• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nearly had a fight!

MrsPill

Had my first appointment with my bariatric nurse today. She was really tough! At one point I thought I was going to have a fight on my hands to get a band but as I started to get a bit argumentative she toned it down a bit and said that she has to play devils advocate to see if a person is serious or not as a band is dead easy to cheat with. So after all that I've got my surgeons appointment tomorrow night!! Whoopee! Still thinking of having done in July though...too much going on before then..(son's graduation and him leaving home :cry:)
So, all in all- a good day .

From your profile you are going private so I wouldn't have thought they would have cared as long as they had their money!!!

wow...usually private they really couldnt care less...which company was it?

Yeah, I know what you mean but actually its made me think about my commitment and her attitude made me feel like she cared. But it truly wasn't what I expected.

Spire in Edinburgh. She was really good. x

Good for you!

Personally I wouldnt of touched a provider who wasnt bothered about my choice.

Also as its their reputation on the line if you go with the wrong choice its in their best interest to make sure you are 100% sure / committed.

Good luck x

Hi
It's interesting what the nurse said about being easy to cheat - I would disagree - it might be easy to cheat physically but from what I have read on here it seems to me that it would be very difficult for a bander to cheat – what I am saying is that the dedication is such that to perform the cheat must be terribly difficult – the actual act of cheating your positive state of mind must be like pulling a trigger – hope this make sense (meant as a compliment) . . . anyway, I seem to remember something about supersize -v- superskinny doing something on banders and cheating (in the USA) in tomorrow night programme. Xx
PS I thing Spire are a little more professional than some of the others out there. x

Hi i went with Spire as well and i thought the support and advice were fab as well. Having a phone number you can call practically 24/7 is a great mind easer (if thats how you spell it lol). Hope you get your dates sorted soon and join us on the losers bench:D

i have to say i had mine done at spire and they have all been fantastic realy dedicated after care has been second to none!!

Just wanted to say had
Mine done at the spire Leeds and I couldn't have asked for
More they were amazing :)

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I liked the fact that I can phone someone 24/7. In fact, she took 3 phonecalls whilst I was in and although it seemed a little odd, it was also quite comforting too. I mean, that'll be me soon and it showed she didn't just turn them off or over to voicemail. Hope I get the same :)
Soooooooooo excited!

I was with the Spire(nhs)and the aftercare was second to none.I had one of the surgeons call me twice when I had a problem post op.

Hi
It's interesting what the nurse said about being easy to cheat - I would disagree - it might be easy to cheat physically but from what I have read on here it seems to me that it would be very difficult for a bander to cheat – what I am saying is that the dedication is such that to perform the cheat must be terribly difficult – the actual act of cheating your positive state of mind must be like pulling a trigger – hope this make sense (meant as a compliment) . . . anyway, I seem to remember something about supersize -v- superskinny doing something on banders and cheating (in the USA) in tomorrow night programme. Xx

]

As a bander i disagree with what you have said ....It is perfectly easy to cheat with a band! Whether physically or indeed emotionslly or mentally. a lot of people think the band is an answer to bad eating habits and choices - it isnt!

Having a band doesn't stop you eating, it doesnt stop you eating the wrong things, It doesnt stop you putting the food in your mouth or make you exercise and he decision to do those things or not lies wholly with the bander

It is wholly and totally possible to "cheat" and to go against the band...this is seen time and time again even on this board where people say the band isn't working when in fact it is the person with the band who isn't doing things correctly. Foods such as crisps, chocolate, cakes etc are actually slide to foods and in fact pass though the band easier than a lot of other foods and having he band doesn't immediately solve any bad eating habits.

Hi
PS I thing Spire are a little more professional than some of the others out there. x

I think I know what the nurse meant that it is easy to cheat with band - the band is just a tool. If someone decided to live on high calories drinks and ice cream, the person wouldn't have any restriction from those and still would be putting on weight. We all got to this size by eating things that we probably shouldn't (or eating too much of some things). For example, my downside is sugar. Anything with sugar. The band can help us regulate the portions but if we swapped one wrong thing for another one, the band logically won't work. I can't physically eat to many cakes now, but nothing is physically stopping me to swap it for any sugary drinks, for example. The nurse just wanted the poster to realise that band is not a miracle solution. It helps as long as we are willing to work with it (in my case not to have that many cakes and therefore reduce the intake of sugar), as opposed to work around it (replace the cakes with any sweet liquid).

Back