• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

newbie here!!

sarah343

Hi all. Hope your all well. My name is Sarah. I am 33 years old and live in Lincolnshire. I start my journey on the 23rd of December where I have my first group session at Derby hospital. I have two disabled children and I'm a single mum. My now ex-husband left due to the kids being hard work and me being disgusting. I suffer from sleep apnea and use a cpap Machine and have recently been diagnosed with M.E. I comfort eat and " treat " myself with food. My drs think I may have a binge eating disorder. Will this ruin my chances of having weight lose surgery at all? Im over 26 stone and truly find myself hideous :cry:
But I'm extremely excited that this may be the break I've been waiting for. Could any one tell me what to expect at my first group session please? Also how long was it from first group meeting till actual surgery please? Looking forward to getting to know you all and hopefully making some new friends. Xxxxxxxxx

Hi Sarah welcome. What a lot your having to cope with m heart goes out to you. Unfortunately I am not In Your area so can't really be much help however I've got to say I think that your chances of surgery are good but I'm not the Nhs bariatric team. Do everything they ask you to, listen, take notes and enjoy the help your being given as it extreMly worth while. I went through tier three started this January and after a six month programe was refurred to surgery and yes it happens quick had it done 19th November. I lost 16kg in my tier three put back on three kg after and in my pre operation diet which was eleven days I lost six kg. since the 8November I've lost 33lb!

Thankyou for your message. Got to say a massive well done!!!! Your doing amazingly. When the team ask you to lose weight do they give you a food plan to follow? I'm just useless with food and live off microwavable meals for one xxxxxxx

Hello and a very warm welcome to you, you will find great people on here some with similar tales to you reading your entry only serves to remind us how strong we have to be to put up with whatever life throws at us
I cant help you with your other questions re length of time as im in london and each service works at its own pace
the first meeting is normal chats about how you got to where you are weight height taken discussions around what type of eater you are then chat about the range of WLS provided, recovery times expected weight lose , life post WLS
quite a lot happens I would as a small tip write any questions down you have running run your head to ask at the group meeting cant do you any harm it worked for me nothing worse than walking out wishing you said something
anyway I wish you luck I look forward to reading your progress

Hi Sarah! Welcome to the mad house. As I went private I can't help with the NHS route, but I can say it was the best decision I've ever made. There are so many people on this forum with so many different experiences - ask anything you want, no matter how daft you may think it is. We're here to help you on your journey to the new you.

xx :)

Hello Sarah and welcome! We have a lot in common. I have sleep apnoea and am a single mum too, my son is now 19 and away at University but his dad left us when he was only 6. My sleep apnoea was diagnosed while I was working my way through the pathway to bypass surgery and it delayed the process for several months as the surgeon wanted to wait until I was fully established on the machine. The fact you're already diagnosed and using CPAP should speed up this part of the process for you. I too have suffered with binge eating and for me this wasn't a barrier to surgery, if anything the team were more worried about 'grazing' patterns of eating. I can honestly say that 3 month post-surgery the binging is in the past! My only regret is that I didn't go down the surgical route sooner, I know it's not a magic wand and we have to still put the work in but it is also helping my self esteem massively to feel back in control and see the weight coming off.

It's hard to advise regarding timescales as everywhere seems to have different hoops to jump through. I was referred by my GP in December 2014 and had surgery in September 2015 but there was a delay due to the sleep apnoea diagnosis.

I think there's a lovely lady on here - Vain - who had her surgery in Derby in August this year. If she's around she might be able to advise on the local service but also check out the 'August 2015 surgeries' thread for some of her posts.

Lovely to meet you and good luck!

Potter x

Hi Sarah,

I have just started the process... third appointment with dietician in Jan and appointment with bariatric team at my local hospital in Feb. You have so much to contend with - well done for plodding on!! I think your eating habits sound similar to mine... having read what you said about rewarding yourself I do the same and if I'm honest with myself it stems back to childhood when my mother restricted myself and my sister from eating/drinking a lot of the unhealthy things I enjoy now. I was also wondering if this would hinder my chances but as stated by members here... I need to be 100% honest to take full advantage of the process.

Anyway best of of luck with your journey.

Welcome Sarah :)

Hi Sarah, Welcome to the forums :) Im new on the journey too so sadly cant be much help with the time line question.. i think its different for everyone depending on how their other appointments go. I personally didnt get a food plan from my first appointment. My dietitian told me to concentrate more on changing habits. sipping rather than gulping, eating slower so its easier to register when you're full, eating off smaller plates so you cant fit as much on them.. that kind of thing. She told me they usually like you to lose between 5 and 10% of your weight but that its all just numbers.. that it wont stop you from having surgery if you dont reach those targets but if you gain weight there might be a problem. I hope things go well for you! The people here have been so helpful to me, just giving me peace of mind. When i first decided to have surgery it was literally all i could think about and i didnt wanna bore my family with all the what ifs and i wonders.. its nice to have a place like this where you know everyone else is going through the same thing :)

P.S. Sounds like you had a lucky escape with your hubby. Anyone that could leave two kids with extra needs and calls a woman hes supposed to love disgusting doesnt seem worth much to me :) better off without him i reckon!

Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum. I too am new here so looking to chat with folks who 'get it' so this place is such a find.
I'm in Lincolnshire (north) but have a huge fondness for Derby as I completed my nurse training at DRI, City Hospital and Kingsway.
I have recently been listed but it has been such a lengthy process to this point (approx 3 years to date). I have attended a group session in Hull so it may differ but ours involved a teaching session with the dietician where they explained the 'rules' of eating post surgery. They aren't anything to worry about, not intimidating at all. If anything it's a good opportunity to chat with others going through the same.
If you haven't done so, and are able to to, I'd recommend the support groups as these people will become your go to's for much of the small stuff.
I look forward to watching your progress and best of luck!

Hi all. Hope your all well. My name is Sarah. I am 33 years old and live in Lincolnshire. I start my journey on the 23rd of December where I have my first group session at Derby hospital. I have two disabled children and I'm a single mum. My now ex-husband left due to the kids being hard work and me being disgusting. I suffer from sleep apnea and use a cpap Machine and have recently been diagnosed with M.E. I comfort eat and " treat " myself with food. My drs think I may have a binge eating disorder. Will this ruin my chances of having weight lose surgery at all? Im over 26 stone and truly find myself hideous :cry:
But I'm extremely excited that this may be the break I've been waiting for. Could any one tell me what to expect at my first group session please? Also how long was it from first group meeting till actual surgery please? Looking forward to getting to know you all and hopefully making some new friends. Xxxxxxxxx

Hi Sarah!
Welcome!!
I'm so sorry to hear about all you've been through.
I'm hoping your journey is a smooth one. But whatever happens don't give up xx

Hi sarah sorry to hear what you have gone through :(

I'm under the tier 3 at Hull. It's been a long old year but have my last appointment in 18 days.

Back