• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How sucessful is the Band?

Jacwat

Hi everyone,
I have always ruled out the gastric band but I am now having doubts. Do we only hear mainly the problem cases? I have an appointment with Surgeon tomorrow to discuss the By Band study. I read the success stories on here and I am now wondering. Oh I am so confused! x

I can happily speak for myself :) 1 year post op and 117lb down including the per op diet.... 8st 5lb gone !!! my local hospital is just thinking of joining in the by-band study and if i remember rightly the dietician said the results tend to equal out over the 2 year period anyway.

I can also speak from my experience, that having a band is hard work..... if your a grazer, choc, biscuit, crisp eater they all go down far too easy............... BUT which every surgery you should have (or be given) you have to work hard at.... they all have their good and bad points, none of them are fail safe..... its up to you to grab the chance with both hands and work blooming hard to get the results.......

I don't regret mine for a second..... a bands not for everyone..... but be assured which ever you end up with ....you will be given to best of after care.............. after all they want your results for their study..... go to your appointment and listen to what's on offer.

You are going to get a wide range of reply's here...... there are many successful banders here............. yes you will get the unsuccessful ones too.......

I wish you all the best with it ......... i was funded by the NHS and decided that if they were still offering the bands it couldn't be all bad??

I can happily speak for myself :) 1 year post op and 117lb down including the per op diet.... 8st 5lb gone !!! my local hospital is just thinking of joining in the by-band study and if i remember rightly the dietician said the results tend to equal out over the 2 year period anyway.

I can also speak from my experience, that having a band is hard work..... if your a grazer, choc, biscuit, crisp eater they all go down far too easy............... BUT which every surgery you should have (or be given) you have to work hard at.... they all have their good and bad points, none of them are fail safe..... its up to you to grab the chance with both hands and work blooming hard to get the results.......

I don't regret mine for a second..... a bands not for everyone..... but be assured which ever you end up with ....you will be given to best of after care.............. after all they want your results for their study..... go to your appointment and listen to what's on offer.

You are going to get a wide range of reply's here...... there are many successful banders here............. yes you will get the unsuccessful ones too.......

I wish you all the best with it ......... i was funded by the NHS and decided that if they were still offering the bands it couldn't be all bad??

Thanks so much Crystal, I am so messed up. I thought I had made my mind up but I just want something that will be a long term thing. I am not a grazer at all. I eat too much at meal times so think a restrictive op will be best. You have done amazingly well! x

Hi just joining in here, a bypass would restrict because you can not physically eat to much, well I can't :)

Last edited:
Personally i think i would have loved to have been part of the by band study...it would have taken the decision out of my hands lol i was confused and the more i read the more round in a circle i went lol Like i say which ever you have grab the chance and work as hard as you can.....follow the guidelines your given and if you don't break the rules, you'll do fine :) I am a grazer/chocolate eater the lot also emotional eater too but my band still works for me, and its still empty !!! I have (so far) managed by the rules alone..... 2 stone from goal weight i may need that fill to get me there, but for me........ i try and keep a normal life (food wise) nothing is forbidden, everything in moderation and that has worked perfectly till now :)

If your a volume eater the band should be perfect, but as i say...........work with whatever you get......... they all do the job....... some better?quicker/slower but the aim is all the same...... yes i think the band has longer term problems, but so do the others..... obviously i cant speak long term...... but 1 year out and still going great........ my thinking is to learn as much as possible along the way......should my band fail for whatever reason, hopefully i'm better equipped to go it alone, if i have too.................. of course failing a crystal ball who knows :)

Have an open mind hunni see what happens ........ i quite like fate making my decisions :) i had to choose and was in 2 minds.........for me i was pretty ill with cruddy symptoms at the time, i certainly didn't want to add to my already big list..... dumping seemed to be a step too far................. would i change my mind now??? don't think so..... its been a huge emotional journey, i've learned so much about myself and come out the other side a better stronger person....

