• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New

Miss DeeDee

Post Opper
Hi all,

I am new here and a little worried, i have my op booked for 29th nov 2011 - gastric bypass, can someone please give me a reality check on what i can expect post op?

thank you
Doughie

Hi Doughie, Welcome. Congratulations on getting your op. What exactly would you like to know about post op? Food? portions? going back to work/Gym?
Marie

doughie all will be good you will been safe hands as i was wednesday last week the hardest part if your one of the last to go for your op you hanging around all day i was so lucky i was first but beleve me its worth the waite and do you best on the pr op diet i did the milk diet and lost 2 stone 4 lbs

I am on the soup and yoghurt diet, going private as dr wont put me through for nhs - i read somewhere about loosing hair and dumping etc - can you explain what it is?

thanks all for the welcome hope i am doing the right thing a bit scared as really didnt want the full op but consultant thought it better for me - 12 stone to loose minimum

Hi Doughie & welcome :) Ask us whatever you like & we will answer you as honestly as possible, honey. Do you have specific concerns? xxx :D

Now it did - i wanted to know about the post op what happens. someone mentioned hair loss and dumping - and injections in the stomach> can you tell me what to expect? thanks

i am going private as my dr wouldnt give it to me on nhs - am on the soup and yoghurt diet -thanks for all your welcomes

Well not everyone has hair loss or dumping so that will be a case of wait & see. I personally do not dump & lots of people don't but this is what Google says about it;
Dumping syndrome, or rapid gastric emptying, is a combination of symptoms that occur when an overly large meal, or a meal high in fat or sugar is consumed by a weight loss surgery patient. The meal is "dumped" into the small intestine when the stomach empties quickly, causing feelings of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach gas, racing heart, cramps and cold sweats. (So you just avoid foods that could do this)
Hair loss varies greatly but it usually occurs from around 3 months after your op & can last for several months, a bit like when you have had a baby.
The injections are blood thinners & you will need them in your stomach usually, for around 10 days post op. They are a doddle & nothing to worry about. I guess you are feeling anxious but anything you want to ask, feel free, honey xxx :):)

after the op you will do heprin injections for 2 weeks and ant accid tabs for 28 days and a soluible pain relef loss of hair can happen but will grow 3 months in you should not go bald dumping yes if you consume to much or something too sweet you can have sweets just be carefull what you eat and dont try and over eat

Have you not done any research into this operation honey? There is specific information on the BOSPA website, Surely the surgeon went through it with you and gave you some information?
You will have to inject yourself either in your tummy or thigh every day with a blood thinning drug to help prevent clots. These are tiny needles and as long as you don't rub them after they are virtually painless.
Hairloss usually occurs if you are lacking in nutrients, it usually resolves itself after a few months if you eat properly and well. You will be tested regularly to check your levels of vitamins etc.
Approx 50% of people dump if they eat too fast, don't chew thoroughly or have foods too high in fat or sugar.
How are you feeling on your diet?

I am in london - i have researched on the web but didnt see anything about the after effects, just about the pre op stuff, the consultant didnt say anything about after the op i only started the pre op diet today - got stuff in the post about pre admission but nothing about after it - i should have asked but to be honest it was all a bit upsetting and i just wanted to get it done - does that sound daft - i wanted the sleeve but he said the by pass would be better for me

You still have time, read everything you can on line, ask your provider for more information and as you think of questions, write them down and ask on here.

Back