• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie here

mandymoo101

Hello, I am sort of a newbie. I have been a member since June 2015, but am only posting tonight!!!!
I have been too embarrassed before now!

Well I had my band fitted in 2008, had very slow weight loss to start, but eventually lost a total of 9st. I got down to 9st 10lbs. loved it - could wear jean.
Unfortunately, everyone kept telling me I looked too slim - I couldn't see it, but looking back now I was.

December 2014, due to acid reflux, my band was loosened totally. It was heaven, I could eat anything, and believe me I did.
I had agreed with my consultant to have a bypass, as it was believed all along that I had the wrong surgery. I have a very sweet tooth, so could actually eat sweets with the band, just not proper food as my band was too tight.

I was due to have my bypass in April 2015, but I went on an all inclusive holiday, where I tried to stick to the milk diet. I did most of the time, but not all of the time!!!!!
I was told I couldn't have surgery, as I hadn't lost enough weight. This went on until May. In the end I decided to go with another surgeon, who said I only had to stick to the milk diet for one week.
I did, so had my surgery last June 2015.

Surgery went well. Unfortunately because of my snacking I have only lost a total of 1 stone since June. I really thought that I wouldn't be able to eat sweets and chocolates - get really bad dumping, but I can. I have logged my daily food in take. Food is good, a total of 800 kcals. But then I will have an extra 2000 kcals of snacks.

I feel so disappointed in myself. I have spent all this money, but yet I can't seem to control myself, and I'm not losing the weight.
I know if I gave up the snacking, the weight would fall off me, but I just can't seem to do it.
I keep trying to remind myself, that I was actually slim with the band, but that doesn't make a difference.
I weigh 14st 7lbs, and will be happy at 11 St, but at this rate, it's a long way off!!!!!

I have been too embarrassed to post on here before now, as everyone is so successful. Loosing so much weight, which is brilliant. I just wish I could control my snacking, I don't know why I'm doing this to myself.

mandymoo101

RE: Not so new!!!

Hello,

I have been a member for quite some time, but have not actually posted anything, as I have been too embarrassed :eek:.

I had a Gastric Band fitted back in 2008. My psychiatrist at the time, felt it wasn't the right surgery for me, as I have a sweet tooth. However, I had it fitted just before seeing her.

My Band did work for me, I went from 18.5st to 9.10st. My psychiatrist kept telling me to be prepared for the band to go wrong, and to start saving for a Gastric Bypass, as they only have a life of about 5yrs.

Well in 2014, I started to get really bad acid reflux at night, so my band was loosened fully, with the view of having a revision to a Gastric Bypass.

Unfortunately I added three stone in three months, which worried the Bariatric team. It was all from sweets and chocolates.

It was agreed that my surgery would take place in March 2015, just after my 'All Inclusive' Holiday!!!!! Even though I tried to stick to the milk and yogurt diet, I slipped at times. Needless to say, I didn't loose any weight, but I also didn't add any!!!!

My surgery was put off until June, still having to stick to the milk diet. Well I really did struggle, did manage to loose some weight. My surgery was cancelled again, as I was due to go on holiday four weeks after surgery. The team didn't think this was a good idea in case there were any complications.
At this stage I really couldn't be bothered, at the end of the day I was paying for the surgery!

So I went with someone else. I only had to do a week of the milk diet.
Thankfully I went on holiday and everything was fine. Unfortunately, because of going with another team, my psychiatrist no longer wanted to work with me. She felt that I had gone against her advise - which is true!

However, this is where my embarrassment lies, I am 6 months post-op, and I have only lost 1 stone in total. I am still eating the sweets and chocolates.
My psychiatrist raved that the Bypass was definitely the right surgery for me, that I would not be able to eat anything sweet. The 'Dumping' would be so bad, that it would put me off - well that is not the case!!!!!!

I am seeing a dietitian, who is advising me what to eat, but that is not the problem. I do eat healthy food, and will stop when I am full, however, the sweets and chocs are my problem.

I know I can loose the weight as I have done it in the past, however, I am really struggling.

All the threads that I read are so inspiring, everyone has done so well, but then I look at myself and think, what the hell are you doing?
I know I am the only person who can deal with this, stop myself from eating rubbish, but my goodness do I struggle - I actually want my Band Back!!!! No I don't really, at least I can actually eat now, not just one spoonful!!!

Sorry if I sound like I'm feeling sorry for myself
Mandymoo

mandymoo101

Confused!

