• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New

Thanks, been waiting 2 years so had plenty of time to look into it. Good luck.

Just realising, us NHS'ers are probably much more prepared for the op than the peeps who go private as we have loads & loads & loads, oh did I say loads of time to do our research whereas private patients are operated on very quickly. Never thought I would see a plus in the NHS waiting list, lol :):):)

The mortality rates are out of date, all the advice now is that the bypass is no riskier than having your gall bladder out. This op is now carried out more routinely so they become more skilled.

Just realising, us NHS'ers are probably much more prepared for the op than the peeps who go private as we have loads & loads & loads, oh did I say loads of time to do our research whereas private patients are operated on very quickly. Never thought I would see a plus in the NHS waiting list, lol :):):)

Hi Twinkle. Good point. Also those of us on the long winding NHS route get at least one (long 2 or 3 hour) "information session", plus the hospital I am with runs monthly support meetings for pre and post op patients where we get the opportunity to ask people who have had the op their experiences.

Didn't realise until now that one (minor) disadvantage of going private was, perhaps, slightly less info and support.

Doughie said:
I was reading up - now i am worried about the mortality rate, serious doubts now

Doughie,

Welcome to the site, you will find there are answers to so many questions here just by asking.

I was told the mortality rates are about 0.1%, or 1 in 1000 surgeries, for bypass patients and 0.05%, or 1 in 2000 surgeries, for sleeve patients. I was also told that this is because of the fact they operate on patients who wouldn't normally be operated on because of their weight issues!

Tatiana

Last edited:
Sharonimo said:
Hi Twinkle. Good point. Also those of us on the long winding NHS route get at least one (long 2 or 3 hour) "information session", plus the hospital I am with runs monthly support meetings for pre and post op patients where we get the opportunity to ask people who have had the op their experiences.

Didn't realise until now that one (minor) disadvantage of going private was, perhaps, slightly less info and support.

Hi Sharonimo,

This is another area where NHS trusts differ - the one I'm under DON'T offer group sessions as part of the process, you are lucky if you see a doctor more than once during the whole thing and when you do see someone they are very minimal with the information they give out unless you push - or at least that has been my experience and I only got a second appointment with the consultant because of how I've been messed about over the last 18 months!

One thing we do have is a fairly good patient support group out of hours on the last Friday of the month with both medical input and past patients telling their stories as well as time to chat more informally.

Tatiana

We're lucky, (although I didn't think so when i was sent the list of appointments) we had to attend group sessions run by a dietitian and a psychologist for 3 months, ususally every 2 weeks for 2 hours at a time. I learned loads and it really helped me make an informed decision.

i just want to try and help you feel a bit less worried ,like everyone else ,my surgeon was brilliant,gave me all the facts before my op,,,,the op its self was almost painfree for me ,,i did have probs with phnemonia ,which was sorted quickly ,and i had lots of bad pain after with a wound infection,and a recut port,,,all my problems came after my gastric bypass and gallbladder removal,, my gall bladder was infected at time of removal,hence the infection,i can honestly say it was less painful than other surgeries ive had,,,my biggest issue was using the loo,luckily i bought a bottom wiper,yes they do make em! ,which was a god send ,lol not just for its proper use , yuk i know! but helped me pull up my pantys , pick up my nighty when i changed and many other things haha ,,dont be to scared love its a life changing and life saving op,,,,,,,in a few weeks youl look back and be so happy you done it ,good luck, i really do wish you a safe and life enhancing journey xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eating Post-0p

Hi Doughie

The first 24 hours after my op I thought “what have they done to me”. I felt awful, but as the proceeding hours passed I began to feel better. In the first 24hr’s I just had water to sip, the next day I was drinking more water. Three days after I began to drink milk. After ten days I was drinking soup and yoghurt. After a 2 week I could eat baked beans, mashed potatoes and gravy and scrambled eggs. As the days post-op went by I began to feel better and better. On Saturday night which was 6 weeks post-op I had my first sirloin steak, all be it the size of a small beef burger, but it seemed like a landmark. All I can tell you is that every day post-op you feel better and better.

Stavros

Thanks everyone for the help. got a lot of stuff in the post today from my consultant and have a nurse at the end of the phone - i think its just easier to ask here that actually speak to someone - if that makes sense? - its always very embarrassing to have to ask face to face. I am still going to have it - i need to loose weight - is there a place to see if anyone has had the same consultant as me?

Best way is to post where you are being seen and who your surgeon is. Others will soon come and confirm how great the hospital/surgeon is!

Tatiana

Back