• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Bypass vs Gastric Sleeve... Let's discuss

Samkisses

I’m still trying to decide which would be the best option for me. At the moment I am leaning towards the Sleeve, but still a bit unsure.
If you’ve had either, please let me know how you’ve got on with is post op. Pros and cons?
Your feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sami :D

Hi there are loads of posts on here with this same question so have a hunt through them for information. My advice is read read read and research. The consultant will also have their own thoughts, which are much more well based than ours, as to which operation will suit you the best. Good luck with your journey whatever you decide..it's quite a roller coaster!

Basically the best opinion is the surgeon's opinion after they've got a good idea of your other health issues, your weight history and your issues around food. If you're not sure, the best port of call is to have a consultation and discuss the options.

I went for a mini-bypass and I did so because, after talking through all the options with the surgeon, I felt that with my life-long weight issues (I was first under a dietitian at age 9) I needed the 'insurance policy' of malabsorption and not a reliance on restriction alone. The surgeon was happy to do either sleeve or mini-bypass and felt the risks and rewards of either, in my case, were about the same.

While I personally went for a MGB, I feel we need to be very careful about not pushing our choices ahead of the other surgerical options. We never have all the facts about your history or the necessary training to be able to make these type of recommendations.

Band, bypass or sleeve it is a question for you and your surgeon who will know what is the best option for you, believe me. It is not for us to try and sway you.

Kar was spot on when she read and research, but be very careful about taking advise from other patients who can have very biased opinions and often incorrect information.

Good luck.

I have to agree with other posters, I had done some research prior to my appointment and in my head I had decided on a sleeve however I went with my consultants advice (not getting a sleeve after all) on what procedure he thought would work best both in the short and long term for me, I think that it's best to be 100% honest with your team ((and yourself)) when describing your eating habits, food choices and previous attempts at weight loss and subsequent gains that way they can guide you to what will work for you X

Hi All!

Thanks for your replies.
I'm just very anxious at the moment. I've done so much research so really just wanted to know the experiences of people who have actually been through/ are going through it. I've not discussed with the Surgeon yet - that will probably put my mind at rest.

Thanks again all! Good luck on your journeys xx

Back