• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New to this site

Loll

:sign0144:New to this site 2nd try at posting a message didn't have much luck the first time. I have been reading the posts for a while and can't believe how supportive everyone is. Made the decision to have a gastric bypass a few months ago after a lifetime of dieting, taking off the weight and putting it back on. Taken me a while to research and have finally made an appointment to see Shaw Somers on the 5th August in London but hope to have the bypass in Chichester,down to economics. I have an unsympathetic GP who thinks i'm not big enough for a bypass on NHS but likes to blame everything that I ever have wrong with me on my weight (BMI=41).Would like op date mid September, does anyone know the waiting time from consultation to op?

Loll (Lorraine)

Hi Lorraine and welcome to minis! There is lots of support here and there will be someone along soon who can answer your question.
I had a starting BMI of around 41 and had a banding op on Monday. I went private, so can't tell you too much about the wait, but I understand it depends on your local primary care trust and they tend to vary enormously. Someone will give you a much more accurate answer soon I am sure - good luck x

when i saw Shaw he told me the waiting time on nhs was 3 to 6 months, he a great guy and puts you at ease as did the nurse i saw at chitchester. the nhs does seem to be a lottery as can gps i recently changed the gp i see in the practise i go to and the new is much better. i know its annoying when the doctor blaims every thing on your weigth and isnt sympathetic it makes you not want to bother seeing your gp . from my brief meeting with Shaw he seems to care about trying to help with weight problems. it refreshing to see a member of the medical profession that accepts weight is an issue that diet cannot always overcome. goodluck on the 5th

dave

hi, welocme to the site, you will find lots of help on here, everyone is great, as people have already said, it does depend on your local PCT.....

look forward tohearing more updates fromyou though in the future

Hi Loll

Booked in for my op on the 16th August, i'm going private so wouldn't know about NHS waiting times, like yourself my GP is a waste of space, plus once i've made my mind up about something i just wana get on with it, i could have gone for the op two weeks after the consultation, but decided i needed a few weeks to come to terms with it all, plus we had some child care issues, so i picked the date that works best for me and my family.

best wishes

Richard

Hiya Loll:) Nice to meet you ! I don't think theres any way of predicting how the NHS will process things for you...my BMI was about 62 and I had no quality of life , plus I had a breakdown and was off work for 10 months..After a lot of grovelling (at least my self esteem shrunk eh) I was eventually begrudgingly referred and asked to lose weight before I was allowed the operation on the NHS. (Sick of jumping through hoops for people when I wanted help for a change)
Due to a lot of problems with my sons (both autistic and having huge problems in school...so much so I home educated them for a year) I simply could not get to appointments anyway.. I cant drive and no one to watch the kids...the whole thing went out the window for about a year, then when our circumstances changed and we sold our house and moved to rented, we just thought "stuff it" and I took the plunge for private..was in within 3 weeks of intial appointment and now I'm 4 weeks on from the op.
I think it was just high time for me..turned 40 in may and lost my entire 30's hiding away from life. £7000 for a band and £10,000 approx for a bypass, depending on your finances and your health and how urgently you want this, although expensive, you might find going private better than practically begging the NHS to help.
Going private was a lot less soul destroying and no-one spoke to me like I was an idiot...that meant a lot.

Hi. Just wanted to add that going private was pretty quick for me as well - I had my initial consultation mid june and op 14th July - and that was delayed at my request so I could finish college first! I paid £7,500 for my band package at Spire in Norwich and could not recomend it enough - I was very lucky and received fantastic treatment from all concerned. Good luck to you xx

Hi Loll,

Welcome to Mini's! I hope you find this section of the forum as supportive as I have :)

Sorry if I missed this part, but are you having a band or a bypass? Bit groggy from my op still!

Thanks, I want to have a bypass. Did you have band or bypass?. Although i've been reading the posts for a while not up to speed on how it all works so it's a bit hit and miss. Already found the site a big help. wanted the bypass last year but friends put me off with the 'what if you die' and 'what you gonna do with all that loose skin'. Well you've got to die sometime and if I need a nip and a tuck then i will sort that out. If I had found this site last year then it would be all over by now. L

Hi Loll,

I had a bypass on Wednesday, so I'm still a bit groggy etc. I've been fighting to have the surgery for over 18months so it was a long slow process. I was unsure about band or bypass but the surgeon I had prefers the bypass and so thats what I had! I think it was the right choice for me.

Shel

Back