• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Bypass

slimmerkay

Hi folks. I'm back home and back on my laptop - which is much better than using the i phone all the time.

So I went in on Saturday morning after much turmoil about whether the funding would come through in time. It did - at the eleventh hour!

I got to The Spire at 6.45am and was in my room for 7.20am. It was then a quick sucession of being weighed, unpacking my bag, speaking to the anaethetist and Mr Ammori and getting tagged up and gowned up and then the nurse was there at 8.15am to say "OK you're going down now" :eek: So quick!

I wasn't nervous at all (although hubby certainly was) until I got to the pre-op room. You walk down to it. I got on the bed and the nerves hit. I started crying :eek: Anyway, had the pre-op that makes you drunk feeling and then he said "I'm going to put you to sleep now Karen" and then I was waking up in recovery.

I remember all of recovery, despite being told I probably wouldn't. My nose itched a little with the morphine. And I kept sleeping but waking myself up either snoring or going "Uuurrrggghhhh" - really quite funny.

I was back in the room for 10.30am and I was attached to the padded shin things that tighten on your legs intermittently to prevent clots. And a drip was put up for pain killer and fluids. I slept most of the day.

The pain from the wind was awful. I was crying with it at one point. But hardly any pain from the surgery. Just a pulling sensation when I moved and feeling a little tender.

I had water only all day Saturday. Then a muller light 50/50 with milk for breakfast Sunday with a cup of tea. A little chicken consume soup with same muller light drink thing for lunch. Same consume soup and sugar free jelly for dinner. But I had to ask for another cup of tea in the afternoon.

I have to say Mr Ammori is amazing, the staff at The Spire are wonderful but I am not impressed with The Spire itself. I was left alone all day long apart from BP and temp checks twice a day and unless I buzzed for help. And I think to feed a bypass patient at only 8.30, 1pm and 5.30pm with no offer of beverages in between or anything else is a bit much. I know Ditzeeblonde was offered fluid food every few hours.

Anyway, that's my story. I was glad to get home this lunchtime - oh and that's another thing. I left the hospital at 1.10pm and they knew I had an hours journey at least to home and they did not offer me lunch before leaving!

well done
well at least your back home now
get plenty of rest

I am shocked to hear that you had food, so early out, but glad you are home and doing ok, it goes to show the difference between health care providers, but keep up the good work sip sip sip those drinks and get yourself well.

:)That's a great account of your "weekend" Karen lol

-yes I've heard of virtually no food being offered and as much as 2 tbs of mash + gravy!

Well done Karen, glad you got it sorted in the end. Wishing you a speedy recovery to slimdom.

Big hugs. xxx

Glad you are home and rest Karen.
Apologies for so many threads for you on here... I felt like a baby was on the way on Saturday morning and you'll laugh when you see how many thread were flying around at one point, my fault... but I meant well.
Glad it's all worked out for you, you are now well on your way to a new life!!!
Love and hugs xxx

Glad it all went well and you're home safe and sound. Take it easy now and let your body heal. xxx

im quite shocked at some of your dealings there esp only being seen twice during the day!!! glad your home now sweetpea, and let the loosing begin!!! xxx

Beverlie please don't apologise hun. It's so sweat that you were so concerned.

Kelly, as hubby pointed out (he's furious with the hospital by the way), I could have collapsed with a clot on the lung and not managed to get to the buzzer and no one would have known for four hours :eek:

Someone else said the same recently, but I can't remember who it was... it's a lot of money to pay out and to feel as though you are not getting a service.... The days drag in hospital if you are alone, I'm always better in a ward.... glad nothing critical occured Karen, but it must have worried Paul xxx

Hi folks. I'm back home and back on my laptop - which is much better than using the i phone all the time.

So I went in on Saturday morning after much turmoil about whether the funding would come through in time. It did - at the eleventh hour!

I got to The Spire at 6.45am and was in my room for 7.20am. It was then a quick sucession of being weighed, unpacking my bag, speaking to the anaethetist and Mr Ammori and getting tagged up and gowned up and then the nurse was there at 8.15am to say "OK you're going down now" :eek: So quick!

I wasn't nervous at all (although hubby certainly was) until I got to the pre-op room. You walk down to it. I got on the bed and the nerves hit. I started crying :eek: Anyway, had the pre-op that makes you drunk feeling and then he said "I'm going to put you to sleep now Karen" and then I was waking up in recovery.

