• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New Here Today 8th Nov 2011

HappyJill

Hi Everybody! :)

I am new to this forum, but not new to weight control issues!

I have been losing weight and regaining it (plus a bit more) for nearly 37 YEARS! I am guessing this is longer than many of you have been alive? :sigh:

I became ill after the birth of my only child just before I was 40 in 1999. She is a joy and blessing, but in exchange for getting her, I gave up being slender, having no diabetes, no high blood pressure and no thryoid problems, lol. :rolleyes:

As my health deteriorated my life became more demanding and stressed than ever due to redundancy, failed business venture, deaths of both parents and a cat...and so on. I grew steadily too tired and put weight on. I developed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. When finally referred to an expert, I was diagnosed disabled with CFS/ME and Fibromyalgia in June 2008. :cry:

Weight continued to pile on. I had been on a diet throughout my teens, right through to my 50's!

In August 2010 I asked my GP to refer me for bariatric surgery. Reached my heaviest of 285lbs in January. I had a BMI of 42.7. I was assured THAT would be the BMI used to fulfil the PCT criteria.

I was put on a very calorie restricted managed dietary programme with a dietician, did everything I was asked for the next 7months, losing 38lbs! BMI had become 37, but that didn't matter as I know the NICE guidelines recommend surgery for all patients with a BMI 35+ with one or more co-morbidities. However, my PCT would not accept my initial weight and BMI of 42.7 being the point for considering acceptance. They said that at BMI 37 I am refused the surgery!!! :eek:

My doctor, dieticians and occupational therapist sent an appeal. Refused. So since July I have regained 16lbs just back to 'normal' family eating and am BMI 39.9 now! :break_diet:

I feel SO crushed, emotionally and physically like I have a tight band around my chest. :(

Have begun to compile all remaining 'evidence' that I am 'morbidly obese' again and CANNOT maintain weight loss by myself! I hope to be able to appeal to the panel by end of Nov.

I have recently been diagnosed with diabetic retinopathy. I don't want this damage to continue! I don't want to lose my sight, my feet, etc.

I want and need surgery!!! Not something I have rushed into. Been working my way toward that decision reluctantly after only 37 years of being overweight and becoming obese. I seriously cannot afford to wait much longer...

It is frightfully expensive to go private but we might be able to scrape up funds.
:help2:
Has anyone any similar experience?

How long has anyone had to wait between initially asking their GP and getting their surgery?

I do hope someone can give me their thoughts and experiences which may be valuable to me at this stage?

Please write soon? :wave_cry:

:thankyou: HappyJill :sign0144:

Back