• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My 'Not a Diary Account of Experience'

TwinkleTwinkle

A Very Happy Bunny
Don't want to do a diary telling everyone each time I do a poo, but for the sake of pre op'ers I will tell you of my experience. No nodding off :)

Milk & yoghurt diet ... only 6 days as I had a cancellation op date. I stop ped my insulin the first day & have not had any since. Still took the Piaglitazone throughout the milk diet though. I had a bit of constipation day 2 & a low grade headache but all in all very uneventful week. Never want to eat yogurt again. blurgh. :(

I had to go to hospital on Sunday teatime as this is standard in my area for diabetics. I had been very lucky & not only got a cancellation but also in a very exclusive private hospital so by Sunday evening I was ensconced in a lovely plush private room having been admitted & all my obs etc taken. Nice evening spent chilling with my hubby .. no nerves evident yet :):)

Monday I heard I was going to theatre at 9.30am so did all the usual, shower obs again & sat waiting to be collected. Surgeon & anaesthetist came to talk to me, but nothing was said that hadn't already been discussed. Still no nerves ... :confused:
Knock on door & nurse says 'Are you ready, dear' & suddenly my legs have forgotten how to walk & my bum seems glued to my seat. :eek: Sooo, she helps me up & we walk the 20 mtres to the lift to go down the the anaesthetic room. I got on the bed & 2 other nurses along with the lovely anaesthetist arrived. He knew I had very bad mask phobia & so he talked to me about everyday things whilst he slipped a needle in my hand & 'bang' I woke up in recovery.:confused: 'Can that be it, have they not done it, why am I awake' were all thoughts that ran through my head within nano seconds. The nurses were saying, 'Hello Denise, its all over, you are fine'. Then I realised I was in quite severe pain in my left side but my tongue seemed to belong to someone else so I couldn't say so, but it didn't matter as the nurse asked if I needed any pain relief, so I nodded & she gave me a shot of morphine which took it away. After 20mins they said I was OK to go to HDU & off I went. This was only 11am so from walking out of my room to getting to HDU was only 1 1/2 hours. Once they had settled me I slept on & off for a few hours until my husband, son & daughter arrived. :) Bit tired so they left after an hour. Uneventful night with really lovely nurse making sure I was comfortable & not in any pain. I was catheterized so did not have to get out of bed at this point which I was glad of.
Next morning, surgeon & anaesthetist came to see me again & I thanked them for my gift. They said it was very straight forward & to try to rest as much as possible. Didn't need to be told this as I was tired. After that I had a shower (bliss, & good opportunity to inspect my wounds, 6 of them) & was transferred back to my room. Very hectic few hours with visits from physio, dietician, phlebotomist & assorted nursing staff all doing their thing. Walked up & down the hallway several times & called in to see a girl called Kerry who had the same as me, but a few hours later. Hubby came with flowers but NO choccies on THIS occasion.:) I was given some lovely chicken broth & it tasted like nectar :) I expected to sleep that night but didn't. Took the time to count my blessings, plan my diet & read my book.
Wednesday morning surgeon was round at 7.30, told me I was fit to go home once the nurses had done their last dressing changes, as he was very happy with my progress & he will see me in 4 weeks. Yay ... Ate half a Weetabix for breakfast & was fuller than if I had been to eat all you can restaurant. Hubby arrives & I am home by 11am, in bed by 11.15am. I slept until 3pm & think I would have stayed longer but my daughter came. :)
I am trying my best to get everything I should into me, but it is a struggle as I am not in the least bit hungry. But it is early in the process, so I am not panicing. Still very sore, & struggle to get up out of chair, bed as it is still painful to do so but, hey, pain is there to stop us doing things that would harm us, so no gymnastics for me today. Got to admit to having more pain when I fell off the vibrator last month. Ouch ... :(
So my regime for the next few days is; Rest as much as poss without going stir crazy, 6 small meals, 250ml fluid per hour, Clexane injection each evening
& remember my vitamins. Does not sound much does it, but all post op'ers will know it is not as easy as it sounds. I would have eaten in 1 meal the amount I have consumed in the past week, but guess that is the point.
So, all in all I think I have had the better end of the spectrum of bypass experiences & am eternally grateful for this & to everyone who has made it possible for me & that includes all of you who have kept me sane (ish) these past few months & will continue to do so, I hope. Thank you for all my lovely messages & texts which cheered me up considerably xxx :):):)

thats how i want mine to be :) xxx

except i dont want your hubby and kids to visit :D

Piaglitazone

i'm suprised that your doctor still prescribes Piaglitazone as mine has taken me off them something to do with the yanks taking them off the shelves ;) i'm just on 850mg of metformin twice a day (i was on Piaglitazone too) but my sugars are still 10 and above most of the day

i'm suprised that your doctor still prescribes Piaglitazone as mine has taken me off them something to do with the yanks taking them off the shelves ;) i'm just on 850mg of metformin twice a day (i was on Piaglitazone too) but my sugars are still 10 and above most of the day

Thanks Joffy, :) I know about that as I was on Roseglitazide which was pulled for similar reasons & it is going to be changed should I still need anything for my sugar at my review next week. Hoping it won't be needed at all, fingers crossed xx :)

I enjoyed that Denise! very concise and informative. I have to fess up to getting a little emotional reading it as I was visualising it being me. not looking forward to the bit saying goodbye to hubby and daughter before op. I get myself in a state just thinking about it! :cry:

look forward to reading the next installment ;)

better than Corra!

take it easy
xxx

Thanks for that denise, are you not on liquids with having wheatabix, glad ur on mrnd xx

Thanks for that denise, are you not on liquids with having wheatabix, glad ur on mrnd xx

Hi Honey,
My diet is; day 1 liquids only
day 2 to 3 weeks, smooth/pureed which includes very runny weetabix
3 weeks onward if tolerating all foods tried on pureed diet, soft/mushy/crispy which is most things you can blitz to small pieces & chew at least 30 times.
3 months onward, Solid/textured permanent bypass diet.
I have a very detailed diet sheet which makes it very easy not to make mistakes.

xxx :)

You sound so positive with your recovery thanks for all the info x

Thanks for that , glad it all went smoothly for you x

I found that very interesting to read. I am so pleased it has all gone so smoothly for you. Like everyone else I hope for a similar experience. One thing I would like to know, trivial I know, but where you catheterised while you were having your op or once awake? I am more scared of this than the op itself sigh!! Sorry for being so daft!

I look forward to reading your updates over the next few weeks. :)

I found that very interesting to read. I am so pleased it has all gone so smoothly for you. Like everyone else I hope for a similar experience. One thing I would like to know, trivial I know, but where you catheterised while you were having your op or once awake? I am more scared of this than the op itself sigh!! Sorry for being so daft!

I look forward to reading your updates over the next few weeks. :)

Hi hon, I knew nothing about the catheter being fitted as it was done during the op & taking it out tickled ... so nothing to fear, sweetie. It really was a godsend too as they run fluid through you constantly to ward off dehydration so getting in & out of bed 10 times in the few hours post op is not to be relished. xxx :)

Back