• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newb

FattyMcBigbum

Wannabe..ThinnyMctinytush
Hey all, my name is Lis I recently went to the Dr for help losing weight. I was expecting to be offered more pills (previously prescribed Xenical) so when he referred me for a consultation for a Gastric Band I was very shocked.

Cos I wasn't expecting this I know little about the surgery so I'm hoping to get some information from people who have had it done, which I hope will help me make a decision as to whether I should go ahead with it. My consultation is on the 25th January

hiya welcome to this forum , you will get lots of great advice on here, i was originally refered by my dr for a band but when i saw the surgion he said id be better suited to a bypass , so my advice would be to keep an open mind and to research research and research some more lol im reading wls for dummies at the moment and it covers different types of wls, maybe somthing like that may help x good luck

Hey FattyMcBigbum i love your name it rocks, welcome to minis, have a search around you'll find all you need to know, I like rybens initially went for a band but was told i was too big and it would therefore not be an option xx

Hi & welcome, I'm sure you'll find everything you need to know from this wonderful forum...Good luck

Hi Fattymcbigbum i too am loving the new name.

I'd suggest you keep an open mind too, years ago when i first considered wls i too wanted the band and the surgeon when assessing my eating habits suggested the bypass. Now i've done the research and finally given up the ghost on trying to lose the weight myself i am going for my bypass and hoping to have it sometime in the first half next year!

Keep an open mind. Nip to the library and see can you get 'Weight loss surgery for dummies' to read through. Read the posts on this site thoroughly.

Good luck xxxx

Hiya, definately agree to keep an open mind. Now I have finally had my band I wish I had avoided all the years of failed diets and my own fair share of diet drugs (some very dodgy) and had it done a long time ago as the results have been worth it.
I hope that wether you go for surgery or not, that you find your way to your slim self in the end x

Hello and welcome :)

I think what has been said already is valid. Read up as much as you can on weight loss surgery and keep an open mind. Whatever you choose I hope you are successful with your weight loss :)

Hi there and welcome ... you know I went for my first consultation July just gone. I thought I wanted a gastric band, but after the Consultant showed me videos of procedures and chatted with me (dietician too) he suggested I would be better off having a bypass. I must admit I didn't know much at the time but since visiting this forum I have learnt such a lot, he's right I do need a bypass, convinced yes and happy with my decision ... just got to be patient now ... take care

Hi Lis, and welcome to the site.

You will find all the support you need here and if you have any questions - just ask.

WHich hospital have you been referred to?

Hi

Welcome to WLSurgery, I can't offer a lot of advice as I haven't got as far down the line as you but hope your journey is a happy and smooth one xxx

Wanted to take this opportunity to say hi and welcome to you! I hope you make yourself at home here, this place is full of helpful, supportive people at various stages of the weight loss surgery journey. I would echo the suggestions of the other peeps about doing the research, it goes a long way to making you feel like you are prepared for the journey if you know what your options are and what the pros & cons of each surgery is.

Let us know if we can help,
Nic:)

Back