Good luck :)

Personally i think i would have loved to have been part of the by band study...it would have taken the decision out of my hands lol i was confused and the more i read the more round in a circle i went lol Like i say which ever you have grab the chance and work as hard as you can.....follow the guidelines your given and if you don't break the rules, you'll do fine :) I am a grazer/chocolate eater the lot also emotional eater too but my band still works for me, and its still empty !!! I have (so far) managed by the rules alone..... 2 stone from goal weight i may need that fill to get me there, but for me........ i try and keep a normal life (food wise) nothing is forbidden, everything in moderation and that has worked perfectly till now :)

If your a volume eater the band should be perfect, but as i say...........work with whatever you get......... they all do the job....... some better?quicker/slower but the aim is all the same...... yes i think the band has longer term problems, but so do the others..... obviously i cant speak long term...... but 1 year out and still going great........ my thinking is to learn as much as possible along the way......should my band fail for whatever reason, hopefully i'm better equipped to go it alone, if i have too.................. of course failing a crystal ball who knows :)

Have an open mind hunni see what happens ........ i quite like fate making my decisions :) i had to choose and was in 2 minds.........for me i was pretty ill with cruddy symptoms at the time, i certainly didn't want to add to my already big list..... dumping seemed to be a step too far................. would i change my mind now??? don't think so..... its been a huge emotional journey, i've learned so much about myself and come out the other side a better stronger person....

Good luck :)

Thanks you so much Crystal. I think your right my mind has been between the bypass and the sleeve but to be honest the long term effects of the bypass scare me. I will keep an open mind and speak to the surgeon tomorrow. How much have you lost altogether Crystal? x

since my heaviest 11 stone total Lol since the start of my pre op last year 8 1/2 stone :) my start weight was pretty much same as yours 287lb just a few more than your starting weight .......now i'm down to 170lb :) 12 stone 2lb

since my heaviest 11 stone total Lol since the start of my pre op last year 8 1/2 stone :) my start weight was pretty much same as yours 287lb just a few more than your starting weight .......now i'm down to 170lb :) 12 stone 2lb

Oh my god, that's amazing, well done. Such an inspiration! Well done xx

LOL bless you ty :) x x x good luck tomorrow hunni ask lots of questions and trust whatever happens you can make it work .............you'll have all the support you need...x x x

I got my band August 23 2014 and can say it's best decision I have ever made!

I agree with all that crystal has already advise, not for everyone but I had huge portions and it really has had impact on what I can eat...lost 4st 5.75lbs as far that's just over my 6mth anniversary on Saturday!!

Good luck for appt and let us know how u get on! The doc will explain all the procedures and you will be able to make informed decision hopefully!! :) xx

I have a band. It's not easy. I'm a binge eater and a grazer!!!! I have lost just under 4 stone in 6 months and am down to 11st 7lb

Mu surgeon said a band is great for those who have large appetites and eat large portions

Also there are no absorption issues with band and the op is far less invasive and ultimately reversible

Good luck with whatever you choose

I have a band. It's not easy. I'm a binge eater and a grazer!!!! I have lost just under 4 stone in 6 months and am down to 11st 7lb

Mu surgeon said a band is great for those who have large appetites and eat large portions

Also there are no absorption issues with band and the op is far less invasive and ultimately reversible

Good luck with whatever you choose

Thanks Kursty, you have done amazing! I had my appointment with the surgeon yesterday and he has recommended the Bypass. I am so confused as the nurse recommended the sleeve to me at my first appointment, I am happy to go with what they recommend, just want it to happen! x

The band is reversible but take note you will almost certainly be left with scarring on your stomach making future surgery more likely to have complications. The bypass is also reversible as a quick job by just joining your 2 stomachs together. The sleeve is not reversible.

The bypass is not recommended to be reversed it is only done is extreme circumstances and only as a matter of life and death and ax we have seen on here very unlikely unless you had loads of money more than having it done in the first place.

I declined to take part in the By-band study as I decided the Band was not for me. The surgeon recommended the Bypass for me in the end. Just waiting for date now! x

I wanted the sleeve because of all the research I did but as my consultant said if the bypass didn't work there is always the sleeve but if you remove most of the stomach there is nothing else to remove. Not that my bypass is not going to work because I won't let it lol,

I wanted the sleeve because of all the research I did but as my consultant said if the bypass didn't work there is always the sleeve but if you remove most of the stomach there is nothing else to remove. Not that my bypass is not going to work because I won't let it lol,

That's exactly what the surgeon said to me mouse, the bypass can be reversed although very difficult and very unusual. The sleeve can't. It's such a difficult decision isn't it? There are pros and cons to all procedures, its a case of putting my faith in his decision to a certain extent. Your bypass will not fail as you are doing so well! x

Back