• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie having band 28.4.2012

Piglet99

Hello, I'm new. Am provisionally booked to have a band by single incision through the belly button on 28.4.2012 with Prof Favretti at Spire through Healthier Weight.

Just wondered if any tips for prep for surgery and any reviews of post surgery cookbooks as not sure of what to purée etc.

Helllo and welcome to the forum I'm pre op and having bypass so can't help much just wanted to say hey, and there are loads who can help xxx

welcome i have a band and getting it removed soo as possible to get a bypass can i ask y did you pick a band ? ihave 2 and had nothing but trouble and cost me a fortune fills in and out to slack to tight you will be on clear fluids for a week then mushy foods i know many wat the band as worked for but it dident for me good luck x

hey piglet, welcome to the site, there are many successful banders on here, feel free to join in and ask any questions :) xxx

As with every op there's good and bad stories just do plenty of research! I love my band as know I wouldn't have lost 5 stone on my own merit. I don't do cooking in afraid but there's enough ready meals out there that can be mushed up etc and it's not for long before you're then back on solids!! x

Your provider will supply you with both a pre-op and post-op diet plan. You can puree just about anything though - it is the consistency that is important, so the addition of low-cal sauce / gravy will make anything pureeable (is that a word?)
You'll only be on puree for a short while, so don't go buying an expensive blender unless you wanted one anyway. A fork and a sieve do just as well.

Books mentioned on here are 'Back to Slender' (1&2) 'WLS cookbook for Dummies'.

Any low-cal cookbook is good for banders. Try your local library or search online for low-cal recipes. With a band you have to be really disciplined about what you eat as you absorb everything. Your band is just a tool to be listened to, to help you recognise you are full before you carry on with a full blowout as in the bad old days. It won't stop those sloppy calories getting digested.

If you don't think you can live like that, then a band isn't for you.

As far as preparation goes - do your research on here, look at the diaries of the successful banders - Mazza, Blue Diamond to name just 2 - and ask questions (though it helps if you do a search to see if the same question has already been answered first)

Good luck, and welcome Piglet.

Welcome Piglet. I agree with everything futureperfect said. Enjoy the journey and as Jo said, try to do as much research as you can in advance. There are lots of us on here to give you a helping hand x

Thanks

Thanks for the posts, I'm obviously in very supportive company.

I've bought both the books mentioned. I'm going to make stuff in advance and freeze it as I have a hectic job so want to be prepared.

I've found band size plastic tubs in the pound shop so bought some of those and I already have a magi mix that comes with a baby bowl so all sorted on the blending front.

I saw stage 1 and 2 organic low sugar baby food in aldi yesterday, is this ok to have?

Have done loads of reasearch. Had one surgeon consultation already but didn't like the support nurse, she was a bit annoying. Then rang Healthier Weight and clicked with her straight away. Plus they were upfront about cost and sent me loads of info without asking. The other one wouldnt give me a cost without having a consult.

Have decided on band as if doesn't work or problems it can come out but bypass is permanent.

Wanted no scars and reduced recovery as I own my own business so opted for SILS through the belly button.

Am having a little send off for some of the things I may not be able to have in the future eg champagne. Husband thinks I am bonkers :p

good luck on your journey hun xx

Welcome n good luck :) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Welcome to the site. I'm a new bandit & just wanted to wish you luck. I agree with your reason for choosing a band & from reading your posts I think you will have great success. Lovely fellow banders on here, don't be afraid to ask anything! :) xx

Back