• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My referral has gone through and appointment booked!!!!

8 months isn't too bad. It would land smack bang in the middle of two weddings I have. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes!!

hey, im new to this site so i say hello to everyone one. i go reffered from my GP bout 4months before hospital sent for me then it all went through really quickly got toldit would take 6months to a year before my operation i was in in 8weeks it was very scary but so glad i did it. I had a gastrict bypass October 08 i have lost 7stone to date and feel so much better my son who is 3 is loving it he has mummy who can play and run and do the things kids do. i wish u the very best of luck and just make sure u feel comfortable with what they are offering u andf make sure u ask all the quetions u have no matter how trivial u think they are. i had mine done i Sheffield and i must say while i the hospital they were amamzing and always at the end of a phone if i have any problems.

good luck

Hi Jai, which hospital was it?

Jai,
Welcome, Thank you for your help. So far the staff at the whittington have been very good, the education session was very informative it was things you def need to know.
Somehow I don't think I will get in so quick, they say its the other test that can slow a patient down like if they need to see a diatician to talk about food probs, or if you need the sleep apneoa test, or treadmill for breathing or Pyschologist if you have other probs associated to food, oh and Endiocrene of Diabetis ect, I think fingers crossed I can by pass most if not all .

No, no big problems for me so far. There is a big history of diabetes and heart problems in my family so am scared of getting all these soon! I am having back and joint issues lately and defo getting sick more often!!! Are these the kinds of things they'll take into consideration? I am so scared of saying something that will make them turn me down! My mouth goes into overdrive when I'm nervous!!!

purplefluffything,
i dont know if it is my age or what i didnt have most of those tests had 1 counciling session before but that was it i am only 25b and in pretty good health had all pre op tests and bloods.all i do know is it is best thing i ever did but scary as hell and i have a very unhealthy relationship with food which i am working on my bmi was 52.4 in october and is 36 now so i am very happy as u can imagen

Oh and does anyone know about the funding part of it? I don't have any part in the application do I??? Does the doctor apply for it before application or after the various appointments? It is Camden PCT.

Jai, The test are just for those that need it, if they find you have a problem they just give yopu test to make sure your ok for the operation like being put to sleep/
Megg, some Drs say if your bmi is not very high I think 35-40 you have to have one of the co-mobidities over 40 and I don't think its required as much. Like you I have them in the family and I am at high risk due to having a premature menapause in my 30's due to the high amount of morphine Im on, the letter I had from Mr Sufi at the whittington remarked that I may fulfil the Nice Criterea due to a spine operation I have had and also due to the Intrathecal therapy I am on.
Im just keeping everything crossed I desperatly want this surgery.

Oh and does anyone know about the funding part of it? I don't have any part in the application do I??? Does the doctor apply for it before application or after the various appointments? It is Camden PCT.

Hi Meggie

When I asked my surgeon NHS secretary she said that my GP sorts that out.

I think this is because I have been referred to another PCT other than the one I live under.

~hugs~

Last edited:
Hi Meggie

When I asked my surgeon NHS surgeon she said that my GP sorts that out.

I think this is because I have been referred to another PCT other than the one I live under.

~hugs~

Thanks! I don't want to get to the end of the process and then be told I should've applied at the start!!!

What PCT are you under?

Jai, The test are just for those that need it, if they find you have a problem they just give yopu test to make sure your ok for the operation like being put to sleep/
Megg, some Drs say if your bmi is not very high I think 35-40 you have to have one of the co-mobidities over 40 and I don't think its required as much. Like you I have them in the family and I am at high risk due to having a premature menapause in my 30's due to the high amount of morphine Im on, the letter I had from Mr Sufi at the whittington remarked that I may fulfil the Nice Criterea due to a spine operation I have had and also due to the Intrathecal therapy I am on.
Im just keeping everything crossed I desperatly want this surgery.

Well my BMI is 40.6. It's hard as I want to try and lose some weight but am scared if I lose a little it'll take me under 40 and I won't be eligible!!!!

meg, i had to go on milk and yoguart diet for 10days and lost 10lb. which took my bmi down but there were some ppl at my pre op meeting who really didnt need the op i mean they may have needed to lose 2 amybe 3 stone i find this annoying as ppl whom really need it cant because other ppl think it is the easy option

Megg, It seems some people start to apply for funding to help hurry their little questions and answer gamessurgery I was told at the hospital they apply for it for us.

Crystal, sorry hun you don'get to ask lots of question maybe a few at the end, Most of it is answered for you and you have these little questions and answer games on the films they show you.
The room is at the very far end of all the cafes, Kirsten is really nice and so is the other one con't remeber her name right now, she is more a food diatician.
Its after this sesion they will tell you you will next get the letter for consultaion, it becomes very real, I got my letter within a week of this session.
Hugs xx

Did they have it done on the NHS or private? I guess everybody is different!!!! I just want my BMI to be above 40 when I have my initial appointment so the criteria doesn't change too much!!!!!

Back