• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nearly 6 Months out and I can eat everything!!!

LubiLu

My name is Lucy and I had my bypass on 7th August 2012, so I'm nearly at my 6 month mark.

If I'm honest I have had a pretty easy ride of it.
Surgery went well, I had hardly any pain and I healed up in no time at all.

At my heaviest I was just under 31st, (430lbs) I lost 7st on my own and the day before my op I was 23st. Now I'm 18st 4lbs. (256lbs) I can't complain about that...

I feel so so much better than I did this time last year and I have never had so many compliments.

So here is the reason I am posting.

It started when I was able to eat 'normal' food. After the horrible mush stage-about 6 weeks.

Without thinking one night (out of habit) I had a chocolate digestive with a cup of tea. Up until that point, I had been super careful not to have any sugar at all, so I really didn't know what to do.

I thought about making myself sick, but I'm a big wuss and couldn't. So I lay on my bed and hoped It would pass quickly. I soon discovered that I was fine and apart from feeling sleepy- nothing happened.

So you can imagine, I have gradually tested thing and nothing makes me ill.

I have to be careful with carbs as they sometimes stick and makes me feel sick, but sugar and sweet things, I'm fine with.

I really hoped I would be one of the people that dumped after sweet things, as I have mouth full of sweet teeth.
I also thought that this surgery was the answer to my prayers and it would mean I wouldn't have to 'diet' for the rest of my life.

I am truly grateful that I have had the opportunity to have this op and I don't want to waste it, but I'm scared for the future. I don't want to get to a size I'm happy with and regain all the weight I've lost.

Is anyone else going through the same thing?

The thing is Lucy you have tried bit shere and there but believe me if you have just the one small thing it may be ok if you have 2 or more you will feel the dumping take effect its not very nice, sometimes its just that little bit extra thta makes all the difference, I had a small glass of pure oj one night few months back had had it loads of times n wham nbout an hour later sweating, dizzy didnt know where I was, my pj's were soaking with sweat it lasted bout half an hour, I leaked from under my boobs, groin, legs back, neck, face. It was horrendous when I get to that point I try and have a cuppa tea n slice of toast that seems to help me but its nt very nice. Obviously whatever you have eaten is low in sugar so that the hgh sugar food hasnt had too much impact but don't keep pushing it cos you will wish you hadnt. I f you get the tummy aches which go with it for some folks, at the same time as the other sympoms mark my words you will know about it. Moderation is the key, obviously so far so good and well done for that you are doing fabulous. If you can stay doing hwta you doin gn not dump then just keep on but don't push it honestly it is really awful, you will hate it if n when it happens and it will at somepoint, usually its something you have had before just you have a bit more than usual and the body says right not having that n away you go. Dumping. Luyckily my dumping has been the disorientation n sweats usually without the pain, but sometimes I just get the pain without the othersymptoms some poor people get both together, will leave you feeling shattered. xx Hope that has helped a bit xx

Well done you !!
What a difference already and it is these changes that you should be remembering all the time

Most important is to remember that the bypass is a TOOL to help you with the weight loss and not a magic wand. It will be up to us to control and use that tool successfully

I cannot tolerate sugar of any kind as I have a major dump lasting for about 2 hours.. Please don't wish this on yourself.. I promise it is not pleasant and happens to me often if I don't check sugar content in everything that I eat. Ie baked beans etc not just the items that week ow contains sugar

In th beginning I would really crave say a slice of something naughty and say what the hell I will cope with the dump later.. But it is just not worth it to me now, I can't stand that awful nauseous feeling I a left with afterwards

And it dies become a habit and easier just to think no no no no

Yesterday I went to telco and had time to waste so walked around every isle.. Checked out the biscuits and the sweets and the bakery and was not even tempted to buy a single thing that I should not have .. Did come out with a pair of skinny size 16 jeans though !!! A year ago I was in size 28 / 32 !!

So hang in there and try to get your mind to say I DON'T WANT IT instead of I CAN'T HAVE IT. Once your head is in the right place the rest follows. Say it often enough and it ill become a habit and a way of life

Do you still have restriction on the quantity you can eat though? My neice is 2 years post op and she can eat anything - just less of it so she doesn't worry as her weight is very stable. There is nothing she can't eat.

Congrats on your weightloss you are doing so well! I am about a month behind you. I have started dumping when I didn't at the beginning, which is odd. I had real problems eating post-op so was having a lot of crackers, rich teas etc, things that snapped easily!! No problems at all with any of those. I stopped eating them once I could eat other things, such as the occasional slice of toast for breakfast, or cornflakes. But of late I can't even eat those and if I do I have to lie down afterwards and wait for the effects to pass. And it's awful - never felt so ill in my life!! It does make shopping a lot easier as Minoots says, I don't even go down the bread/cake aisle as I know there's nothing there for me! I used to eat a lot of carbs as they calmed my anxiety, but now I have to find a healthier way to cope. Wouldn't swap back to fat me scoffing buns for anything though!!

Hi Lubilu

Well done for your weightloss so far you have done really well.

Also don't beat yourself up to much over the lack of dumping, some do and some don't.

I am lucky in that I do on sugar so it helps me stay off the stuff which as a type 2 diabetic is good.

If you don't dump you can still use use the pouch to control your appetite, its not just your sweet teeth that got you to 430lb, it was mainly your appetite and the lack of control you had over it.

You bypass will still be working at controlling that, so what if you can still eat a bit of chocolate, drink some alcohol or have a few chips, the amount consumed will be a huge amount smaller than you used to eat which can only be good.

Keep your portion size under control and everything will work out fine.

I am 11 months post op and have been at goal weight for 4 months, other than high sugar foods I can eat anything and if I do try too much my pouch still quickly reminds me its still in control.

All the best

Paul

Wow Lucy what a great loss you have acheived already as others have said dont beat yourself up about it, you can still control your portion sizes as Paul has said so you are not over eating xx

If you don't dump (not sure I do but haven't pushed it to the limit but can definitely eat more sugar/fat than others) so for me it has to be about moderation and portion control. Stick to keeping treats at a minimum and using a tea plate for meals and you should continue to do fine. Don't keep testing it either as you never know when it might happen, that's how I feel anyway because you just never know when it could happen and that keeps me on my toes :) Well down on your amazing loss x

I agree don't keep testing it not just for the dumping side but because it could bring back all your old addictions ( a bit of this and bit of that ) and then could be on a really slippery slope :(

Thank you so much everyone. All your advice has been great. I should just concentrate on the weightloss as that's why I'm here in the first place.
I haven't been looking out food to test, but with Christmas and useless 'in Laws' we have had plenty of yummy things in the house. There has been a constant tempation.

I didn't ever think that I would be one of those people to waste the surgery, but I think I just needed a kick up the bum- which you have given me. Thank you again.

It's so nice to come on here as I don't have many people in my life that would understand.

Back