• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Zoe_86

Hi all,
i went to the Hospital yesterday and i am due to go and see Mr Ackroyd on Monday the 17th August to discuss having the Gastric Band and hopefully get my date to have it fitted! I'm so excited but so nervous at the same time - i've only read one story on the Internet of a woman dying (Thats my only fear!!) i just wanted some stories on what to expect really if theres any advice you can all share i would be really gratefull!

Thanks xxx

hi zoe, welcome to minis, the chances of dying are low, ive had 2 bands in my 4 years of banding and im still here lol, good luck on the 17th, any questions feel free to ask xxx

liz xxx

pink_and_purple_welcome.gif

Hi Zoe and welcome to mini's :welcome:

I had my band fitted over 6 weeks ago and its the best thing I ever did, I have lost 21lb so far and I feel brilliant!

You will always read horror stories but they are in the minority and you shouldn't let them get to you or you'll never get the op done... out of fear

Expect to feel slightlu rough for a few days post op, your body will be adjusting to whats happening and you'll be on liquids for a few weeks, you may or may not be hungry at this time everyone is different but you'll be fine and start loosing weight which is the main thing

Good luck and feel free to ask anything, there is always someone on here to help you

Kate x

Hi Zoe :welcome: to Minimins.

Your in the right, there are many banders on here. I'm waiting for bypass.

Hi Zoe
Welcome to minis i had a bypass 4 days ago and like you was worried about the death stories i had read about. However as Liz says they are rare and there are lots of us on here doing really well with both bands and bypass's so just wanted to say good luck with your appointment xx

Hi Zoe

Welcome to Minimins. Dont read the scaremongering press stories. The mortality rate for Bypass is 1 in 100 and Im sure that the Band is much much less - its a much quicker, easier op and you can be in and out in a day. We are all here to tell the tale so you will be fine!

HI
I too am due to have a band in the not to distant future and reading teh story has scared me to death, it is 1 in 2000 but I worry that someone has to be that 1 !!! and everyone hopes that it is not them x
But then how many people die every year of obesety related deaths ??/
Good luck xx

Thanks!!
I'm ready to start losing some real weight - i've always been big but i just found its starting to cause problems with my fertility so it was a big kick in the right direction, i was turned down on the NHS last Thursday 6th and had a private appointment on the 10th August - thats a good mum for you!!
I'm hoping to get down from a Size 22 to a size 10-12!

The internet scares me, i read all the horror stories and think ....just my luck!!

only problem now....i can't wait!!

I had my band with Dr Ackroyd in Sheffield, private. A few others on here have had him as their surgeon. I was totally happy with the experience and would do it all again if I had to. :)

Hi Zoe and:welcome2: to minis. I too had my band done by Mr Ackroyd and I'm still here to tell the tale lol. You will be fine. He's a great surgeon and has a brilliant team behind him. Are you private or nhs?? and are you having it done at the Hallamshire or the Thornbury??

Hello and welcome to minimins :D

I've had the sleeve done by Dr. Ackroyd 6 weeks ago and here I am. At least 4 stone lighter already!!

The national average is 1% but Dr. Ackroyd is such an experienced surgeon, his is even less than that. That's with all operations, by-passes etc.

He's not the most talkative of people but he knows his stuff!

Hi,
Thinkbethin - i live in chesterfield, so its not too far to go, having it done at Thornbury - this new BMI Healthcare hospital they're changing it to!
Mixman - 4 stone already! wow well done! i hope its not too long till i'm sayin that!

I think theres alot of bad press out there, but the positives far outweigh the negatives to me! Thanks everyone, my head was an absolute shed before i came on here!!

hi and welcome to mini's. Good luck on your appointments:D

Hello and welcome to Minimins!! Well done on your consultants meeting and your decision to have wls, its a very big decision but if you are willing to work with the band it is a very good tool to loose weight.
There are so many people on here that have been through what you are going to be going through so any questions fire away.

Good luck with your weight loss journey, I look forward to seeing you around the forum!!

hi all!
just to update you, i went to see Dr Ackroyd yesterday (17/07/09) and made the date to have my gastric band on the 2nd September!! start the milk and yoghurt diet on the 23rd August!
The countdown begins................................................!!

Back