I remember all of recovery, despite being told I probably wouldn't. My nose itched a little with the morphine. And I kept sleeping but waking myself up either snoring or going "Uuurrrggghhhh" - really quite funny.

I was back in the room for 10.30am and I was attached to the padded shin things that tighten on your legs intermittently to prevent clots. And a drip was put up for pain killer and fluids. I slept most of the day.

The pain from the wind was awful. I was crying with it at one point. But hardly any pain from the surgery. Just a pulling sensation when I moved and feeling a little tender.

I had water only all day Saturday. Then a muller light 50/50 with milk for breakfast Sunday with a cup of tea. A little chicken consume soup with same muller light drink thing for lunch. Same consume soup and sugar free jelly for dinner. But I had to ask for another cup of tea in the afternoon.

I have to say Mr Ammori is amazing, the staff at The Spire are wonderful but I am not impressed with The Spire itself. I was left alone all day long apart from BP and temp checks twice a day and unless I buzzed for help. And I think to feed a bypass patient at only 8.30, 1pm and 5.30pm with no offer of beverages in between or anything else is a bit much. I know Ditzeeblonde was offered fluid food every few hours.

Anyway, that's my story. I was glad to get home this lunchtime - oh and that's another thing. I left the hospital at 1.10pm and they knew I had an hours journey at least to home and they did not offer me lunch before leaving!
So glad to here your home and i do agree with you on the Spire, twice they forgot to give me my fast tab so had to ask for it. Dont go mad as you will tire very quickly xxx:):):):):)

Someone else said the same recently, but I can't remember who it was... it's a lot of money to pay out and to feel as though you are not getting a service.... The days drag in hospital if you are alone, I'm always better in a ward.... glad nothing critical occured Karen, but it must have worried Paul xxx

I was surprised to be admitted to the private wing when I had my op but was transferred to a ward after surgery. Although the private room was very nice and had en-suite facilities, I was happier to be on a ward with the company of other people.

welcome home hun and im glad everything went well for you.... maybe write a letter of complaint they might give you some money back, you never know! be worth it like people say so they can better there services for other patients! happy healing luv and keep farting hehe x

Welcome home hun glad you had a positive surgery experience Mr A indeed is lovely. I too had mine at the Spire and i mentioned the food situation to Kath( bariatric nurse)as evry soup i had was so salty i couldn't eat it. She said they were working on getting improvements made so its a shame as they obviously haven't done that. You make sure you take it easy Karen. Big hugs xx

Hi Karen. It's lovely to have you home safe and sound. The Spire doesn't sound too great, especially since you were a private patient.

SRH was the same food-wise though: food at normal mealtimes, drinks served with food (when we shouldn't be drinking and eating at the same time)...and I'm sure you know the rest of my story.

You're right though, in a private hospital when the nurse/patient ration is much higher, someone should've been in and out at least every 1/2 hour then hour immediately post-op.

I know it's upsetting, but for now, rest, focus on recovery. In a few weeks you can think about a letter of complaint, when you're stronger.

Sending love and hugs and prayers for quick healing. xxxxx

Welcome home Karen, Im so happy for you that you are finally done and at home after all the stress last week about the money !!! Doesnt sound like the treatment at the Spire was that clever! Its coming to something when you have to beg a cup of tea when you paid the money you did! Happy healing, and dont overdo things :D x

That is one thing that has hubby riled - the money paid to the hospital. The invoice was in two parts, with the hospital fee being £4,850.

Considering they kept trying to throw me out after one night (because you normally only stay one night) hubby thinks £4,850 is atrociously over-priced. I have to agree.

I would have gladly given Mr Ammori the whole amount for what he did but don't feel the hospital fully warranted their share.

I totally agree Karen, from the sound of it they dont even deserve half what they were paid......tight beggars didnt even give you a brew when you wanted one......grrrr Id be well angry! x

What an excellent account of your day! I am appalled you were left alone so much, but also a little jealous as they disturbed me every time i dozed off... different provider though.....

I think you should make comment of all you said. Can you imagine if it was someone who had been daft enough not to do the research? They'd have been up some brown/smelly river without a paddle.....

Welcome to loserville x

Back