• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New to all this and slightly puzzled.........????!!!!!

mrsfarm2000

I have just had my first appointment with Mr Kumar at Heartlands - lovely man but very short consultation. He basically said it was my choice whether I had the band or bypass, answered a few questions and sent me away with info on both procedures. I was expecting much more. I have read on here that others have had blood tests etc at first appointment.
I have just received my appointment to see dietician in November.
Has anyone else out there been operated on by Mr Kumar? There seems to be a vast difference in procedure between Luton/Dunstable and Heartlands, which were the two I had to choose between.
I have been reading posts since joining on Monday and find all the advice/ info. very helpful. :)

Hi,:) I am in Sheffield & had my first consultant appointment (Mr Patel) last week, which although short, told me everything I needed to know. I opted for gastric bypass as I am diabetic so it is an easy choice for me really, as none of the other options help with this. I had my weight & height measured & also blood tests. Then I was sent to book my pre assessment which is 16/09. Mr Patel told me an average wait would be approx 4/6mnths from seeing him but the op needed to be done within 3 mnths of the pre assessment so I am hoping for a pre Christmas date.
All hospitals seem to work differently & I do not know anyone else personally, just what I have read on here. My initial period from seeing the doctor to getting to see the consultant was quite drawn out (10/10 to 08/11) but things are happening quite quickly now ... fingers crossed.
I am sure there will be someone else on here that can help you more if they have experience in your area but thought I would at least answer you to let you know my story. Good luck & it is all worth it in the end x

Hi, I got my funding agreed in May/June this year. Saw psychiatrist early July then surgeon the following week along with dietician and general Medical consultant. I was at the hospital for several hours with not very much waiting about. Had sleep test on 22nd July and pre op on 9th August. It's been a bit of a whirlwind really. Due to have bypass at end of October. Scared but ready to get going.

Good luck x

Hi,:) I am in Sheffield & had my first consultant appointment (Mr Patel) last week, which although short, told me everything I needed to know. I opted for gastric bypass as I am diabetic so it is an easy choice for me really, as none of the other options help with this. I had my weight & height measured & also blood tests. Then I was sent to book my pre assessment which is 16/09. Mr Patel told me an average wait would be approx 4/6mnths from seeing him but the op needed to be done within 3 mnths of the pre assessment so I am hoping for a pre Christmas date.
All hospitals seem to work differently & I do not know anyone else personally, just what I have read on here. My initial period from seeing the doctor to getting to see the consultant was quite drawn out (10/10 to 08/11) but things are happening quite quickly now ... fingers crossed.
I am sure there will be someone else on here that can help you more if they have experience in your area but thought I would at least answer you to let you know my story. Good luck & it is all worth it in the end x

i too am a diabetic and the sleeve was an option for me as the two ops work well with diabetics ;)

I was given the choice of band or bypass but the surgeon said he wud advise bypass.
I decided to go for bypass as the band would be too easy for me to cheat and I think I may have after a while.
But I had my op in feb and hav never looked back

They dont normally take bloods at the first appt, this tends to be a question and answer fact finding session.

Read the posts on here and use all the research you can to make an informed choice xx

Back