• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New member -need expert advice re referral letter please

carrieb

Happy Bypasser
Hi all,

So glad I've found this forum. I'm in the early stages of (hopefully!) being referred for weightloss surgery. I've seen my gp, who has now asked me to provide more info for her in terms of my weight over last couple of years. I'm trying to put in writing both practical and emotional reasons why I feel surgery is the right way for me to go but not sure how to do this? Has anybody got any advice?
By the way, my vital statistics are 5' 4", weighing approx. 18 stone, with hypertension, hiatus hernia/acid reflux
Thanks for any help - look forward to joining you all on this journey!:)

Hi Carrie, welcome to WLS, you will get tons of help, support and guidance here ... you are in the best place

I'm sure you will get loads of help and advice and all the very best to you... love and hugs xxx

Hi Carrie and welcome, look forward to following ur journey always here to help and support we all r xx

Hi Carrie and :welcome: to WLS, I wish you all the best in your journey and feel free to ask any questions you want to......There will usually be someone who can answer it :D XX

Hi Carrie - you are in the right place to ask questions on here! Someone will always be able to answer it has been a real help to me. Good luck with your weight loss journey.

Hi carrie have you got any young children? I wud just explain how ur weight effects ur daily life aswell as the physical things like sweat rashes, legs chaffing, chaffing under the breast e.c.t, Iv got 5 children under 13 so my doctor used the saying how I can't do the things with them I long 2 :( do ur research and show them u understand it's not an easy option and how much it will change ut life! Just put ur heart and sole into the letter hunni, I wish u the best of luck xxxx

Put down EVERYTHING that affects your life,from skin infections,lack of sex life,depression,social anxiety,loss of confidence,tiredness,headaches,reflux,bowel probs,period probs,breathing probs,snoring,palpataions,cant wipe your bottom,bathe.Even if its just a list it gets your point over,it doesnt have to be an essay.Best of luck.Maz x

Thanks for all the replies. I did a letter to my gp, although I held back on all the emotional stuff as I don't want them to think I'm looking at it as a solution to all my problems.

I mentioned all my medical problems etc, and gp said letter was excellent. I've signed up for something called weight loss workout run by the PCT that fund ops in my area - apparently it helps your application. Fingers crossed now, trying not to get hopes up as GP did say she's worried about refusal because of lack of funding.
I'll keep you informed

Hi and :welcome: to the forum. Best of luck with your referral and on your journey x

Hiya, good luck on your letter hope it goes down well xxxxx

Also good luck on your journey xxx

Hia Carrie and welcome to the forum. I hope you get a positive response back from your PCT.
Grace xxx

My GP called last week, there is no more funding for this year so I need to re-apply in April. I don't know if that means I've been accepted in principal or whether I could still be refused then - I've not had any appointments to to attend. I guess it's going to be a long process. Thanks for all advice - this site is great!

Sending you a huge :welcome2: Carrie, I would keep in touch with your GP since I found the GP to be the gatekeeper in the initial stages... they normally receive a confirmation from the PCT...

However, if it's a budget as far ahead as April 2011 it may be a little early, but there is no harm in keeping in contact with your GP and showing your determination and willingness to go forward for wls...

Good luck and every good wish to you on your journey.

Love and hugs xxx

Unfortunately more and more pct's are doing this. Mine has stopped all weight loss surgery till next financial year, but luckily I already have confirmation of funding so am hopeful of an op April/May time.

It sounds as though you may have to re-apply if that's what your GP said. The groundwork is all done though so it should not be so hard the next time, so hopefully you will sail through it. May be worth chatting to your gp about it again, as they are the ones that will know exactly what you will need to do come April.

Back