• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Band just isnt working..

TMD68

Six Month Post Op
Am 8 months post op and am .1kg less than I was at the assessment.

Maybe I just dont know how it works? I just assumed it would stop me feeling as hungry or hungry at all, and if I did eat it would restrict the amount of food I could eat? Am I trying TOO hard?! Can you over try with the band for goodness sakes?!

I have tolerance of ALL foods.
Nothing 'sticks' or gets stuck.
Nothing is hard to digest.
I can eat all the stuff which is supposed to be problematic to others, chicken, breads, crackers, meats blah blah blah.

Been told to have all the above DRY, no sauces, gravy or anything to help ease it through the band.

Am eating out of a baby sized bowl - how much smaller do I need to go?!

I dont get indigestion (good) I dont get sick (good)

If I was sat eating all the wrong foods then i'd have no-one to blame and have the bloody decency to look ashamed. But I dont.

I am not a saint by any means and if I want a cream egg - I will have one. But its ONE, on ONE day. Not several a day x-amount of days a week.

Its has been one (and usually around THAT time of the month) - and talking of which, my band never feels different - ever. Never feels tight at that time? Should it?

I have had 2 x-rays so its in, its not upside down working in reverse (joke!) and its allowing stuff to pass through as it should.

This is such a devastating blow. I have a bloody wonderful family and children whom are my life and yet am having such dark thoughts and its all down to being a bloody fat cow!

Am walking 20 strenuous mins a day.

Its not right though is it..

Assessment Clinic

Surgery

Fill 1 (3ml)
119.4 (8.5kg LOSS. Liquid and sloppies)

Fill 2 (3.5)
118.8 (0.6kg LOSS)

Fill 3 (4.4)
120.25 (GAIN)

Fill 4 (5.5)
124.0 (GAIN)

Fill 5 (6.5)
124.2 (GAIN)

Fill 6 (6.3 taken out - 6.8ml in)
127.8 GAIN and .1kg less than ASSESSMENT CLINIC

just been a steady gain...

The dietician has requested I go back on the pre-op diet for 2 weeks, then do a 2 week food diary. This will then be given to the surgeons and consultant and will go before a review board to see what they can come up with.

However on reflection I felt it better to do a month food diary so they can see the whole picture as opposed to a 2 week one. The dietician was ok with this.

Also having thyroid tests.

My last fill not even a week ago is making me feel hungry. Have eaten MORE with it than normal?! Seems the more they put it the more I can eat

Whoever thinks weightloss through a band is guaranteed to loose weight... for me its no.

If you got this far thank you. No need to leave comment just needed top get it out somewhere and somehow. Am totally and utterly distraught.

phatmomma

I'm not a bander so can't offer advice, but can offer my deepest sympathy to you and hope they sort you out soon.

Out of curiosity how many mls does your band hold? x

cazbandy

Bring on the Trumpets!
Hi there, sorry to hear of your struggles.

Can you list a typical days intake and then one where you may have had treats?

I can give you an example of what I can eat on 5.75mls in a 9ml band which two weeks after a fill is:-

Breakfast
1 melba Toast with Flora light and reduced sugar apricot jam
1 cup of tea

Lunch
3/4 tin of Baxters Spicy parsnip soup with grated cheese (no bread)

Dinner
1/3 Linda McCartney Pie (Quorn)
2 tablespoons mash with lowfat philly cheese
vegetables (about a tablespoon)

I drink on average 4-6 cups of tea a day
1 pint water
A low sugar squash

If I ever snack, its a melba toast with cottage cheese or laughing cow light.

I might treat myself to a hobnob now and then.

On a naughty day...like today I have had

Some brandy and herb liver pate
A small bar of nougat
Some samples of cheese
Some samples of ham
A scone with jam and clotted cream
4 hob nobs

Now I know some of you will gasp in horror but have also done at least 2 hours walking and that is all I have had as i decided to have a day where I did not worry and this only happens once a month.

Sambucca

Hi TMD, so sorry to hear your band hasnt worked as expected.

As a bypasser I cant offer advice, but you will get all the support you need.

Caz who has posted above is one of our more experienced and successful banders. We also have 2bandsliz and mazza amongst others who will no doubt be able to offer advice to you x

chocchucky

Hi TMD im not a bander either but didnt want to read and run. Im so sorry your band has not worked for you and hope they come up with a solution that suits all parties:)
Sends you big hugs hun, hoping for a quick decision for you:)

Sharon xx

bexmoss86

Hi there,

Im so sorry you are having trouble with your band. It sounds like you are doing the right thing by taking this up with your surgeon.

I dont really know what to suggest, as im only 7 months post-op myself.

Dont be too downhearted (difficult I know) as im sure that your clinical team will come up with something to help you on your way.

