• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie here :-)

Maz0106

Hey everybody my name is Maz from Croydon south London. I'm having a gastric bypass on 20th Feb on the NHS. I'm under st George's hospital but I am having my op at the private hospital at st Anthony's.

I started my liver shrinking diet yesterday (sat) and I managed it very well considering I was at a family party ( an 18th) With a very big Buffett and I just got through it by drinking tea and I brought my soups.

Today however I have woken up with a mega headache,mim assuming this is normal?? Am I ok to take my usual ibrofrofen (allergic to paracetamol) ???
I'm also using 4head, how long will these headaches last.?? I'm also feeling soo sick from severe hunger pangs :-((((

I do hope your all well, I'll look forward to chatting to you all more.

Maz
Xx

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
Today however I have woken up with a mega headache,mim assuming this is normal?? Am I ok to take my usual ibrofrofen (allergic to paracetamol) ???
I'm also using 4head, how long will these headaches last.?? I'm also feeling soo sick from severe hunger pangs :-((((

The hunger and headaches last about 2 -3 days as your body goes into ketosis (fat burning mode) and deals with the shock of the carbohydrate restriction. It is the body craving its old favourite carbs which causes the headaches.

I was advised paracetamol to deal with those headaches, not sure about Ibuprofen -- but on the basis you are allergic to paracetamol seems you don't have much choice. (Aspirin?)

Good luck with your op.

I am based in the Selhurst / Thornton Heath area if you want to meet up after your op.

Best wishes,
Sharon
x

JoJoTGirl

Hiya. I'm fairly new around here too but am already finding it very useful. I had nasty headaches for about 3 days which I attributed to sugar withdrawal (as my dietician said I would get them). I have to say I was specifically told by my anaesthatist not to take any ibuprofen / aspirin / voltarol in the 2 weeks before my surgery (didn't ask why to be honest) so it would be worth double checking with your team before you use it. Good luck with your op. These two weeks will sail by and it's surprisingly easy to stick to the prep diet even though you are starving when you think of the complications that doing so can help avoid. Good news is you don't feel hungry after the op.

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
I have to say I was specifically told by my anaesthatist not to take any ibuprofen / aspirin / voltarol in the 2 weeks before my surgery (didn't ask why to be honest) so it would be worth double checking with your team before you use it.

Now you've said that it reminds me I think all of those pain killers -- ibuprofen aspirin and voltarol -- are all NSAIDs and NSAIDS are known to *sometimes* aggravate the stomach and cause ulcers etc.

Of course the likelihood that a small does *would* suddenly cause an ulcer you had never had in the 10 days before surgery is small ...... but the surgeons always err on the side of caution -- especially as they have probably done an endoscopy a month or two months ago -- and don't want to then do the surgery and find some problem inside that was not there when they did the endoscopy.

Maz: do speak to your team and explain that you are allergic to paracetamol and ask what would they recommend instead.

H12

Hi Maz
I am also under St George's and saw the consultant last Friday. I will hopefully know within a few weeks what is happening.You are so lucky to be going to St Anthony's, l have heard very good reports of people going there. Well good luck for the 20th and keep posting your journey. Hxx

carebear1

Welcome Maz :)

Maz0106

Thank you all soooo much for your kind words!!
Sharon a meet sounds good, I'm up for that. :)

With regards to the tablets I'll call them tommorownand ask, thanks again.

I'm getting nervous now as we are very fastly approaching. I'm sure I'll be ok.

Maz xx

angiemason

Hi maz good luck with everything xxx

Bubbly74

Welcome, you will find all the support and answers to your questions on here. Everyone is so helpful and understanding :) x

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
Thank you all soooo much for your kind words!!
Sharon a meet sounds good, I'm up for that. :)

When you get your post count up to 50 or more, we can swap PM (private messages) to swap email addys / mobile numbers etc.

You can take part in the 'Word Association' games to get your post count up ....... if you like ...... or just wait for it to happen naturally.

Best wishes,
sharon

Maz0106

hi Sharon, yeah I'll do that I think. Ill PM you as soon as I can. Xx

Slimmingnix

Hi Maz,
I had my bypass at st Anthony's, under st George's though, on 21 Dec.
Pre op diet gets remarkably easier... I did mine through dec whilst there were so many Xmas party invites!!!
BTW, st Anthony's is wonderful. Lovely nurse called Drew was really kind.

Good luck! Keep us informed of your progress!