I'm confused, I tried to introduce myself earlier, but it has not appeared on any thread.
I submitted it as a New Thread, Is this correct?

Mandymoo

Loving the Loop

Not sure what happened, I'm not very technical. But welcome now its worth persevering.

los in it

well whatever you did must have been ok because we can see you!
hello and welcome !

beepbeepcat

Welcome....Never be embarrassed, we all have hang ups that's why we are here. What about some counselling? It may help with why you snack....just a suggestion. Anyway if you want to rant, we are here.

Monalisa

Hello and welcome I have just converted band to sleeve due to acid problems I too have a sweet tooth and am a snacker so have sympathy fur you X

niccie

I'm confused, I tried to introduce myself earlier, but it has not appeared on any thread. I submitted it as a New Thread, Is this correct? Mandymoo
welcome, the head battle is very tough, maybe you need some help with the snack addiction?

WestysWifey

Hello,

I have been a member for quite some time, but have not actually posted anything, as I have been too embarrassed :eek:.

I had a Gastric Band fitted back in 2008. My psychiatrist at the time, felt it wasn't the right surgery for me, as I have a sweet tooth. However, I had it fitted just before seeing her.

My Band did work for me, I went from 18.5st to 9.10st. My psychiatrist kept telling me to be prepared for the band to go wrong, and to start saving for a Gastric Bypass, as they only have a life of about 5yrs.

Well in 2014, I started to get really bad acid reflux at night, so my band was loosened fully, with the view of having a revision to a Gastric Bypass.

Unfortunately I added three stone in three months, which worried the Bariatric team. It was all from sweets and chocolates.

It was agreed that my surgery would take place in March 2015, just after my 'All Inclusive' Holiday!!!!! Even though I tried to stick to the milk and yogurt diet, I slipped at times. Needless to say, I didn't loose any weight, but I also didn't add any!!!!

My surgery was put off until June, still having to stick to the milk diet. Well I really did struggle, did manage to loose some weight. My surgery was cancelled again, as I was due to go on holiday four weeks after surgery. The team didn't think this was a good idea in case there were any complications.
At this stage I really couldn't be bothered, at the end of the day I was paying for the surgery!

So I went with someone else. I only had to do a week of the milk diet.
Thankfully I went on holiday and everything was fine. Unfortunately, because of going with another team, my psychiatrist no longer wanted to work with me. She felt that I had gone against her advise - which is true!

However, this is where my embarrassment lies, I am 6 months post-op, and I have only lost 1 stone in total. I am still eating the sweets and chocolates.
My psychiatrist raved that the Bypass was definitely the right surgery for me, that I would not be able to eat anything sweet. The 'Dumping' would be so bad, that it would put me off - well that is not the case!!!!!!

I am seeing a dietitian, who is advising me what to eat, but that is not the problem. I do eat healthy food, and will stop when I am full, however, the sweets and chocs are my problem.

I know I can loose the weight as I have done it in the past, however, I am really struggling.

All the threads that I read are so inspiring, everyone has done so well, but then I look at myself and think, what the hell are you doing?
I know I am the only person who can deal with this, stop myself from eating rubbish, but my goodness do I struggle - I actually want my Band Back!!!! No I don't really, at least I can actually eat now, not just one spoonful!!!

Sorry if I sound like I'm feeling sorry for myself
Mandymoo
Hi mandy, firstly it's OK to feel sorry for yourself as we all have moments like that in our lives. 2ndly I am now 6 months post bypass as I too can eat chocolates and sweets with no dumping, nothing although recently things have started to change with regards to eating anything high in sugar n sweet and before now I could consume anything high in sugar, fat, the lot, u name it I could eat it and all with no problems and no dumping but lately I have noticed that things are changing for me and I had 3 mini pancakes and an areo hot chocolate drink and omfg, firstly I could hear all the trapped wind moving around in my stomach and then I started for feel really nauseous, so much so that I went to the bathroom and stuck my fingers down my throat to try and throw it all back up but to no avail. (I have never managed to make myself sick since surgery don't know why but nothing will ever come back up) anyway after reaching a few times the sickness feeling started to feel a little better and then I started getting severe cramps and bellyache and had to run to the loo. I had really bad gripe pain and then really bad lose stools (sorry for the grossness) and all of what I eat and the hot chocolate was down the loo within seconds. But the gripe pain was horrendous, I was shaking and sweating big time. So just be very careful as your luck with eating chocolate and sweets could change the next time you swallow any of that food hun, just like mine has done now I'm 6 months out. And it is enough to put u off ever eating that crap again.x