• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New life compared to old life post bypass

mintball

OK, so here's the real questions i've been busting to ask:

After the bypass:

Can i have an alcoholic drink whilst out with friends?

Can I go out for a meal with my hubby and manage to pick something for 3 courses ( cos my hubby can't risk losing any weight, he's very slight build)

I think what i want to know is can my family's life go back to normal as they've been through every diet and whim with me and i'm praying the bypass will put an end to all that. I want to have the same food as them just small amounts and no snacking.

I've had a life of green day, red day, points, sins and a few others...its no wonder i'm fixated with food is it?!?!? lol

Am i being super naiive or is it a possibility to lead a "normal" life?

Hiya! :wavey:
I am still on the liquid stage at the moment so i am just taking it step by step, but i think you can will eventually be able to go out for a meal with your family but you will be eating a smaller amount- for example a starter as a main.
I am not sure about the alcohol though, i don't drink alcohol so i have no idea about that one!
You will be feeling full up though after a very small amount, so you won't be wanting to eat a 3 course meal, but you can still go and have a main course.
Hope this helps, i am sure someone will be along soon who knows a bit more!! :)
:party0011: Xxx Lizzie xxX :party0011:

Hi Lisa, I know I posted to you on the other thread but here goes again :8855:,

I have been known to enjoy in the odd vodka or two while out with friends :rolleyes: I can enjoy most drinks but larger and cider are a no no to me as they are too filling and fizzy. Another point is that I get tipsy very quickly but I stop like that all night and dont get raving drunk! and another thing is that the tipsy feeling can last until the following morning so no driving!
When I go out I dont bother with a starter but if I had to I would get some soup have a taste of it and just leave it, and thats a difficult thing for most people to get their head around, its the quality of food that matters not the quantity. I sometimes get a dessert but just for a taste, luckily I have children that are more than happy to have it for me lol.

Im lucky I dont dump often but I have to watch how much sugar Im consuming, I know some of us on here cant handle a lot at all as well as anything fatty. My family are eating soooooo much better since I had the op as I tend to cook everything from scratch now so I know whats in my food.

The biggest thing that has changed is that Im no longer thinking about food all the time, I get something when I feel hungry eat it till Im full and thats that. If I really want something I will have it and no longer feel guilty about it. It has totaly changed my life for the better!

i suppose on the up side, the bill will be less!!!

But thanks for that last message Caroline, it helps to put things into real life situations i think. I'm not one of those who has to eat it all even when i'm full, i'd buzz at leaving food, cos i never do normally

Lisa, I have started to ask myself the same questions as you so I will be very interested to read your replies.

I have only had a yes from GP today so still early days for me, but I think its important to weigh up all the options before making your decision. Good Luck x

OK, so here's the real questions i've been busting to ask:

After the bypass:

Can i have an alcoholic drink whilst out with friends?

Short answer is Yes, but be careful because of
1) hidden sugars, lots of calories in wine & beer and don't forget that most mixers are full of sugar or fizzy which can make you sick. Here is a link started by Liz on drinking calories:
http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/69153-spirits-how-many-calories-shot.html

2) getting quickly drunk, your system will be 'hit' faster than before so go easy

Can I go out for a meal with my hubby and manage to pick something for 3 courses ( cos my hubby can't risk losing any weight, he's very slight build)

Short answer, yes, plan carefully avoid sugar & fried anything, have a look at the menu before hand and skip dessert

I think what i want to know is can my family's life go back to normal

As long as you can reduce the sugar and fat in the meals and eat small portions, you are golden. Your whole family can benefit from reduced sugar & fat. They can always add to their portions a pat of butter or sweeten their servings if they need to do so.

Am i being super naiive or is it a possibility to lead a "normal" life?

No, you are not being silly here, you just have to cut down on some things and you will not be dieting, just eating healthy.

Hi Lisa - I'm now 4 months post op and have lost nearly 100lbs, like Caroline i can eat mostly anything and drink whatever i want, and so far i've not dumped, all this low calorie stuff is rubbish, you will be able to eat so little and your body will absorb so little the calories wont really be an impact, and if you want to go out and have a good drink up then do, lifes about living and enjoying your new shape, and the best thing is the weight will still drop of. I dont follow any sort of diet at all, though i try to eat real home cooked food rather than ready meals.

Dispite what it may seem there is life after the bypass !

Surgery shouldnt change your life completely. Just eat healthily and you can enjoy some treats like alcohol etc. After all without treats life would be dull! Take care R x

hi
i am 9 mths post op and went on my works xmas meal last night, i had 3 halfs of lager 1 baileys, 1 poppadom with chutney 2 pieces of chicken pakora chicken korma with a quarter of garlic nan, and had a wonderful night.

