• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Slow weight loss

paulineiw

Six Month Post Op
I am really getting frustrated! I have only lost a stone since Christmas, losing less than a pound a week.
I reckon I eat around 1000 calories a day, I find it very hard to eat meat, bread, pasta, rice, potato etc and eat mostly salad, vegetables, rice cakes or crispbreads, cheese or peanut butter, not a great diet but I cannot digest other foods, anything with sugar gives me dumping syndrome so the only sweet thing I have except fruit is muller yogurt.
I have lost 6 stone since June which seems so much less than most of you who use the site, I cannot exercise much as I have rheumatoid arthritis but I am as active as I possible can be.
The doctor says I am doing ok but I feel like I am doing something wrong... any suggestions?
I have also been told I am iron and vitamin B12 deficient despite taking supplements, is that normal for bypass patients?

On a positive side , if you told me this time last year that I would be around 14 stone not over 20 I would have laughed at you!!!
It is also good to be able to look in a mirror without crying!!!

You'll think Im daft, but it looks to me that you need to eat more Pauline. I know you say you are having 1000 cals, but are you really getting 1000 from the small list of foods you are managing.

I take it you are veggy as you havent listed any meats, but your diet seems lacking in protein as well - could you add pulses, nuts, eggs etc to try and boost this?

Also are you drinking enough?

Keep going Pauline. I know 1lb a week seems slow after the initial rapid weight loss, but if you continue at that rate you will be about another 3 stone down by xmas.

Are you drinking enough?

I would be delighted with a pound a week so please don't let it get you down xx

I am a slow loser in comparison to many but I dont mind because off is off, as long as the weight is going down and not up I am more than happy. If you had told me on the day of surgery (29th October 2009) that I would be wearing size 16's by April then I would have laughed in your face and called you crazy, but I am.
Slow and steady is fine too and we need to settle our minds with that, its all going in the right direction.
It is so easy to compare to others but everyone is different and just because someone else is romping along it doesnt mean that they are doing better than us slower losers, as I said, weight loss is better than weight gain, so its all good.
Take care xx
Steph xx

P.S I dont think that I am eating/drinking enough so that might not help.
Here is a hint for you, drink a plain Actimel every day, in weeks when I have one daily I lose more weight, weeks when I dont I lose a lot less, so there is a hint for you to try to boost yourself.

Please don't compare yourself to anyone else. Everyone is different and loosing 6 stone is a major achievement so well done you should be proud of yourself. I can't offer any advice really on eating as I am pre-op but good luck with the rest of your journey.

Thank you all for your advice.
The foods I listed are those that I can digest, I have just tried to eat a little casseroled meat and I am in AGONY with stomach pains and have been really sick, wondered if I had a blockage but I managed a rice cake earlier so guess it can't be that, the only thing that I have eaten without pain today are ricecakes, cheese and salad, anything else doubles me up in pain.
I can sometimes eat beans and nuts and pulses but only on rare ocassions...not much fun at the moment, hope it is a temporary blip!!

Back