• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Journey to surgery feels real now

Hi everyone,

I have been on this journey for what seems ages but it has only just started to feel real today.
Had my MDT appointments yesterday. I have been told to do the milk diet for two weeks to make sure I can cope with just fluids.
I haven't felt hungry, but really miss chewing the food. I have found it hard especially when visiting family and having to sit at the table while others are eating their tea.
I expect this gets easier.

I have been told to have:
4 pints semi-skimmed milk
1 vitamin tablet
2 pints of of fluid at least
1-2 pints of bovril

The diet sheet said 1-2 Bovril drinks and then the dieticians wrote pints by it!!!
How much Bovril drink do others have to drink?

The milk and fluid is OK but 1-2 Pints of Bovril is hard.:sigh:

Is this your pre-op diet to shrink your liver? I never had to drink Bovril! I'm a vegetarian so wouldn't have it anyway! My pre-op diet was 3 pints of milk & 2 diet yoghurts + sugar free drinks. Glad it's beginning to feel real for you! It gets exciting when that happens! x

Is this your pre-op diet to shrink your liver? I never had to drink Bovril! I'm a vegetarian so wouldn't have it anyway! My pre-op diet was 3 pints of milk & 2 diet yoghurts + sugar free drinks. Glad it's beginning to feel real for you! It gets exciting when that happens! x

Hi Sheffieldamanda
No I am not at that stage yet. :(
I lost 15% of my weight during Tier 3, so they want me to do the milk diet to make sure I can.
Wish yoghurts were on my diet.

Yes I'd rather have yoghurts than 2 pints of Bovril, lol. That seems like a weird test for you to go through ' to see if you can manage just fluids'? Why wouldnt you be able to? It sounds like they are just testing your discipline at this stage to see that you are committed. I found the milk diet wasn't as bad as I thought it would be....it made me realise how tied my whole day was around food & it was the biggest part of my life (sad I know). But it was fantastic for helping me to break those old patterns & addictions so when it came to my op I had already (somewhat) lost that emotional dependence on food. It's important to keep a positive attitude throughout :)

Mine said one or two small cups of Bovril a day... didn't have either as cannot stand the salty taste.

Yes I'd rather have yoghurts than 2 pints of Bovril, lol. That seems like a weird test for you to go through ' to see if you can manage just fluids'? Why wouldnt you be able to? It sounds like they are just testing your discipline at this stage to see that you are committed. I found the milk diet wasn't as bad as I thought it would be....it made me realise how tied my whole day was around food & it was the biggest part of my life (sad I know). But it was fantastic for helping me to break those old patterns & addictions so when it came to my op I had already (somewhat) lost that emotional dependence on food. It's important to keep a positive attitude throughout :)

Hi Sheffieldamanda,

I was told usually the ask patients to do the "milk diet" for four weeks, but because I have lost a lot of weight already they were not going to set me a weight loss goal. They just wanted to check I could stick to a liquid only diet.

I was under Treliske in Cornwall. Did the yoghurt diet for mine back in November, had surgery December 3rd 2014. Now down 9stone. :) Just over 8stone left to go to get to healthy bmi. :)

Hi Bella's Mum, I know how it feels wanting to chew some food, I'm trudging through the lipotrim diet to shrink my liver. I use a technique my phycologist (for depression) thought me where you acknowledge the discomfort/ anxiety / stress (and lets face it, not eating is going to cause those feelings) and check how it's manifesting itself in your body and try and "surf" through the feeling , I hope that makes some sense. Then I come on here and look up some amazing success stories , like dream a little dream for me, hope it's getting better for you now

Ive been told that after my second tier three appointment I have to do milk purée then small foods to test my commitment help change my habits with foods retrain the brain lol, not sure I'm looking forward to it and I'm worried I fly the day after appointment would they mind if I skipped a week??? I'm committed but I don't want to sit on the beach on my suprise holiday 1st in 14 years drinking milk ?

Ive been told that after my second tier three appointment I have to do milk purée then small foods to test my commitment help change my habits with foods retrain the brain lol, not sure I'm looking forward to it and I'm worried I fly the day after appointment would they mind if I skipped a week??? I'm committed but I don't want to sit on the beach on my suprise holiday 1st in 14 years drinking milk ?

I would think they should be fine about you postponing it for a week. That would be a bit mean to make you do it whilst on holiday, especially as it's just a practice run!

I would think they should be fine about you postponing it for a week. That would be a bit mean to make you do it whilst on holiday, especially as it's just a practice run!
Awww thank you I was well worried, so much has happened in the last two years adding to me being in pain and putting on so much weight this is a complete holiday from my life lol ?

From what I've read you're all doing fantastically! I must admit I'm kind of looking forward in a weird way to the LSD. Whether I still like milk at the end of it will be another thing I expect :) Not sure about 2 pints of bovril though......

Back