• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New and Stressed!

chubby funster

Hi all!
I am at a relatively early stage in the WLS surgery process. I have an appointment for my pre-op assessment on 27 October, at which I have to have made a decision, band or bypass.

I am 30 years old, no other co-morbidities and basically (apart from being a chub!) am healthy. I weigh 23st 10. I do eat "healthy" well balanced meals, just way too much! I do like to snack and these will vary depending on whether I am being good or bad! I am sure most of you will know what I mean!

When I began the process it was all about the band, but my appointment with the surgeon threw this for me! Basically decision is mine, but his personal prejudice was towards the bypass as people lose more and he said as a snacker if I can't change my habit a band won't help.

My other half whilst supportive, is adament the band is best option, as its not permament etc. I on the other hand am completely confused and its consuming my life!!

I've read quite a few posts but I really would like any feedback I can get. Really sorry for the long post but I can't express quite how much my head is twirling!!

Thanks in advance for your help!

:wave_cry:

Hi & welcome

I've just had my bypass & can't rate it highly enough! I initially thought about a band but was advised to have a bypass & have not regretted it at all.

Of course the decision finally is yours but your definately in the best place to get advice.

Good luck with yr journey. xx

Hi there, I think you have arrived at the right place... since I remember feeling just like you in the beginning... so don't worry, it's normal to feel in such a confused state!

I started off by thinking the band would be best for me too... but have come to realise that I will regain the weight, so have a much better chance of keeping it off with a bypass.

There aren't many topics not covered on here... it's been a brilliant help to so many of us as we wait and wonder how and when things will work out... have a good dip in and read and don't be afraid of asking questions... there are plenty of experienced people who have done it all and wear the tee shirt to ask on here, so it's a marvellous way of learning from home!

If I can help in any way, just say, I always say the same, love and hugs on their way to you and good luck on your weightloss journey xxx

Hi, Ive just had the bypass done the band for me was never a option because i knew i would be able to cheat with it. Good Luck
Charmaine

Thanks both of you!

How did you feel after the bypass?
When could you go back to work?

So many questions?!?!?!

I had my bypass 10 days ago & can't even believe that I have had an operation, I was up & pottering around the ward the day after my op.

I don't work but have a 3 & 6 yr old to look after & I do tire easily but I think the thing is I feel great & its difficult not to do too much b'coz you feel so good but your body will let you know the next day if you've over done it.

I was advised not to drive for at least 2 weeks so that would probably have an impact on getting to work I guess. xx

:welcome::welcome:Hi and welcome
I had exactly the same quandry as you, i went to the docs wanting a band and thats what he referred me for but when i went for my first appt with the surgeon he said very bluntly that because i have a sweet tooth and can tend to pick and snack that the band wouldnt work for me and that if i had it i would be back in 3 or 4 months begging him for a bypass !!

He then told me that he doesnt rate the band much and finds that the bypass is the most effective in losing AND maintaining weightloss ( only his opinion ofcourse )

Because of this he said he would not give me a band and was only prepared to offer me a bypass or nothing :eek:..... as you can imagine i was rather shell shocked and in an absolute dilemma as i hadnt really been given an option.

I was soooo scared and didnt know what to do as ofcourse the bypass IS such a major operation and the band is reversible and a lot less intrusive.

So,.... i came home in an absolute state, got on the internet and found this wonderful site, the people on here are so supportive, informative and knowledgable that over the next few months of trawling the forum and seeing other peoples results etc i have come to know that the bypass is definately the one for me , that said there are some very successful banders on here too so its still a tough decision which ofcourse only you can make.

My advice would be to look at the posts on here, ask any questions you may have, read all the information and then you'll be making an informed choice, i suppose you have to look very deeply at your own personal eating habits and be honest with yourself in what would suit you better.

I dont envy you as i know the anguish you are in right now and i suppose in a way i was lucky as i wasnt given a choice. ( :S i think ??? lol )

I hope you get your head round it all and dont rush into a decision, i wish you the best of luck with your journey whatever you decide to do and be sure that we are all here for you and will give you the best advice we can.

XX Dawn

Mr EH strikes again ! What you've said here is almost word for word what he told me ! Mind you, I don't regret my bypass one bit and deep down I know a band wouldn't have given me the same results long term.

Youve all given me some food for thought (poor pun!!) I may actually sleep tonight and can see me spending many an hour on here!!! Thanks again for all your help! More questions will be on the way I am sure!
xx

sounds like the bypass would deffo suit you better hun as your a snacker! a band can be easily cheated and why go through the pain of an op to be able to cheat if afterwards with your old snacking ways. The decision must be yours though dont let your hubby sway your mind either do whats best for you hun x
read thru some of the stories on here... that mite help you! this site is amazing for help and advice so your deffo in the right place. Welcome to WLS by the way, post anytime about anything... they will always be someone here to answer your quieies and give you that support to keep you on track xxx

i personally was thinking to have the band to begin with too untill i read up on all the different surgery's but im a bugger for snacking too (chocolate is my weakness) lol
i havent read a story yet that states that they regret a bypass at all - even the odd person that has really suffered with a bypass still say they dont regret it, but i have seen a few people wishing they opted to the bypass to begin with!
im a similar weight to you too - im 23.7 after loosing 7lbs these past few weeks because i have my second apointment at derby on thursday where hopefully ill be on that waiting list and im deffo having the bypass!
hope this helps hun...... and good luck on making the best decision for you xxxx

I had my bypass 9 days ago and feel fine. I do a little bit each day and my body tells me when to stop. I dont work and my children are all grown up so its just me and my husband.I have no regrets and know i have done the right thing.
Charmaine

hi hun
the decision is urs and only u can make it, im pre op, im early stages too the band was never an option for me as iv got a lot of weight to lose and i know ppl that have had the band and iv lost more weight than them on a diet, although it does work very well for some ppl, i have obviousily put weight bk on after dieting and i know with the bypass its hard to put weight on im a great dieter i eat a very good diet most of the time but BIG portions and also snack although i buy low fat snacks i end up eating more so might as well of ate the full fat snack, iv not spoke to the surgeon yet on wat he thinks i should do but im at a similar weight to u and i think he will deffo agree that the bypass is for me, i know its a bigger op but theres so many great storys and end results than there is bad storys about the bypass, me personally i think if u only have a few stone to lose then the band will probably do u well but ive got a massive 10 stone to lose and i know if i could cheat i probably wouldnt lose the weight, im this way because i love food and im greedy i really am (being honest) i can eat great healthy meals but like i say they r big portions then ill feel hungry again and eat more i deffo think the bypass is for me, u need to do some research and think wat is best for u
good luck hun im sure u will make the right decision and will soon be on ur way to loosing weight and feeling great xxxxxxx

Back