad would go ape when I told them but he couldn't have been more enthusiastic. Even offered to come to Prague with me and pay!!!! I hope you can tell them when you get home as you will no doubt need support. My op is 3 months away. I'm so excited for you!! Keep updating and well done!!!! Julia x

thanks julia! So what op are you having in prague? Xxx

I told my dad in the car and he held my hand and told me im silly for not getting him to pick me up from the hospital and i told my little sister when i got home and her instant reaction what 'how much did that cost?!?' and 'i want one!'. Big relief to have them know :) , now curled up on the sofa with my paracetamol and peppermint tea x

I hope he understands and gives you the support you need xx

mp604 said:
I told my dad in the car and he held my hand and told me im silly for not getting him to pick me up from the hospital and i told my little sister when i got home and her instant reaction what 'how much did that cost?!?' and 'i want one!'. Big relief to have them know :) , now curled up on the sofa with my paracetamol and peppermint tea x

Oh bless him xxx - I still haven't told anyone other than my husband - I told my sister I had a hernia operation which wasn't a lie as they did repair it at the same time.
I just know she wouldn't agree and probably tell me my mother wouldn't have approved - ( she passed away 2 years ago next week) - I think I've decided not to tell her - she already knows I'm always on some sort of diet - so shouldnt be suspicious when I start losing the weight c

Hi. Tell your dad hun. It's over with now and it will mean they can support you. I'm having either the band or the wrap. I can decide on the day after my consultation. I'm allowed to fly 4 days after op so perhaps they are just being extra cautious. Xx

Ah so glad you told your dad!! Families always surprise you!! Mine are so happy I'm getting it done. They worried secretly about my weight for years and now it's out in the open and I'm doing something about it they are very pleased. Glad your family are being so great with you!! They can help you with your pain, diet, support. :) xx

Back