• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

newbie 19 days off op

:)Hi Jackie-not long to go now:)
Good luck for tomorrow & hope you have a quick recovery

Well i`m home !!! Feeling alot better than i expected, had my first taste of consomme today and am drinking lots of fluids.
I got the dreaded, am i being selfish idea on Monday morning when i saw my kids off to school, the is that the last time i will see them syndrome.
I had to be at the hospital for 11am, once there it was all systems go, surgeon came and talked about what was going to happen, aneastsist came, then the nurse came and said were ready for you. I walked to theatre feeling amazingly calm and they got straight to work on me, the doc said we are going to inject now and you will feel sleepy, i looked up at the clock it was 1-15pm.
I woke up on the ward and felt immediately sick, was retching alot but didnt actually vomit. I asked where my husband was and she said he would be here tomorrow and that hed phoned, it was now 11-30pm. It turned out the op which they said would take 1-3 hours took just short of 6 hours, no reason why apparently, just said it was long and difficult but the outcome is perfect. Bless my oh he was told to phone about 2-30pm to see what was happening, eventually he found out ar 7-30pm. Well i slept till 1-45am then was wide awake though not particually in pain, the doc came round the following morning and said everything had gone well and i could go home the next day aslong as i kept feeling ok. Which i did, i was walking around and drinking lots of fluids so came home at 2pm yesterday. Today i feel extremely tired but moreorless pain free just quite tender. So all is going quite well and i shall keep you all informed, thanks.

Well i am on day 7 post op and i think i have done really well, i have had relatively no pain, no sickness and felt fine, that was till today !!
I woke up at 4-15am and could not get back off so ended getting up at 5am, for the first time since my surgery i felt hungry, so had a cup of tea and was fine. I have a fab Hubby and 4 great kids, they all rose about 9ish. On a Sunday, my hub always makes a to die for breakfast, the full works, he asked if i minded him doing this for himself and the kids and i said of course he could, big mistake !! i sat watching them eating and felt terrible, i would of given my right arm to eat that so i decided i would leave the room. In the afternoon said Hub made a roast dinner, which again i was fine with, why should he and the kids suffer, again during the cooking i sat alone in the living room, usually the kitchen is the main room in our house, we all congregate there. I truly felt excluded today from my own family, and i hated it. I have not mentioned this to anybody as i dont want to make them feel bad. Not sure what the answer is and i know it is only for a short time.
Now i am sat here trying to put these awful fastabs in my mouth, they really are horrid, i also have to dissolve my other tablet in water and it makes me gag having it, again i know only short term.
Well i think thats my rant over with, but if anybody has any advise and not avoiding my family i would appreciate it !!! Thanks

oh that must be tough for you luv, short ter it may be but if it part of your family routine it must be difficult.
Is it worth having a smoothie or small amount of soup at the same time to make you feel like you aren't excluded?xxx

I just sat at the table with my soup and let them get on with it.

I have fantastic daughters who did the cooking cos I couldn't stand fr long enough due to back pain and hubby was ill himself and couldn't cook.

Its still hard now when they have a plateful of food and I have my one potato, few bits of veg and protein !!

But we try to have normal mealtimes and chat like we should do - it does get easier to adapt over time but isn't easy

Keep positive - as your weight comes down it will seem worth it !!

The first few weeks can be a different time when you have to adapt

Plan all that clothes shopping you will have to do !!

Best wishes Angela

Well i am 12 days post op now and feeling fine. I ma going back to work on Monday and am quite excited about that, slightly worried i will be shattered but think thats to be expected.
I have just got back from my docs and since my surgery day, 12 days ago i have lost 22lbs, i am stunned and absolutely delighted with this.
I have been feeling abit teary the last few days and dont really get why, though reading other peoples posts this seems quite normal !
Well nothing else to report so i shall sign off but want to thank everybody for there fab posts on here, i still come on daily and read all the great tips, they are soo useful.

Good luck back at work on Monday, it does seem really quick to be going back. I haven't had mine yet so could just be me thinking that. I think from what I have read the tears are quite normal. Take care.

Back