• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

my diet is really different?

salak

Seems like most diets given to lap band patients are something like using a cup for measurement for the amount of food to eat and exercise.

My diet is completely different and not sure if that's a good thing or should I even be following it.

He (doctor) says all I should be eating for the most part is animal protein and a bit of salad. Plate should be 60% meat and rest vegetables. Snacks he says same thing, snack on fish or some shaved turkey. According to him animal protein will not make me put on weight and I should be minimised on carb intake which means little amount of veggies and not even eating fruit.

I mean I don't want know if it's all true. However he says that all his patients have success with this method.

So yeah...

I don't wish to go against your Doc's advice, but I will let you know what the Dietician who I see as part of my package has advised me since my bypass surgery.

It is true that Proteins should make up a good proportion of your meals, foods high in protein also include some legumes and nuts, not just animal protein. I normally make my plate up of 50% protein, 25% carb light veg/salad and 25% low GI carbs like brown rice. I will then eat the protein and veg first and carb if I can still manage it.
I was advised not to cut anything out, there is fibre and vitamins in fruit, but also sugar so the key is to be mindful of what you are eating on a day to day basis and trying to get the balance right.

I eat fats - good ones though like olives and avocado, again I am mindful about just how much. I eat veg, some cereals and salads for the nutrients and fibre but I make sure I get about 70g of protein in a day in various forms.

I can tolerate milk really well and 500ml of milk helps with fluid intake and gives about 17g of protein. Protein powders are also great for getting your protein in too.

I am from the school of thought that eating a protein heavy diet will indeed help you lose weight (think Dukan or Atkins diets) but I personally feel your body is losing out on some of the benefits of a balanced diet and your taste buds are probably losing out too!

That's also another weird thing, everyone has things their band can and can't tolerate but I can eat and drink just about anything without problems. Makes me question if the lapband is actually in me lol.

Back