• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New beginnings

I'd think that's a fairly common response. If you've been obese for a long time, you get into a place where you life becomes about being obese - planning what you are going to eat (or not eat), planning what you are going to wear to try and look your best and all those little thoughts that pass in the day; whether you can climb those stairs, whether you'll fit in that seat, whether that person with a disapproving look is thinking about your obesity too etc etc etc. I think that when you make that decision to do surgery, all of a sudden you are faced with the fact that a) your life has been about being fat and b) when the fat has gone, what fills the vacuum? What does life become about then? There's a very famous book that I read many years ago called Fat is a Feminist Issue (Susie Orbach) and one of the themes it explores is how fat is almost a shield against the world for a lot of women; we can hide behind it and avoid facing life full on. There's a lot to be said for that theory.

A great theory x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I think it's ideal it's been flagged to look at and plan for before surgery. The same happened to me. I used food as my antidepressant - even though the impact of food was negative. So if I had a bad day I would 'compensate' myself with a take away, if I had a good day we'd go out for dinner to celebrate. We'd have nice snacks at the weekend as we 'deserved' a treat - I am sure you get the picture! It's hard post op when your drug of choice is no longer able to be used. I am pleased I spent a couple of weeks working through this pre op as when others are still in the pattern - but in control as opposed to out of control - it's hard and you can get a little down. Knowing it's a possibility helped me cope so much better. I am 6 weeks post my sleeve op. So far, I've not found myself getting too low by it all - it's an exciting journey! Good luck for August and I hope you achieve your goals. Best wishes x

Sundown, thanks so much for your insightful post. It really struck a chord with me. It's bloody exhausting being this overweight, I'm going on holiday soon and o can't look forward to it because of the constant worry about wether or not the seatbelt will fasten on the plane and how I'll cope in the heat, how bad I'll look in my swimsuit and countless other worries.

I had my appointment with the psychologist and I'm not sure how well it went to be honest. I'm worried she will recommend that I have a course of therapy before I have the surgery. I really wanted to have it done in August as my husband can take time off work to help me with the children. Anyway, there is nothing I can do about that I guess. Just have to try and be patient. Xx

Debs, that's very reassuring to hear. Good luck with your journey.

I have no idea how to quote people, can anyone help? Also it keeps saying that I don't have permission to look at certain sections. Is there a helpful tips place on how to use the site?
Sorry I'm being such a dummy about it!

Well I've been given the go ahead from the clinical psychologist so looks like I will be having my sleeve on August 21st!! Wow, can't believe it's happening.
I go on holiday today then when I get back will be starting on the LSD. This is going to be the last holiday where I'm scared the seatbelt won't fasten, where my legs swell, where u can't go for a walk because I'm too exhausted.
Bring it on!

Well I've been given the go ahead from the clinical psychologist so looks like I will be having my sleeve on August 21st!! Wow, can't believe it's happening. I go on holiday today then when I get back will be starting on the LSD. This is going to be the last holiday where I'm scared the seatbelt won't fasten, where my legs swell, where u can't go for a walk because I'm too exhausted. Bring it on!

Well done Fluffy! That's a fab result and it will be lovely to have a relaxing holiday, come back and do the LRD and be all set then for a slimmer Christmas!

Have a great holiday.

You mention how to do quotes. If you are accessing via the phone app. If you read messages in the list and hit the new message arrow top right you add to the thread itself. It you click of the actual message and then hit the top right reply arrow it replies directly to that message in a quote format as I have done with this. If this makes no sense I will try and explain again!

Best wishes for 21st ?

Well I've been given the go ahead from the clinical psychologist so looks like I will be having my sleeve on August 21st!! Wow, can't believe it's happening.
I go on holiday today then when I get back will be starting on the LSD. This is going to be the last holiday where I'm scared the seatbelt won't fasten, where my legs swell, where u can't go for a walk because I'm too exhausted.
Bring it on!

Enjoy your holiday! And a passing thought on the weight loss surgery for you; when a butterfly emerges from its chrysalis it is at its most fragile, but that fragility is a vital transition from its old life, hidden away from the world, and its new life where it goes on to achieve its full beauty and potential.

So if you experience a roller coaster of emotions just try and ride them out as part of your transition :)

Back