• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New here hello all here's my story :)

lisa35

Hi all my story is probably a little different to most, ivr always struggled with my weight 24 and half stone my heaviest I've tried weight watchers, Atkins slimfast sliming world but nothing seems to stick I lose a bit of weight then put it back on.
I have been asthmatic since birth and my weight isn't helping. I've been experiencing abdominal pain for a long time but always too scared to go to drs/hospital because of my weight. This all changed a few months ago when it was that bad I ended up in hospital and discovered I had a inflammed hardened gall bladder with gall stones 6 weeks later and 2 more attacks down the road I go see the surgeon. He says he won't operate because I'm too fat my bmi is 57 he starts saying about a surgeon who does bariatric surgery and would be able to work on someone my size but the hospital is 15 miles away would I be interested in seeing if he'd remove my gall bladder I was in agony and although in tears after being told I'm too fat to operate on I say yes.
A few weeks later I go see my gp who after reading my hospital letter says have you ever thought about having a gastric band fitted I have often thought about it but it's never been mentioned before. She says she would refer me to dr labib who after research is the man who says if you can have it or not and puts it to the funding board. My gp has asked him if I can have it done at the same time as my gall bladder removal by mr khan at manor hospital walsall. Within a week I had an appointment to see dr labib for the 20th January. Yesterday I had a letter from manor hospital with my appointment to see me khan for the 9th December today another letter has come saying my appointment with dr labib has been brought forward to the 3rd December. I asked the gp about if I'd have to wait for the gall bladder if I was having the band fitted but she thinks I'll bypass any waiting times as it's being done together.
Has anyone had a band fitted at the same time as gall bladde removal

Hello Lisa, and welcome!
I was banded earlier this year but I've never had gallstone issues. Good luck to you with the appointment:)

hi lisa i have a friend who bypassed abd had gall bladder removed at same time they said although a little extra recovery time other than that was all fine

Not experienced any of what you mentioned but wanted to say hi and welcome :)

Hi Lisa. I know it can be done all at once during the op, they also do fix hiatus hernia when doing bariatric surgery as well. It is not unusual and as mentioned above, the only difference is slightly longer recovery. Good luck and keep us updated. :)

I all so have an infected gall bladder and was told from the start that they would remove it the same time as doing my wls. But when I saw my surgeon he told me other docs ect like to pass gall bladder removal along to the wl surgeon as patients r heigh risk but he said a lot of the time he can't do the removal the same time as wls op as the holes he needs to make for removing the gall bladder r In a completely different place to the ones he makes for the wls. He said if I can reach it whilst doing the wls he will remove if not he will have me back 6weeks after to take it out. X

Well had first appointment with the weight management team dr labib was lovely as was the dr I saw first neither made me feel bad for being obese, my bmi when refered was 59 it's now 52 so they said I have proven I can lose weight on my own, they're going to try and rush everything through so I've got ECG blood test sleep apnoea test heart scan due to not being able to get a bp reading at clinic all within the next 3 weeks as he wants to put me forward for funding by the 15th January to get me for surgery mid to late February because of my gall bladder pain. Can't believe it I'm actually on the road now :)

thats great news it will soon fly by good luck with it all

hiya i was banded in october but havnt had any gall bladder issues, sounds like everything is going well for you though ad that everything will be sorted within a couple of months well done! x xx

Back