• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My fluid struggle has bitten me on the ass!!

laurajlucy

I am 6 days into the soft food stage and although I do not seem to struggle eating, I never get enough fluids and today it seems to have bitten me on the ass, literally!! Don't read any futher if you don't do poo!

I have gotten used to the change in my bowel habits, as in only going once maybe twice a week, oppose to 2/3 times daily pre-op, BUT right now Iam in agony! Attempted 3 times thus far today to poo, but it has got stuck!! I couldn't leave and wait till it was ready and I found it a real struggle to persevere! Felt like I was in labour all over again but with no bundle of joy to hug at the end. I think I finally managed to shift the bulk of it but now my tummy and backside are killing! Iam fearful that I may have caused some stress on my internal wounds due to pushing??
What I really nedd though, is to prevent this from happening again. ANY suggestions on getting fluid in are to be gratefully received.
So far I manage a cup of tea or 3 in the morning, and then maybe a few sips of water, if I remember thoughout the day, and I always have 300mls of nas crusha milk or banana milk before bed. Obvs not enough but the only time I actually feel thirsty is when eating! Wait the 30 mins and it's no longer on my mind. HELP! xx:cry::cry:

Hi sounds like constipation just go to your doctors and ask for medication to prevent and help this. I have had this this week couldn't go for 3 days felt awful I just dint even try to go as it's more painful to strain for ages (so hard not to though). I think it's due to not eating enough for me. Try to have some warm water as well. Hope you get better soon x

If you can, set a watch to chime on the hour, or a 30-60 minute countdown timer on your phone (with repeat, but turned off at night), will keep reminding you during the day. It's so easy to forget to drink but regular reminders help...

Once you have the correct habbits, you can turn it of.

If you feel like you need to 'go', but have an idea it may be hard work, get prepared.
Make sure no else will need the loo for a while, because you don't to rush things.
Take something to rest your feet on so that your knees are higher than your hips - telephone directories are good.
Take something to do - a puzzle, a magazine, a good book, your phone to play the games - whatever will take your mind off what comes naturally.
Lean forward over your knees and try and get comfy / relax.
If nothing is forthcoming, try some tentative 'pushes', and at the same time, slowly raise your upper body to sitting up.
If nothing has happened in 15 minutes, give up for a bit, have a walk around, and try again in half an hour or so.

Meanwhile keeping sipping those fluids.
I hope this helps.

In addition to the above, glycerol suppositories are fine for post op for when you're impacted (which is what you described). You can buy them over the counter, and they're only cheap. A tip a previous member gave me was to use a wad of toilet paper and apply pressure to your perineum while pushing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Back