Please let us know how you get on with the tests and everything else. xx

Mynewlife

Hiya
I am really sorry to hear about your situation, and can somewhat sympathise with you as I am going through a very hard patch at the moment....however it is nothing compared to you.
I had my band partially deflated three weeks ago, due to the NHS radiologist overtightening it and causing me some issues.
Since I had it deflated, I have gained almost a stone back of the 5 stone I had lost prior to this "setback". The only thing that is keeping me going at the moment is that I have a private appointment booked on February 22nd, to get the band re-adjusted and tightened a little (not as much as last time hopefully:cry:). At least I have the knowledge that prior to the setback I was on track and doing well.
I am a pretty weak person, and there is no way that I could have coped as well as you have so far. You have to give yourself some credit for coping so well so far. Are you NHS or private? Surely they should be doing some type of dye trace to make sure that nothing is leaking? I realise that you have had xray fills before, but maybe they werent looking for leaks, they were just looking to see how stuff goes from above the stoma, to below the stoma? Maybe there is a slow leak somewhere? I would be on the phone to them everyday, I dont know how you have had the patience to wait this long, there is something wrong here and you have waited long enough to get it straightened out.
I also have a 10 mil band, and if it is at the right restriction, there is no way that you can eat some of the things that get through yours.
I really hope that you get this sorted out, and sooner rather than later. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
MNL:wave_cry:

Last edited:

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
Am 8 months post op and am .1kg less than I was at the assessment.

hi TMD, im so sorry to hear of your difficulties and there has ti be a reason why this is happening.

Maybe I just dont know how it works? I just assumed it would stop me feeling as hungry or hungry at all,

just because there is a band physically placed inside us it does not stop a bander having the hunger feelings that stays with banders always.
and if I did eat it would restrict the amount of food I could eat? Am I trying TOO hard?! Can you over try with the band for goodness sakes?!

it takes a while for a bander to feel proper restriction but some should be felt after the fill process begins.

I have tolerance of ALL foods.
Nothing 'sticks' or gets stuck.
Nothing is hard to digest.
I can eat all the stuff which is supposed to be problematic to others, chicken, breads, crackers, meats blah blah blah.

Been told to have all the above DRY, no sauces, gravy or anything to help ease it through the band.

Am eating out of a baby sized bowl - how much smaller do I need to go?!

I dont get indigestion (good) I dont get sick (good)

If I was sat eating all the wrong foods then i'd have no-one to blame and have the bloody decency to look ashamed. But I dont.

if your eating the correct foods there has to be a reason why your not losing i was going to suggest portion control and eating too much but if your eating from a baby bowl then that cant be the answer.

I am not a saint by any means and if I want a cream egg - I will have one. But its ONE, on ONE day. Not several a day x-amount of days a week.

Its has been one (and usually around THAT time of the month) - and talking of which, my band never feels different - ever. Never feels tight at that time? Should it?

I have had 2 x-rays so its in, its not upside down working in reverse (joke!) and its allowing stuff to pass through as it should.

it sounds to me that the fill isnt correct you need more in all banders are different and some need more fills than others the bigger the band the longer it takes to get a decent restriction level.

This is such a devastating blow. I have a bloody wonderful family and children whom are my life and yet am having such dark thoughts and its all down to being a bloody fat cow!

Am walking 20 strenuous mins a day.

Its not right though is it..

Assessment Clinic

Surgery

Fill 1 (3ml)
119.4 (8.5kg LOSS. Liquid and sloppies)

Fill 2 (3.5)
118.8 (0.6kg LOSS)

Fill 3 (4.4)
120.25 (GAIN)

Fill 4 (5.5)
124.0 (GAIN)

Fill 5 (6.5)
124.2 (GAIN)

Fill 6 (6.3 taken out - 6.8ml in)
127.8 GAIN and .1kg less than ASSESSMENT CLINIC

just been a steady gain...

The dietician has requested I go back on the pre-op diet for 2 weeks, then do a 2 week food diary. This will then be given to the surgeons and consultant and will go before a review board to see what they can come up with.

this is a good idea as they may be able to see any problems or where u may be going wrong if at all.

However on reflection I felt it better to do a month food diary so they can see the whole picture as opposed to a 2 week one. The dietician was ok with this.

Also having thyroid tests.

My last fill not even a week ago is making me feel hungry. Have eaten MORE with it than normal?! Seems the more they put it the more I can eat

fills do not make people more hungry this sounds more like head hunger try to drink more as hunger can often be mistaken for thirst.

Whoever thinks weightloss through a band is guaranteed to loose weight... for me its no.

weight loss is definatley not guaranteed with banding its really hard work and im still battling with my band nearly 5 years on, its a life long commitment.

If you got this far thank you. No need to leave comment just needed top get it out somewhere and somehow. Am totally and utterly distraught.

ask them to test for leaks as the fil tube may of been punctured by the needle and this could be a possible reason of having no restriction, i wish you luck but personally i think your band is a band thats going to need to be pretty full for it to work properly. good luck and i hope things improve soon.

