• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nearly 3 months post op...

Jcoco

Hi,
I'm new and excited at the thought that my 20 year battle with weight might be over.
I'm from London but have been living in Qatar for 2 years and had the gastric sleeve surgery over here at a very good price. I actually went in for a procedure called gastric plication:rolleyes: then doctors asked my on the operating table if I wanted gastric sleeve instead. I had no idea what it was but asked them which would be more successful.
Ironically my best friend in London had the procedure a month later with the same experience on the op table except she was having her faulty band removed at the time.
Not having know much about the sleeve- my best friend has been a great source of info and told me about this website.
PS I was 147 kg on 25th Feb 2011 when in went in. I just weighed in an hour ago at 125kg. Still have a long way to go but happy that I finally did it :)

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
hey jcoco, welcome to the site :) im having my sleeve on 23rd May, good luck to you :) xxx

claire-anna

Hi Hun and welcome... I'm having the plication or wrap as its known on here.. I'm flying to Czech republic next Saturday.... Well done on your weight loss thats an amazing start.. Xx

Natstar

Brilliant weight loss! I'm not sure I'd have been as brave as you to switch operations at the last minute but it's just shows you made the right choice!x

Tracey37

Hello and we'll done I had my sleeve op 3 mths ago and gone from 140kg too 110kg , it a great felling keep up the good work and welcome everyone on here so nice xx

Tracey37

Caren said:
hey jcoco, welcome to the site :) im having my sleeve on 23rd May, good luck to you :) xxx

Good luck on your surgery Caren xxx

Jcoco

Brilliant weight loss! I'm not sure I'd have been as brave as you to switch operations at the last minute but it's just shows you made the right choice!x

Thanks, I just wanted to have the most successful procedure and the highest amount of weight loss. Ironically this also happened to a friend back in UK who thought all she was going in for was to have her faulty gastric band out...she also was given the choice for sleeve or bypass on operating table. lolol.

Patoda

Thanks, I am soaking up all the information. Haven't even seen a doctor yet but you are all helping me to make THE decision wheter to continue this journey I have started...

Desertbunny

Thanks, I just wanted to have the most successful procedure and the highest amount of weight loss. Ironically this also happened to a friend back in UK who thought all she was going in for was to have her faulty gastric band out...she also was given the choice for sleeve or bypass on operating table. lolol.
Hi Jcoco,

I am still finding my way around the site. I couldn't find your post. I wondered if you had replied lol - sorry. Thats a fantastic price infact thats incredible. The waiting time was long though? I want to recover at home so going not too far from London suits me. Can I ask how long you took off from work?
Congrats on your weightloss.

Jcoco

Hi Jcoco,

I am still finding my way around the site. I couldn't find your post. I wondered if you had replied lol - sorry. Thats a fantastic price infact thats incredible. The waiting time was long though? I want to recover at home so going not too far from London suits me. Can I ask how long you took off from work?
Congrats on your weightloss.

Hi I guess my wait was 10 months- I was suppose to have it in december (as they only do in the winter months cos they dont recommend recovery during the hot months- 50 degrees after the op would have been hell). However the problem is lack of Hospital beds- so in the end it was february 2012 though I started the process in april 2011. I was given 2 weeks off and I preferred here as I have a lift to get into my flat where as back in london there's a lot of stairs at my parents home- I wouldnt have managed it.
Anyway I hope this helps ;)

dohalover

Hi,
I'm new and excited at the thought that my 20 year battle with weight might be over.
I'm from London but have been living in Qatar for 2 years and had the gastric sleeve surgery over here at a very good price. I actually went in for a procedure called gastric plication:rolleyes: then doctors asked my on the operating table if I wanted gastric sleeve instead. I had no idea what it was but asked them which would be more successful.
Ironically my best friend in London had the procedure a month later with the same experience on the op table except she was having her faulty band removed at the time.
Not having know much about the sleeve- my best friend has been a great source of info and told me about this website.
PS I was 147 kg on 25th Feb 2011 when in went in. I just weighed in an hour ago at 125kg. Still have a long way to go but happy that I finally did it :)
Hello Jcoco,

Thank you so much for all the great info. I just wanted to confirm a few details with you.

#1- Was the price actually 5000 riyal? At another private hospital they quoted me 50,000 for the same surgery. I'm guessing the difference is Hamad is public but that is indeed a huge difference.

#2- Do you know if the wait time was typical? I'm living in Doha now but it there is a good chance I will be leaving in June (unless I sign an extension with my employer). I'm working here and have the standard health card and medical insurance through my employer.

#3- How long did it take you to get a consult with a doctor at Hamad? I dropped off my referral on thursday and they said they would get back to me.

Again, thank you so much

Jcoco

Hello Jcoco,

Thank you so much for all the great info. I just wanted to confirm a few details with you.

#1- Was the price actually 5000 riyal? At another private hospital they quoted me 50,000 for the same surgery. I'm guessing the difference is Hamad is public but that is indeed a huge difference.

#2- Do you know if the wait time was typical? I'm living in Doha now but it there is a good chance I will be leaving in June (unless I sign an extension with my employer). I'm working here and have the standard health card and medical insurance through my employer.

#3- How long did it take you to get a consult with a doctor at Hamad? I dropped off my referral on thursday and they said they would get back to me.

Again, thank you so much

Hi how are you? Im 11 months post op now and 95kg.
I paid 5000 riyals- but it was with the Hamad card. Because it is public service, it is heavily subsidised by the government and obesity is a big problem amongst the locals.

The wait time is typical. I was referred in february but had to sort out my Hamad card first so couldn't sign up for consultation til my holiday in April. Had my consultation in May and the Surgeon said my op would be in December. But as I said there was a shortage in beds.
One thing I will say once you have been given the go ahead for surgery pester the surgeon. I had to keep turning up at Hamad in November and December to confirm dates. I doubt you will get op before you leave in June as when I originally went in they did tell me they had a long waiting list.

Good luck.;)
Overall it was a good experience.