• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hey all,

Ive decided to join as i feel i will need to have a community of people who understand what i will be going through.

I am a pcos sufferer, Gestational Diabetic, & now pre diabetic. Over the many years i have tried numerous times to lose weight, which i do succed but will always cone back within a small amount of time, as im sure some of you are aware it can be so drepressing.

I was recently referred for a hernia and the DR in charge was in fact a bariatric DR and was concerned about my constant weight loss and suggested for me to be referred for Bariatric surgery.

Next month I will be seeing the bariatric assessment team & on the same day to see the bariatric consultant.

My husband is not so supportive of this method and wants me to work harder to get the weight off, but im doing me and allowing my body to healthy and young.

I am currently 9 months post baby #4 breastfeeding & im at my heaviest 22stone

I currently work out 5x a week30 - 40 min a time.

Anyone else at the beginning like me?

For those already been through it, what am i to expect?

Irene44

Hi and welcome xx

Sarnie

hey all,

Ive decided to join as i feel i will need to have a community of people who understand what i will be going through.

I am a pcos sufferer, Gestational Diabetic, & now pre diabetic. Over the many years i have tried numerous times to lose weight, which i do succed but will always cone back within a small amount of time, as im sure some of you are aware it can be so drepressing.

I was recently referred for a hernia and the DR in charge was in fact a bariatric DR and was concerned about my constant weight loss and suggested for me to be referred for Bariatric surgery.

Next month I will be seeing the bariatric assessment team & on the same day to see the bariatric consultant.

My husband is not so supportive of this method and wants me to work harder to get the weight off, but im doing me and allowing my body to healthy and young.

Hi and welcome, I think most of us can relate to the yoyo dieting and getting frustrated with ourselves for not being able to do it, but it's not that simple, we fight our own bodies all the time and for a lot of people like me and maybe you, we're just fighting a losing battle, so I'm near the beginning of my journey for WLS. I'm under Luton and Dunstable hospital, which hospital are you under? They all vary quite a lot in their procedures. At the start if mine I had to do a 4 week milk diet, now I've been put on a low calorie diet for 6 weeks and go back this Friday to see what the next step is. x

Emma1504

Hello & welcome.
Hopefully your OH will come round to the idea.
As for the process to WLS it seems different for different areas.
Let us know what area you are in & maybe someone will be able to help.
Be interested in your journey we are all in this together.

Bling Babe

Hi and welcome, i think each and everyone one of has understand ps the yo yo dieting, getting the weight off is the (relatively) easy part but we all struggle to keep it off, that’s why we are here. I’m also under Luton and Dunstable, had my bypass 5th April after 22 months in the system, you assessment period depends on your BMI it will be either 6 month or 1 year on tier 3, I think it’s only Luton that make you do 4 weeks milk diet at the very start of your journey with them and then again obviously pre-op, you will then move onto the next stage which varies at different hospitals but will include more waiting and appointments, you may have to see a psychologist as well. You will have to jump through lots of nhs hoops but it’s definitely worth it, use the time to research absolutely everything you can regarding your surgery and living with you “tool” always remember wls is not a magic wand it is only a tool to work with, regarding the hernia many of us have had them and most surgeons repair them at the same time as your wls. Which hospital are you at and do you know which surgery you would like? Good luck keep in touch xx

Parsnip

hey all,

Hi and welcome, sounds like we have a lot in common. My fourth is almost a year, breastfeeding and I'm just under 22st now. Not diabetic (not even during pregnancy) but do have pcos... The joy.

I was referred for wls in November 2016 but found out I was pregnant Feb 2017. I'd just got my first hospital appointment through from the hospital, they wanted me to attend still so I did and it was agreed to delay my journey for a year so I started back again in April. I've seen a lovely Dr, the pyschologist, nutritionist and a nurse and I'm being put forward at the November MDT meeting so hopefully will be moving to tier 4 soon. I have a few tests before November (ECG, ultrasound and sleep apnea test) but it's all on track.

Which hospital are you with?

Laaux

hey all,

Hello and welcome :)
I think we’ve all felt how you feel right now, af the beginning of our journey. Do you know which operation you’ll be having?
I am a PCOS sufferer myself and I am over a year post op VSG. I have lost almost 8 stone and I can honestly say, it’s the best decision I’ve ever made and nobody else can make that decision for you. You have to be ready and if your loved ones can see how determined and ready you are, they will soon come on board. Take Care and Best of Luck x

Maria61

hey all,

Hello and welcome, we are all here to help and support each other. I am one year post op this week and like Bling I too am under Luton hospital. I wish you good luck xxx

Hi and welcome, sounds like we have a lot in common. My fourth is almost a year, breastfeeding and I'm just under 22st now. Not diabetic (not even during pregnancy) but do have pcos... The joy.

I was referred for wls in November 2016 but found out I was pregnant Feb 2017. I'd just got my first hospital appointment through from the hospital, they wanted me to attend still so I did and it was agreed to delay my journey for a year so I started back again in April. I've seen a lovely Dr, the pyschologist, nutritionist and a nurse and I'm being put forward at the November MDT meeting so hopefully will be moving to tier 4 soon. I have a few tests before November (ECG, ultrasound and sleep apnea test) but it's all on track.

Which hospital are you with?

Hi Parsnip,

Oh the joys of PCOS eh??

Yes we have a lot in common, have you thought about post surgery & breastfeeding? I usually breastfeed for 2 years although I am really needing the surgery to help get my health back on track.

I am under Homerton Hospital, my 1st appointment is next Monday and I am nervous as well as excited.

Which hospital are you under?

X

Hello and welcome :)
I think we’ve all felt how you feel right now, af the beginning of our journey. Do you know which operation you’ll be having?
I am a PCOS sufferer myself and I am over a year post op VSG. I have lost almost 8 stone and I can honestly say, it’s the best decision I’ve ever made and nobody else can make that decision for you. You have to be ready and if your loved ones can see how determined and ready you are, they will soon come on board. Take Care and Best of Luck x

Thank you Laaux,

Its so hard when you want to talk about it all, hes a fit man and I dont think he will ever understand my struggles which is OK.

I was looking at the sleeve, but what would you advise?

X

Parsnip

Hi Parsnip,

Oh the joys of PCOS eh??

Yes we have a lot in common, have you thought about post surgery & breastfeeding? I usually breastfeed for 2 years although I am really needing the surgery to help get my health back on track.

I am under Homerton Hospital, my 1st appointment is next Monday and I am nervous as well as excited.

Which hospital are you under?

X

PCOS sucks balls!

They've told me I'll need to stop breastfeeding before surgery but my plan is to cut right back to minimal feeds (although I have no idea how as she atill feeds super regularly). In an ideal world I'd let her self wean like the others but don't want to wait until she's 3.5/4 years old to have surgery.

If it's your first appointment, you may still get to feed through until 2, I'm not sure on Homertons timeframes. I live in Burton but my tier 3 program is based at Dudley. My tier 4 will be at Telford and my surgery could be at one of four hospitals... It's crazy. When I was first referred I imagined idI be at Derby as it's closest but my GP had her own reasons (which shes never explained to me) and whilst it's a pain to get to my appointments, I'm so impressed with all the staff I've encountered so far.

Laaux

Thank you Laaux,

Its so hard when you want to talk about it all, hes a fit man and I dont think he will ever understand my struggles which is OK.

I was looking at the sleeve, but what would you advise?

X

I had the sleeve and I’m personally very happy with my decision but we are all different and I’d definitely recommend going through all options with your surgeon to find what’s best for you x