• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie...

pedy

Hello everyone,

this is my first time on here. It is great to see that you are all on the journey like myself. I'm still a newbee :) I have had my first appointment at the hospital to discuss which weight loss option I would like. I am leaning towards the sleeve but airing on caution and wondering whether to have the band. I've heard about all of the pros and cons for both, but people are saying that the sleeve is better. I really don' know what to do. I've been reading information about the sleeve and the leakage that can happen and I've been wondering if the staples are strong. Can anyone advise? and can anyone suggest where else I can look for information?

Hello everyone,

this is my first time on here. It is great to see that you are all on the journey like myself. I'm still a newbee :) I have had my first appointment at the hospital to discuss which weight loss option I would like. I am leaning towards the sleeve but airing on caution and wondering whether to have the band. I've heard about all of the pros and cons for both, but people are saying that the sleeve is better. I really don' know what to do. I've been reading information about the sleeve and the leakage that can happen and I've been wondering if the staples are strong. Can anyone advise? and can anyone suggest where else I can look for information?
Hi and welcome.
Which hospital are you at?
As for which op you have, some hospitals don't even offer the band anymore due to complications. It definitely works for some people but I didn't even consider it as an option, especially at my weight. Generally your surgeon will have an opinion on what would be your best option. Initially I learnt towards the sleeve but after researching I decided the bypass would be better for me. My main reasons are 1) I very occasionally get heartburn and the sleeve can make it worse, 2) I want the fear of dumping as I am more of a sweet tooth than huge portion person, 3) there is a relatively high rate of people converting from sleeve to bypass, I didn't want a second op.
Have a read through some of the diaries (although many of the more up to date ones are in the restricted sections for members with a over 100 posts so you might want to boost your post count to access them).
I would also recommend a book called 'Living with Bariatric surgery'. Research as much as you can and use the wait time to ensure your head is in the right place and you fully understand your options and what your choice will entail post op x

Hello everyone,

welcome!! I completely agree with parsnip on this one! That is literally why I picked the bypass! I’m in for mine on the 29th of July... it is literally your choice.. my husband had a sleeve years ago (12) pre meeting me... and he said he had never suffered heartburn until he had this op!!! He was in agony for years... in fortunately for him it didn’t work and he gain all his weight... where abouts are you from?? Every hospital has different procedures to the weight management road... I’ve been in mine just over a year :) x

Hello everyone,

Hi and welcome, I also agree with Parsnip, after research I heard too many complications with the band and a lot of surgeons won't even offer the band as an option for those reasons and so many people end up having bypass after initially having a sleeve, that I opted for RNY Gastric Bypass as I too didn't want the risk of having to go through another op later on. If I had a choice of only sleeve or band I'd personally go with the sleeve. But for me I'd choose bypass every time. Every op has risks of complications no matter which you choose, serious complications are thankfully rare these days. My advice is research, research, research and then research some more. Good luck x

welcome!! I completely agree with parsnip on this one! That is literally why I picked the bypass! I’m in for mine on the 29th of July... it is literally your choice.. my husband had a sleeve years ago (12) pre meeting me... and he said he had never suffered heartburn until he had this op!!! He was in agony for years... in fortunately for him it didn’t work and he gain all his weight... where abouts are you from?? Every hospital has different procedures to the weight management road... I’ve been in mine just over a year :) x
That's such a shame for your husband, wouldn't he consider a revision to bypass? x

That's such a shame for your husband, wouldn't he consider a revision to bypass? x
Hi sarnie! No he wouldn’t unfortunately he’s petrified of general aesthetic.. he’s had 5 big operations on his arm due to a car accident... so he just wouldn’t do it... unfortunately x

Hi and welcome, I can only reiterate what has been said before...research research research and research some more so you are fully up to speed on how wls will affect you and what is involved...for life...I wasn’t able to have a sleeve due to reflux but I’m very pleased with my bypass. I was fortunate in getting my wls on the nhs at Luton and Dunstable they won’t offer the band there either due to too many complications however there are some real success storey on this forum for banded people. Try to read as many diaries as you can to help you understand and make a choice.
Good luck and please keep in touch xx

Back