• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie from north east lincs

Rob82

Hi I'm Rob, living in Immingham near Grimsby. Had my referral from gp last month Oct 2017 and had 2 blood tests ,got a letter putting me on tier 3 today. So I'm right at the beginning of my journey. Not Even sure which surgery I want, just looking for info. I think my surgery will be in Hull as that's where the letters are from, if anyone has been or is going their it would be good to hear from you.

Last edited:
Hi, I had my referral in July this year, put on tier 4 at Hull (the closest bariatric unit). I didn't do tier 3 but I hope you find someone on here who did so they could give you tips/advice. Good luck with the process :)

Hi I'm Rob, living in Immingham near Grimsby. Had my referral from gp last month Oct 2017 and had 2 blood tests ,got a letter putting me on tier 3 today. So I'm right at the beginning of my journey. Not Even sure which surgery I want, just looking for info. I think my surgery will be in Hull as that's where the letters are from, if anyone has been or is going their it would be good to hear from you.

Hi and welcome! :)

I had all my appointments and surgery at Castle Hill in Hull. I had the gastric sleeve on 03.07.2017 and I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Good luck on your journey.

Thanks for replying. Lol I'm just a nervous newbie, not sure what to expect. My Gp suggested I get a band fitted and referred me, but I'm not sure I want a band after doing a bit of research. They seem to have problems like slippage or erosion. And I have no idea what tier 3 all about besides what was on the letter. Never been to castle hill what's it like as a hospital.

Thanks for replying. Lol I'm just a nervous newbie, not sure what to expect. My Gp suggested I get a band fitted and referred me, but I'm not sure I want a band after doing a bit of research. They seem to have problems like slippage or erosion. And I have no idea what tier 3 all about besides what was on the letter. Never been to castle hill what's it like as a hospital.

We all started out like that. I had no idea what to expect when I was originally referred by my GP. I’m not sure what “tier 3” is, it was never referred to me in that terminology however I did have a period of about 10 months when I saw the dietician regularly, had to attend a weight loss support group and also meet with the surgical team/Bariatric nurse to check that I was an appropriate candidate which I’m imagining you will also do but I was told from the very beginning that it was a 90% chance I’d be approved for surgery, as long as I did what the dietician asked and I was originally asked to lose 5% of my weight initially and then from that point on, I had to maintain that weight and couldn’t gain any throughout the whole process, they want to make sure you are committed to the journey. Honestly my whole experience at Castle Hill was great, the staff are brilliant and I was well informed throughout. I can remember my journey well, I didn’t think I’d ever get my surgery date but here I am, 4 months out and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. Any other questions, let me know

Thanks that's very helpful. Sounds a lot like what's I just read on my letter. Got to meet dietician, psychologist, bariatric nurse etc, gonna last a year 6 months to lose 5% and 6 to keep it off.

Thanks that's very helpful. Sounds a lot like what's I just read on my letter. Got to meet dietician, psychologist, bariatric nurse etc, gonna last a year 6 months to lose 5% and 6 to keep it off.

Yeah sounds exactly like the process I did. To be honest I could have been put on the waiting list sooner but I put on a couple of pounds when I was stressed from being made redundant so Beryl (dietician) made me go back to see her once more and lose it so that pushed me back a few more months. Good luck and let me know how you get on at your first appointment :)

Hello, so sitting here reading loads of posts and was just wondering how long it took from your referral to your first appointment. I sent a letter back on the 13th nov confirming I wanted to start on tier 3 but not heard anything yet. Am I in for a wait.

Last edited:
Back