• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie considering Gastric Wrap/Plication

dizziest

Hi All

I have a very long and arduous relationship with my weight, which i guess we have all had! Over the past 3 years, since my Dr refused to help me, I have gone from 137kg to 113kg, using the Cambridge Diet, but every time I stop the weight goes back on despite swimming 3 times a week, going to the gym 2 times and being regularly active :(:(:(

I have been looking at different options and think that the Gastric Wrap would be my best option, but can only find one centre that offers if, the National Obesity Surgery Centre, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? how long the recovery is? and how long from consultant appointment to booking the op?

Anyway, I shall leave you now, and wish you all success with your diets!

xx

Hi and welcome.
I am sorry I don't know much about the wrap other than it is one of the ops least often used. This means there wont be quite as many folks here with experience of one but hopefully someone will see your query.
What makes you consider the wrap in particular?

Hi Dizziest.

I looked at the wrap initially, but that was only after speaking to a foreign company who seemed to do this op as a preference and in fact tried to push it, rather than compare to the others.

I think it is quite a rare op in the UK market, with companies preferring the by-pass, sleeve and band. I guess the benefits of the wrap and band as they're potentially reversible. I went for the sleeve as I wanted a permanent solution

I was initially thinking of the wrap too. What little info I could find on it suggested that it was a bit less of a sure thing than the more common ops and not too well understood yet.
In my opinion the sleeve is the best operation - although it seems drastic, it had the fewest conplications afterward, once the initial recovery period is over you basically eat exactly like a normal person, just slightly smaller quantities. No worrying about dumping or reflux like the other ops because all the anatomy is still in place as nature intended - just the stomach is physically smaller.

I've not read anything about long term problems of someone having a surgically smaller stomach. The only stuff I found was bypass related, or band.

In my opinion the sleeve is the best operation - although it seems drastic, it had the fewest conplications afterward, once the initial recovery period is over you basically eat exactly like a normal person, just slightly smaller quantities. No worrying about dumping or reflux like the other ops because all the anatomy is still in place as nature intended - just the stomach is physically smaller.

I've not read anything about long term problems of someone having a surgically smaller stomach. The only stuff I found was bypass related, or band.

Oh dear, sorry but this simply isn't the case. Reflux is prevalent with a sleeve actually. As many as one in five suffer from it a year post op.

I think you must of read some very biased reports because there are many issues that can occur with a sleeve, such as staple line leaks, bleeding and strictures.

Also although not common, failure to learn how to eat small meals slowly can lead to gastric dumping. If the stomach becomes overloaded, particularly if it contains too much liquid, food passes too quickly into the intestines. The rush of too much food into the upper intestine may cause nausea, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness and fatigue. This can actually become a disorder and a source of potentially serious problems.

Sounds like I was rather misinformed then, thanks!

Have you had the sleeve Venture?

Yes VA I'm a sleever, 2 weeks out, have a big diary thread if you're interested in my experiences :)

Yes I am very interested x

Oh dear, sorry but this simply isn't the case. Reflux is prevalent with a sleeve actually. As many as one in five suffer from it a year post op.

I think you must of read some very biased reports because there are many issues that can occur with a sleeve, such as staple line leaks, bleeding and strictures.

Also although not common, failure to learn how to eat small meals slowly can lead to gastric dumping. If the stomach becomes overloaded, particularly if it contains too much liquid, food passes too quickly into the intestines. The rush of too much food into the upper intestine may cause nausea, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness and fatigue. This can actually become a disorder and a source of potentially serious problems.

You're right Mazza. It was only about 6 weeks ago I had my first 'dump' and this was 6 months + after my op! All due to a couple too many minstrels.

Don't get me wrong, I love my sleeve, but absolutely no WLS is an easy option.

Everything has its pro's and con's some may say that the sleeve is in fact the most severe solution as it's not reversible. If you have severe reflux with a sleeve or the stoma is stretched you can only go on to have a bypass but you will never get back the piece of stomach they threw away (not that you would ever probably want it back!)

Back