Liz x

TMD68

Six Month Post Op
Thank you to those who have commented - really is appreciated.

If there was a leak - surely they wouldnt be taking out the amount - more or less, they put in in the first place?

Fill before last they put 6.5 in and 6.3 came out - hardly seems detrimental?

I dont drink a lot - never have. My hunger is a belly growling one (not the band noises I also get) and the hunger os always of one to eat and not because 'I fancy something' and eating not out of hunger.

I will post my food diary started from last week.

I have restricted my portion sizes. I sometimes 'bolt' my food if I am over hungry and try not top let it get to that stage.

But answer me this...

I dont eat as much as I did pre-band.
I eat better now than I did pre-band
So given the food is healthier and the portion sizes smaller and the exercise is up - it just doesnt add up?

Caz - what you eat is miniscule. Is that beacuse you physically CANT eat any more or are you restricting to that?

Just from (a very poor) memory

Breakfast has been eiother porridge or an oat cereal with yogurt
Banana if I feel hungry at about 10am
Salad with egg and matchbox sized cheese grated (small bowl) brown wholewheat roll - no spread
Dinner chicken wrap with 8 homemade wedges, another night had pilchards on toast (2 slices) another night a chicken breast and some veg..

encore

It sounds like you need a fill. It's not as if your band is full to capacity. I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Demand an appointment. I was fobbed off and blamed and my band was badly placed.

Neen

WLS Moderator
I doubt my contribution will count as it took me a year to get correct restriction, mine is almost to max. Some days I can eat more than others. At the moment I am doing an hour vigourous exercise a day (all at once) and keeping my calories within a good limit. I personally use cal counting because it has helped me control my compulsive eating a bit. I allow one day to eat what I fancy but never miss exercise. I'm losing steadily but it's only been since last summer when I started the current plan of action. You just have to work so hard. Some people get away with less in their bands but I am not so fortunate. I asked for more to basically fill to max last time but was not advised to have it as I could risk band erosion if it's too full.
As soon as I accepted I would have to do things outside my comfort zone, I started losing again.
I wish you luck and don't give up, go speak to the provider and see if that smidge more in the band will do it. It's suprising what an extra mil or two might achieve for you.

Last edited:

cazbandy

Bring on the Trumpets!
I have to say right now it's because I physically cannot overeat due to rather tight restriction but it also takes severe will power not to eat slider foods and easy foods.

I guess on a "normal" day I consume now about 1000-1200 calories.

I also exercise 45-60 mins a day every other day.

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
Hi
This is how I feel and i am only 5 weeks post op
this has been me today

cup of tea

salmon penne pasta for lunch (bela Italia) ate just less than half
glass of nas

cup of coffee

tea
Pork chop (ate 1/4) mash, brocolli, cauli, carrrots and cabbage.

glass of nas

This just seems far too much to eat

cazbandy

Bring on the Trumpets!
You really need to have breakfast, it's so important and gets the metabolism going, even if its only something like a Mullerlite yoghurt or a single melba toast with low fat spread and reduced sugar jam.

The rest sounds fine but maybe lose the pasta...its empty nutrition and is not best choice for us banders.

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
Thanks I wouldnt eat pasta normally but went to cinema with kids and some friends and they decided aftrewards we would go to bella italia with our tesco vouchers and they dont know i have had an OP so I had no choice I did eat really slow and chewed but didnt enjoy it one bit, I thought that they woudl just go for a macdonalds or something then I could have got saway with just a coffee.
Thanks again x

going to plan some meals for the rest of the week.

Helen

cindy1

Hi, I am so so sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your band. I cant offer advice or support at this stage as I am waiting to go in for my fitting on 16th March, but thankyou for highlighting your struggles as it gives us who are waiting, things to think about and to realize that there is alot of hard work to come.

Anita75

I'm so sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time with the band... and hope you find a happy resolution soon. a few other fills might help you along the way?

You mention that you are able to 'tolerate' any food and i remember mentioning this to my bariatric team as something i was worried about (as I'm too able to tolerate anything and everthing) and they said that's exacly what should be happening - that you should be able to tolerate anything. I know that some banders will totally disagree with this (you just have to look at comments from people all over this site to see that a lot believe you shouldn't be able to tolerate bread, rice, meat, etc), but i was told it is not healthy to get to that stage... also, that psychologically, it is unwise to 'demonise' a certain group of food (and most people tend to do it with carbs - but would have no problem 'treating' themselves to empty calories such as chocolate, cakes or sweets, for example).

it always surprises me how sometimes there is a perceived idea that the other 'side' (i.e. banders or bypassers) somehow have it easier... but you just have to read the personal stories from people on this site, on both sides, to see that 'both' can encounter major success, but some encounter major problems and issues in their chosen operations...