• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My 3 biggest fears.

Danielle1979

Hi all.
i hope you don't mind me sharing my 3 biggest fears about having my byass (which is coming up in september) cause i'm guessing most of you will know exactly where i'm coming from.

1.Not waking up from op.
2.Not EVER being able to eat absoloutly anything.
3.That i'm going to fail and screw everything up after the op.

Also the 3 things i'm focusing on more and looking forward to.

1.Not hanging my head when i walk past people or using my son in his buggy as my sheild hoping they'll notice him and not me.
2.Being the one in the photo's and not the one always taking them. (Barely have any of me and my son or family ones)
3.Being a fitter, slimmer and more active mum!

xxx

They are my fears too.
Your comment about photographs also rings true. Been on many holidays and it looks like my husband has been away on his own as like you I am the self appointed photographer. When my sons used to come with us I used to stand in the middle of them so you could just about see me.

Good luck with your journey x

Hi all.
i hope you don't mind me sharing my 3 biggest fears about having my byass (which is coming up in september) cause i'm guessing most of you will know exactly where i'm coming from.

1.Not waking up from op.

Let me help you out with your fears.

1. If you dont wake up, you won't know anything about it to worry about, but although this is a serious operation, the surgeons do this operation every week, so they are highly skilled and experienced.

2. To start with, you may well struggle with food, I do sometimes (8 weeks post op), but I am told with time this will fade away and be able to eat normally.

3. You will have come so far on your journey, why would you want to go back to your old ways?

Hope this helps a little.

Gary.

Hi I've got no fears got more fears never happening I've had two operation in last 25 years both on my knee due motor bike accident you'll be ok I'm sure of it

It's normal to be scared. But unless you do this what are you alternatives? Just imagine all the good bits that will far outweigh all the bad bits. x Good luck x

Danielle1979 said:
Hi all.

1.Not waking up from op.

1.Not hanging my head when i walk past people or using my son in his buggy as my sheild hoping they'll notice him and not me.
2.Being the one in the photo's and not the one always taking them. (Barely have any of me and my son or family ones)

xxx

My views on these (and I shared these fears pre op!)

1.Not waking up from op.
This is surgery. So there are considerable risks. Do your research on your surgeon and anaesthetist. In most of the hospitals we get referred to they do hundreds of these surgeries a year and the staff are very very experienced.

I am 8 months out and I can eat ANYTHING I like. Just smaller portions. Granted you won't know until after what you'll be able to tolerate.

This wasn't so much of a big concern fir me. The surgery is the opportunity of a lifetime. You'd be silly to mess it up. Just stick to the rules and follow your providers guidelines and you'll be absolutely fine.

xx

All your wishes will come true!The chances of dying under the knife are very slim,make sure you are as healthy as poss preop.Stop smoking,lose weight,walk for your lungs etc.You will eat the same things but smaller portions although stuff you really love now you might dislike later,I loved bread and hardly ever eat it now.Chocolate tastes like wax,eggs make me wretch,salad has no attraction and I loved it preop,thank god I still love cheese!You will find it hard to fail with this surgery but why would you after all you have gone through?Once you feel slim and healthy you wont want to fail!

I know where you're coming from. I keep having massive panic moments thinkin "Oh god, what am I doing???"
For me, my biggest fear is the anesthetic (big needle phobia) and being in pain (such a wuss *lol*) I think it's only natural to be worried though, and I think it's healthy in a waqy because it means you're taking it seriously.

and I'm really looking forward to going on a bit of a spending spree - have a savings account that I'm putting money into to buy new clothes with XD

I have thought about the fact of not waking up from the GA, but like has been said, you will not know about it.

I was injured whilst in the Army and since 1988 have had 13 general anesthetics without any complications over the past 23 years.

im having a band in sept n the only fear's i have is waking up with the tube down my throat :cry:

and it not working n i fail :mad:

i not worried bout it hurting im worried bout gagging lol, id rather they didnt use it at all lol x

your fears are very real, and very valid! they are the same fears i had, so much so, that i wrote a letter to my family just in case i didnt wake up.... my fear alone wasnt just not waking up from the surgery..it was me leaving behind my family that love me so much..... but that was me worrying from the heart, my head was telling me a different story... i researched my surgeon and like others have said these types of surgery have risks but the surgeons are very skilled and highly experience, same with the anesthatist...in face i remember the last thing i said to the aneasthatist was "please look after me", when i woke up the anesthatist was next to me and he said "i did as you asked, i looked after you" ...i am sure all will be ok, just follow what you have allready been told...ie, no smoking, deep breathing, exercise, try and lose abit of weight to reduce the risks..and what not......... as for not succeeding, well that is up to you, if you are scared of not succeeding then prove yourself wrong, challenge yourself..thats all you can do....and as for the eating the foods you like bit, well that is exactly what i thought, until the dietician came and seen me the day after my surgery, she said that i will most likely be able to eat almost anything i like, just smaller portions...bare in mind the high sugary and high fat things are probably a no no, but then again...i dont even fancy those things anyway..i am worth more than that, and so are you ....i know i am only 3 weeks post op and this might change, i just wanted to let you know how i feel at the minute ..take care xxxxx

From what I remember as soon as they see you open your eyes the tube is removed, I do not remember gagging at all.

Hi all.

1.Not waking up from op.

xxx

We all have some fear of not waking up from the op! I for one figured why worry? If your not waking up then you won't know will you? Seriously the anaesthetist knows what they are doing. It's up to you to do your part and follow the pre op and try and exercise to build up your stamina before hand.

Food? Still love it and it loves me. Just not in such volume...

Failure? 5 months out i stopped losing, but that was my fault and not my bypass.

Chill you will be fine xx

your fears are very real, and very valid! they are the same fears i had, so much so, that i wrote a letter to my family just in case i didnt wake up.... my fear alone wasnt just not waking up from the surgery..it was me leaving behind my family that love me so much.....

Thats exactly what i meant,if it was just me on my own the worry may not be there because as some people point out to me, i wouldn't know if i never woke up from anesthetic, but my family would and that scares the absolute hell out of me.
But i have researched my surgeon and the op and i have told my self that failure after the opwill not be an option as i am well aware that this is the first time in my life somebody has given me the chance to be healthy and normal.

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom and reassurance xxx

I was in floods of tears the night before my surgery, wondering if I was doing the right thing.
Trust me, it's the best thing I've ever done!
I used to love my wine....haven't drunk now for 3 months. I can eat pretty much anything now, just tiny portions.
Would I go back to the old me and my old life...not a chance! :)

We all have some fear of not waking up from the op! I for one figured why worry? If your not waking up then you won't know will you? Seriously the anaesthetist knows what they are doing. It's up to you to do your part and follow the pre op and try and exercise to build up your stamina before hand.

Food? Still love it and it loves me. Just not in such volume...

Failure? 5 months out i stopped losing, but that was my fault and not my bypass.

Chill you will be fine xx
julie i have followed your comments with interest and may i ask how you stopped lossing at 5 months as you said it was your fault and not the bypass xxxxxxxxxx

We all have these fears we wouldnt be human if we didnt i was sobbing on the way to theatre but just kept thinking of the new me at the end of it all. Yes im over the moon with the results & you will be to xx

Back