• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

newbie 19 days off op

Jackie redgirl

Hi Guys, i am having my gastric bypass on monday 25th jan. i am due to begin my liver reduction diet this weekend but after reading on here i am slightly confused, i was told to eat a sensible diet of lean meat and veg, with fruit and fluids thrown in for 2 weeks before. People on here have mentioned the milk diet, some talk of using slimfast and others the food diet. How do we decide which one to try and is there one that works better than others.

After reading your diaries i feel much more relaxed ( maybe not the best word ) there are some really inspiring people on here, hopefully i can get the same support as i begin my journey.

Hi and welcome, each surgeon has their own diet they give you. Some do low calorie, others milk just depends on your team. Good luck with the pre-op and all the best for your op.

If you are not sure ask your bariatric team.

If you have not been given a specific diet then anything low fat low carb in fact low everything can only be to the good of your liver - it helps reduce the fat round the liver and makes the surgery easier for the surgeon.

It was my fear to wake up and for them to say sorry they hadn't done it cos my liver was too fat but I woke up to the whole op having been done not just the sleeve bit - so I was vey pleased

Good luck Angela x

hiya and :welcome2: as has been said above different doctors give different diets mine gave me a choice i could do milk diet or healthy low fat diet which i followed because i think i would have got sick of having milk after one day lol, good luck with it keep us up to date, where are you having your op? :)

Hi, i am having my surgery at Salford Royal ( Hope hospital) the surgeon is Mr Basil Ammouri, i have only been to clinic once though i saw the dietician for 6 months, we watched a powerpoint with a nurse then saw the surgeon, they did say about the pre op diet but didnt really go into detail. I have done alot of research myself and think i am pretty much in the know as to what is going to happen, i am having my bypass done keyhole so thats why i want to make sure i manage to reduce my liver enough, would hate them to have to do a full cut because it isnt shrunk enough.
Its really amazing the things that go through your mindm usually only the negatives !!! I am sure i will be fine, i have 4 children to be fine for. Will keep you informed and thanks for your advise.

Hi, i will keep you updated, i am having my op at Hope hospital, Salford.
I am thinking of trying the slimfast diet as i think that will give me the best chance of losing weight. I have spent hours on here today reading diaries and other things, this site is awesome and has helped me massively, thanks.

Well i`m off for my pre op in the morning, not too sure what to expect but hope to find out more info, thanks ladies
Sorry, i am having my op at Hope hospital, otherwise known as Salford royal

Well thats the pre op done with, got to do the low sugar/fat and carb diet for the next 2 weeks and the only reason surgery wont happen on the day is if my blood sugar level is over 13, jobs a good en !!
i think things are now officially moving, only emotion left now is excitement, am sure the nerves will come back soon.

Brilliant nearly there now x

Hi Jackie and welcome! :D Just wanted to wish you luck with your liver shrinking diet, some people find it really hard to begin with but it does get easier, I promise. I did the Slimfast diet and it was hell the first week but fine the second. Anyway you can do the low cal low carb one so that's good.

Lots of people on here have had Mr Ammori as their surgeon and speak very highly of him, you are in good hands.

Best of luck and let us know how it's going,
Cuppa xx

Well 10 days to go and i am soo excited, i am on day 4 of my pre op diet and am doing really well, on low carbs/sugar/fat diet, knowing its only for 2 weeks helps i think. The temptation to weigh myself has become a slight obsession but i am trying to stop it as every time i do iv gone up then down then up so i am hiding my scales. How often do people weigh themselves post op ? is it weekly ? My other question is, are pjs or nighties better for hospital, i only have pjs but think with the wound a nightie might be better, any opinions ?
Thanks x

Well its my last weekend of my old life !! Surgery on Monday, cant believe i am still excited and not particularly nervous, is this normal ? think perhaps it will kick in over the weekend. Just want it over with now, want to wake up and as long as i do that the rest will be fine.
Oh and i have lost 13lbs on the pre op diet, good stuff.

Back