• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Mystery post op pain - help!

Porpo

Hi,

I'm 9 days post bypass and I've had a fairly easy time of it so far.

I had a bad do with hicups on Friday and Saturday but then yesterday I was stood in the kitchen and went really, really dizzy. If there hadnt have been a chair next to me I think I would of fainted, I've never felt anything like it before. We put it down to me not eating enough but after that OH moved me to the sofa and I started with a pain in my left side. It feels a bit like a stitch or something being pulled and is right in the middle of me in line with my lowest scar from the op.

Breathing and moving my arm made it hurt so I stayed still and after an hour it passed off. Then when I went to bed however I led I got the same pulling pain until eventually I got up and had to sleep upright on the sofa. Now it doesnt hurt all the time just when I'm in certain positions but I dont know whether this is something serious. My OH wants me to go to hospital but I kind of think if it was serious I would be in really constant bad pain etc.

Can anyone post op advise if this sound like something to worry about? I dont want to bother my team if its something and nothing.

Thanks,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

OO er I was gonna read and run, but I can't leave you on your own.

My advice would be to phone them and ask them if you should be worried. Let them know at least, pain is always a warning, and it might be all over now and then again it might not.

Phone them and I hope it's all better now
good luck
xxx

Hello,

I'm 6 days post op and also suffering from a particular pain. Mine is on my left side level to my appendix and I am assuming this is where they have joined the bowel loops up? It really hurts - especially when trying to get comfortable for bed.

I was also having problems with being dizzy and have had horrid trips to the loo - have looked at the liquid paracetamol that I have been given and it's 50% sugar, so I've stopped taking and things seem to be better.

Keep in touch,
Lynda

After such serious surgery my advice would be to never ignore pain, you are not going to be bothering anyone, just making sure you are safe.

It's like to be something simple but always best to get the medical once over.

I get a pain like that and its usually an indication that i'm going to need the toilet(poo) in the next day or so. I've got it at the moment and its really hurting but i've just put it down to bits of me not being properly healed yet. I've got a check up on wednesday so will ask..

I had that pain really bad initially. It was either wind or needing to poo. Either way, I would still mention it to your team. You won't be bothering them, they would rather know.

I've googled "bypass pain left side" and got loads of stuff saying that they do the most of the work through the left hand hole - the stapling etc and it seems to be quite common on other forums post bypass.

I'll email my team and see what they say but it's not got any worse and I'm eating and drinking okay so I'm not going to stress too much.

Thanks
xxxxxxxxxx

i had lots of different pains especially on the left side, could be worth getting in touch with your surgery team but im sure it will settle down.

Hi - I hope you are feeling a little better.

My first advice would be to contact your team and ask their advice.

I had a very similar pain at exactly the same stage as you (last week) - I had my bypass on the 1/10. It felt like a really bad stitch/pulling pain on the left hand side and sometimes a stabbing sensation which almost took my breath away. I rang the hospital and they checked with the consultant. Apparently this is quite a common pain at this stage and is either wind or our insides starting to repair themselves. I was told to monitor it and if the pain worsens or I get a fever, to contact them immediately. Since then, it still hurts but certainly not to the same degree as last week.

Take care

x

Hi Porpo, have you had a reply from your team yet? How is the pain today?

Rebirth

It's been not to bad today, will see how it is when I try and go to sleep, that seems to be when its worst when you lie down.

No word off my team, if its bad again tonight I'll ring them.
xxx

Back