• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie with lots of Q's

pixiep

Hi guys.

I've already done an introduction but have a few questions and thought I'd post here if that's okay?
I apologise in advance if they are silly/daft questions...

After some research I've come to the conclusion that I am not big enough to go through the NHS so will have to go private (My BMI is 35+)

Q1. Does everyone who is having a Band have to go on a Pre-Diet?

Q1a. If yes.... will it be a milk diet (I've read lots of you guys have done this).. the reason I ask is I don't drink milk (even as a milkshake) I cant digest it...would another diet be available?

Q2. I have a IBD (ulcerative Colitis) would this affect my surgery?

Q3. Do I have to loose weight to show commitment before I'm offered the surgery?

Q4. What if I don't loose can they say no even though I'm paying for it?

Q5. Do the adjustments hurt?

My husband is also looking into surgery (BMI45+) and we could be offered a twin room and have both of our surgeries done on the same day and stay/recuperate together.

Q6. Has anyone on here done this with a partner?

That's all I can think of right now.... x

Hi Pixie and welcome. I can only help you with your first question I'm having a band fitted next month and in my booklet I was given there is 5 diets you can choose from. I've selected the total food replacement diet as like you I hate milk.
Good luck with it all and hopefully you'll get all the answers you need.

lol good questions :) I was NHS so pre op is a must but private is different.... not all surgeons insist on a pre op diet..... I didn't do milk just a normal low cal/carb version so no worries there :)
Cant answer q2
don't think you will have to show commitment to loosing as your going private
adjustments (as far as i'm aware) don't hurt....
there is a lady on here that has gone thru this with her hubby.....am pretty sure she will shout :) x x x

Thanks for your replies.

crystalrainbow.... I'll look out for her shout!

Toddsha35... Yah milk is the yuckiest!!

Hi guys. I've already done an introduction but have a few questions and thought I'd post here if that's okay? I apologise in advance if they are silly/daft questions... After some research I've come to the conclusion that I am not big enough to go through the NHS so will have to go private (My BMI is 35+) Q1. Does everyone who is having a Band have to go on a Pre-Diet? Q1a. If yes.... will it be a milk diet (I've read lots of you guys have done this).. the reason I ask is I don't drink milk (even as a milkshake) I cant digest it...would another diet be available? Q2. I have a IBD (ulcerative Colitis) would this affect my surgery? Q3. Do I have to loose weight to show commitment before I'm offered the surgery? Q4. What if I don't loose can they say no even though I'm paying for it? Q5. Do the adjustments hurt? My husband is also looking into surgery (BMI45+) and we could be offered a twin room and have both of our surgeries done on the same day and stay/recuperate together. Q6. Has anyone on here done this with a partner? That's all I can think of right now.... x
Hi & welcome
Q1 Yes everyone has to do a pre-op diet. It's to shrink your liver to make the surgery safer. I did a low fat diet, you don't have to do the milk diet
Q2 i don't think colitis would affect your surgery but talk to your provider
Q3 no you don't have to loose weight prior to surgery if you self fund. However you do need to be committed to make the operation a success as you will need to do all the hard work
Q4 they won't say no to surgery unless there is a medical reason as far as I'm aware. The surgeon may refuse to complete the op if you didn't shrink your liver enough on the pre-op diet
Q5 I've never found the adjustments painful, it's an odd sensation & a tiny bit uncomfortable for a second but not bad at all
Q6 there are a few people with partners who have had wls. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have the op at the same time. I really needed the help of my partner during recovery for the 1st day or two
Hope that helps
Emma

Emma that's awesome thank you so much for you reply. I never thought about having to help each other afterwards!! that's something else to think about now...

I personally didn't have to do a pre-op diet. The main important thing I had to do was stay off alcohol for a week (I think) before surgery. If you smoke (I don't), you need to quit.

Hi guys.

I've already done an introduction but have a few questions and thought I'd post here if that's okay?
I apologise in advance if they are silly/daft questions...

After some research I've come to the conclusion that I am not big enough to go through the NHS so will have to go private (My BMI is 35+)

Q1. Does everyone who is having a Band have to go on a Pre-Diet?

Q1a. If yes.... will it be a milk diet (I've read lots of you guys have done this).. the reason I ask is I don't drink milk (even as a milkshake) I cant digest it...would another diet be available?

Q2. I have a IBD (ulcerative Colitis) would this affect my surgery?

Q3. Do I have to loose weight to show commitment before I'm offered the surgery?

Q4. What if I don't loose can they say no even though I'm paying for it?

Q5. Do the adjustments hurt?

My husband is also looking into surgery (BMI45+) and we could be offered a twin room and have both of our surgeries done on the same day and stay/recuperate together.

Q6. Has anyone on here done this with a partner?

That's all I can think of right now.... x

Yes to pre op diet but there are all sorts, I did low carb low cal with small amounts of protein, basically soup and salad with a bit of chicken, and eggs for breakfast

Your ulcerative colitis affects your bowel not your stomach so might not be a problem but you might have a flare up post op and if you take meds you will need to make sure that you can get them in liquid form for post op. If you take immunosupressants that will likely require additional consideration, so you may need to pay for additional tests etc pre op

As far as I know the commitment to weight loss idea only happens with nhs (because essentially they are footing the bill), even if you are paying they won't do the op if your liver is too big. As soon as I decided on having the op I cut out all booze and reduced fats just to make sure!

I would echo comments above that of youre both laid up at same time it might be difficult

Good luck!

Not had a fill yet so can't comment, but would think it would be similar to having an injection/blood taken ie momentary discimfort

Fills are similar to giving blood. No biggie!

I think it would be ok to go in together as long as you are well prepared and depending on your circumstances

Things to think about for the first week post op!

Do you need to drive
Do you have large dogs to walk
Are there any occasions you need to do any heavy lifting

You will be exhausted after surgery and stuff like changing beds, going shopping, lifting shopping, dealing with young kids etc will make it difficult if all adults are post op.... But there are people who live alone who have had this surgery. So if they can manage you should be ok

Good luck

Preparation would be key

Back