Hi ladies,

I had the very same questions pre op. And i'm now around 8 or 9 weeks post op, have lost nearly 4 stone, and can eat fairly normally.

I went out for lunch with some friends, and ordered a lasagne. I just ate very slowly, and didn't finish it. I also went out for dinner, and had a roast turkey and vegies, again ate slowly and didn't finish it.

The fact that i can't eat much, stops me going for restaurants etc that are on the pricey side. I also really enjoy a jacket potato when i'm out, which you can pretty much get from anywhere these days.

I've also tried some wine, it went down fine, but i've not been game enough to try more than a few sips, however, i have some wine at home and will attempt to have a glass and see how i go.

I was very sceptical that life would be back to normal, and that i would ever be able to eat normally again. But when i cook for my family, i just eat the same thing, only smaller portion and it takes me longer than it used to. When i go out, i look for things that aren't fried, or high in fat and suger, which is easy enough to find these days, but my main problem is remembering to slow down!!! Eating too fast only results in vomitting, which is a waste of money.

I have no desire to get drunk, just can't be bothered, and my temptations for naughty food are very quickly deminishing which i'm really pleased about. I enjoy salads, chicken, lasagne, potatoes, soups, weetabix, drink lots of milk, eat yoghurts and muller rice things, weight watchers ice cream which is to die for, diabetic chocolate wafer biscuits (i'm not diabetic, they're low in fat and sugar), quavers, crspbread, and even chips.

It was really hard to believe that life would go back to some sort of normality, but it is actually happening.

HTH
xx

so how long after the bypass do you have to do liquid diet for?

I never did the liquid diet, unless you call yoghurt and soup, and the ocassional low fat ice cream liquid. I actually was told to do pureed food first, then mushy, then solids. I think it depends on the surgeon.

I was told to do two weeks liquid, then 2-4 weeks puree, then 1-2 weeks soft food and then transition into solid at your own pace. I know that this is not the same thing for everyone, others progress faster thru the stages and some a bit slower. It all depends on what your surgeon recommends. I am 6 weeks out (almost 7) now and just starting to transition into solids as I did 3 weeks at puree and 1 week soft. It's a process and it seems we all have differing instructions. Check with your doc and follow his plan.

HTH;)

Hi Lisa - I'm now 4 months post op and have lost nearly 100lbs, like Caroline i can eat mostly anything and drink whatever i want, and so far i've not dumped, all this low calorie stuff is rubbish, you will be able to eat so little and your body will absorb so little the calories wont really be an impact, and if you want to go out and have a good drink up then do, lifes about living and enjoying your new shape, and the best thing is the weight will still drop of. I dont follow any sort of diet at all, though i try to eat real home cooked food rather than ready meals.

Well done on your 100lbs weight loss, Thats excellent!!

Also I am really pleased to read what you wrote above as I was starting to worry a bit as I am only 9 days post Op and cant wait to eat more normal, I don't like this liquid diet at all.

Concerning the liqued diet, I was told not to try any mushy food at all until at least four weeks after the op. My nurse said to treat my insides like a newborn babies as they were been held together by cat gut! I then had to do puree for four weeks and then go onto solids. It was hard but I have not suffered the problems that a lot of folk have done i.e dumping, vomiting etc etc. It does change from surgeon to surgeon and dont get me wrong it can be a bit difficult at time, not to do with hunger but with wanting different textures, but it was worth it!

Fatgirlslim, I know how you feel I am just over 5 weeks post op and you get such a strong desire to chew something and feel texture in your mouth and its horrid not to be able to. I am progressing well, just need to not let my head hunger take over and find this is worse when I have been to work so will now plan ahead for this. I was also glad to see richards post it makes you realise that it can just be the same as before but in less quantity...xx

Such a nice sensible post....xx

do you know, this is why i love this site and i don't even know what i'm doing!!! Instead of sitting here and thinking strange stuff to myself, i put it out there and no-one judges and what i think might be a stupid question, gets genuine sensible replies.

I'd be lost without you, this weekend is decision time for me but i'm going into it eyes wide open thanks to you guys

Many thanks x x x

Im so happy to read this reply...im so concerned that i wont be able to be a part of my family/friends social life's and be be a party pooper when it comes to having a glass of wine, or what ever tickles my fancy..it was almost puttin me off having surgery and just continuing to be the fat girl looking after everyone...i just want to learn to portion, eat health, but have a blow out now and again..it seems this is possible..thank you

Back