• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Unexpected Sleeve Gastrectomy

Bally

I was supposed to have a RNY bypass but, during the op, the surgeons found a few duodenal polyps that were promptly removed. I was woken up and offered a sleeve for the next day.
So next day I went back to the theatre for a sleeve.
I'm not sure that a sleeve is the best op for me but it's the only one I could have.
I only hope I can manage it.
It's my first day home and my liquid diet only lists water, tea, herbal tea, gatorade and NAS juices. Not even broth. And I'm not sure if I'm hungry or not. I'm sipping gatorade but my head keeps asking for a meal. Is that normal? :confused:

Hi welcome to sleeve world. I'm sure you'll learn to love it! I'd be very surprised if you're actually hungry, some people mistake wind, some people get head hunger and others do have actual huger. Either way keep your liquids up and keep yourself occupied so you aren't say there thinking about food.

Awww, bit of a headspinner for you I'm sure but hopefully you'll love your sleeve as much as I do. You'll be on the puree and then onto soft foods before you know it! Hope you're immediate recovery goes well. Best of luck.

Thanks Victoria and JoJo.
I'm so scared the sleeve will not work for me!
I had chosen a bypass because I'm a grazer and I really feel I'm on a diet now. And I know I could never live being on a diet for ever.
And this liquid diet (without broth) until Tuesday makes me feel dizzy and lightheaded and scares me.

Aw Bally you have been through it hon. Hugs x Hopefully now you are well on the road to recovery and longterm healthier life.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Kat
x

The first weeks are a diet but tell yourself you have to stick to them to help avoid a leak. Bypass would have been the same. I am 9 months post op, I calorie count to keep track but I never feel I'm on a diet, if I did I know I'd fall off! I'm not a grazer but I suggest you plan for it.

You may be surprised how full you get at mealtimes and forget to graze. If not make it healthy so fruit, chopped veg, ryvita etc.

If you want this to work you can do it. Try and start with a positive mindset rather than this wont work because then you'll always use that as an excuse.

Remember we are in charge of our bodies, I find it so much easier post op to stick to good foods.

Take it one day at a time at the moment x

Thanks Victoria, you're right.
It's my mindset that's wrong.
I'm finding it very hard to manage these early days.
I've been told not to nap all day but I can hardly stand for a minute or two and then need to lie down again.
How can you calorie count and not feel on a diet?

How ridiculous of course you can nap! Ignore that Bally your body will tell you what it needs.

As for calorie counting i guess it's because i have no limit, i'm just recording what i'm eating. I aim for 1k a day but always end up around 1200 - 1300. It's not for everyone i know but you'll find your way x

I was going to have a bypass right up until a few days before my op. I then changed my mind and got the sleeve because the only difference between the two was the malabsorbtion and while you get a lifetime of vitamin deficiency you only get a couple of years of calorie malabsorbtion. It didnt seem worth it for the extra stone I might lose with the bypass.

Also, you actually now (being a sleever) of having had the majority of the hunger hormobe producing portion of you stomach removed, and this I promise you will remove a lot of the previous compulsion you had to eat. And the small size of yiyr stomach will do the rest, as even grazing you just will not be physically able to eat like you used too.

Ive taken a bit of a notion lately for eating less than ideal items .... but even then, snd on a super 'bad' day I couldn't get more than 1500 cals into me if my life depended on it. But most days I eat about 800 and still have nice treats, I just find I am now able to control myself around food when I wasn't able to before. That is where your sleeve is your best friend.

am so glad I choose the sleeve and not the bypass. I have no worries about deficiency and don't need constant monitoring in that regard, I am mostly not hungry because the hormones that make you hungry have been removed, and the weight is flying off.

am 18 weeks post op this coming Tuesday and will be only a couple if lbs shy of being 6 stone down.

You would be on a liquid diet right now no matter which op you had, but honestly I think that switch from bypass to sleeve is likely a blessing. Its not true that sleeve patients lose less, so many people on this board are proof of that.

Keep your chin up, and good luck with your journey!

Hi Bally I went in for a bypass on Tues and came out with a sleeve as I had an abnormal bowel anatomy and lots of adhesions. I am pleased though and actually think it is a better op for me. Hope you go on ok x:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Thanks ladies.
I believe it's only that I'm in an awful mood. I live by myself and probably this isn't helping.
I was feeling really very dizzy so I rang my surgeon who apologized (lol) for having forgotten to put chicken, veal or vegetable broth on the list of the things I can drink.
Now, with a cup of veal broth to sip, I feel better indeed.

Glad you feel better Bally, take care xx

Back